What's a good keyboard for getting Rhodes, Wurlitzer, piano and Hammond organ sounds?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I've looked at other options and the GAS for a Nord Electro 6D 73 key is getting strong. =)

What's the sampler section like? Can I load in my ambient samples and have some control over the filter and envelopes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    Nord, straight off, great sounds. There’s one near me going for £750 s/h so they come up at what I’d consider a reasonable price (considering how good they are) from time to time.

If thats too pricey, the offerings from Casio are getting better all the time -just need to get past the memories of 1980s Casios that most of us carry. :)
    Nord, straight off, great sounds. There’s one near me going for £750 s/h so they come up at what I’d consider a reasonable price (considering how good they are) from time to time.

If thats too pricey, the offerings from Casio are getting better all the time -just need to get past the memories of 1980s Casios that most of us carry. :)
    I had a Casio CZ-101. Loved it.

If I get the Nord, I'll get a new one.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    Philtre said:

I had a Casio CZ-101. Loved it.

If I get the Nord, I'll get a new one.
    Another one for the research is dexibell, my keyboardist raves about them and the quality of their sounds.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Philtre said:
    I've looked at other options and the GAS for a Nord Electro 6D 73 key is getting strong. =)

What's the sampler section like? Can I load in my ambient samples and have some control over the filter and envelopes?
    On my electro 5d the filter can only be influenced by velocity I think, and the amp envelope control is extremely basic/limited - not very flexible but the sample section is much better than nothing as a bonus. Not sure if the 6d improves on this.
    I got a new Electro 6D. When it's on there is some transformer hum coming from the unit. Anyone with a Nord get this or should I get another one?
    Philtre said:
    I got a new Electro 6D. When it's on there is some transformer hum coming from the unit. Anyone with a Nord get this or should I get another one?
    Quite typical I think. Mine does too, and when I searched online I found that it isn't unusual.

Other than that I guess you're enjoying it?
    edited August 2019
    horse said:
    Philtre said:
    Quite typical I think. Mine does too, and when I searched online I found that it isn't unusual.

The first one I got from Andertons didn't hum so much (I think...) but something was rattling around inside, possibly a loose screw or washer, so I sent it back and got a replacement the next day (great service from Andertons, by the way). The replacement seems to hum a bit more. I notice it because I'm playing in a quiet space at home. As you said, this seems to be a common issue with Nords.

Apart from that I find it very intuitive and quick to operate. I like the 8 Live Preset locations as I can quickly retain the settings that I'm messing around with. I'm still getting used to the 73 key SW keyboard, although I need to build up my finger strength.

So far I like it and it's a keeper. A bit surprised that the onboard memory is low by today's standards (1Gb for piano, 512Mb for samples), I feel it should be double that. I'll probably try out some of the other piano samples that Nord has on their website, I just have to figure what happens to the presets that use samples that are replaced or deleted by the Sound Manager software.
    Philtre said:
    horse said:
    Philtre said:

The first one I got from Andertons didn't hum so much (I think...) but something was rattling around inside, possibly a loose screw or washer, so I sent it back and got a replacement the next day (great service from Andertons, by the way). The replacement seems to hum a bit more. I notice it because I'm playing in a quiet space at home. As you said, this seems to be a common issue with Nords.

Apart from that I find it very intuitive and quick to operate. I like the 8 Live Preset locations as I can quickly retain the settings that I'm messing around with. I'm still getting used to the 73 key SW keyboard, although I need to build up my finger strength.

So far I like it and it's a keeper. A bit surprised that the onboard memory is low by today's standards (1Gb for piano, 512Mb for samples), I feel it should be double that. I'll probably try out some of the other piano samples that Nord has on their website, I just have to figure what happens to the presets that use samples that are replaced or deleted by the Sound Manager software.
    Good to hear. I've stopped noticing the hum, although I tend to have the volume up I guess, which also makes the SW keys more playable in my experience. I find I can play quite subtle piano fine on it, and for actual Hammond the waterfall key shape was a revelation for me in terms of easily swiping along them. Great compromise for both imo.

I use the setlist function on my 5d a lot, and yours will be better in terms of not chopping off tails when you switch patches.

On mine if I replace a sample then the new one is used instead in patches which used the old one I think. I think the software shows you if a sample is in use in any patches though (I think), which helps avoid unexpected problems.

You do pay a premium for Nords, but the quality is high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    After more playing around I think that Nord got this right. Everything is hands on, there's no deep menu diving. If you want to change something there's a knob or a control for it. I've done my time with software synths and menus, I just want to turn a knob or pull a drawbar (ooh er missus). This one just does it.