Another Girl Another Planet lesson

What's Hot
Been getting really into the Only Ones recently and was googling for a live version of this tune when I stumbled across this 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80dpI65qN1o

Never seen this guys channel before but I think he does a great job here , have now subscribed and will have a look through his other stuff when I’m back from watching plucky Bournemouth getting their asses handed to them by Arab Oil Money FC
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    Top notch, love this song, thanks

PS when is Brooks due back? He's a great player, and there's still more to come from him.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    It's a good channel, if maybe a bit obscure sometimes. I have recently been massacring the Johnny Thunders version of Pipeline due to him ( not that it's the most technical song in the world but it was under my radar previously). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It's a good channel, if maybe a bit obscure sometimes. I have recently been massacring the Johnny Thunders version of Pipeline due to him ( not that it's the most technical song in the world but it was under my radar previously). 
    AGAP is at the outer limits of what I deem to be an acceptable lead guitar part. Anything more than that is pure self-indulgence  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Freebird said:
    AGAP is at the outer limits of what I deem to be an acceptable lead guitar part. Anything more than that is pure self-indulgence  ;)
    There is a riff, I guess what you'd call a melodic part and a bit that goes wahh wahh wahh so not a lot of lead guitar, depending upon your definition, in the Thunders choon. 
    He also gives a lesson on the "proper' Pipeline which I haven't done and surf guitar as a genre is instrumental rather than improvised so there very little lead guitar in the sense that you might identify from Hendrix, Santana, etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I have idly wondered whether the @JohnPerry of this forum is the same John Perry of Only Ones fame.

There's an album called The Only Ones Live which has my favourite lead guitar sound (and playing) ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    People like John Perry and Steve & Mick Jones saved music  

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Freebird said:
    People like John Perry and Mick & Steve Jones saved music   :)

Have you read Steve Jones book ‘Lonely Boy’ ?

Absolutely superb read (derailing my own thread)
  • The Only Ones made three albums packed with excellent songs before imploding. I loved Peters delivery of his lyrics. Dig out "Why Don't You Kill Yourself" for an example of his slurred, precise-yet-sloppy timing. I loved the playing of the whole band. Some of the live recordings are a bit of a mess, but none of the London gigs I went to were anything other than stunning experiences. 

Covering AGAP was obligatory when I was in covers bands. Always went down well. I'm doing "The Big Sleep" as part of my acoustic offering for open mics. 

The YouTube channel Dom has found is pretty good, I think. 

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    I had that as an audition piece for a band I applied to join in my early playing days.  I had no problem with the lead intro but couldn't get the rhythm part of the intro to sound right.  A clear case of a young(ish) guitarist with the wrong priorities, my rhythm playing was badly underdeveloped.

It didn't matter because they had a rhythm player and it was a lead they were looking for.  The guy I was applying to replace had busked the intro solo so they were pleased I'd learned the part and I got the gig.  (Whether the gig was worth getting is debatable, but that's a different story).

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    Didn't John Perry have a wee guitar column in a guitar mag in the late 80s, early 90s?  

I do like ACPG website, songs you don't see anywhere else (Magazine, Big Star, Joy Division, James Honeyman-Scott, Gang of Four).  First came across it with the Cinnamon Girl lesson. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    I have watched Adrian on "anyone can play guitar "for years.........he's great
    Damien Bacci is great too .........take a look at his channel
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Yep... I’ve been a long time fan of his YouTube output... :)
  • Dominic said:
    I have watched Adrian on "anyone can play guitar "for years.........he's great
    Damien Bacci is great too .........take a look at his channel
    Cheers Dominic , I forgot about Mr Bacci - I’ve got his rockabilly guitar dvd tucked away somewhere.