TP LINK M5 Deco Mesh issue

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Think I've cracked it.... no idea how!

Put the M5 in router mode, disabled the DHCP on the main modem/router. Wasn't recognised, so set the M5 to a static IP, and it seems to be working now.

PLEX on teh NAS is showing as accessible for remote access..... although i still cannot connect to the bloody service from outside my network. Grrrrrr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    edited July 2019
    You're halfway there,  but it's a bugger's muddle like that.  You need to configure your original router in bridging mode ideally, doing it the way you have. You also then need to do port forwarding for access from outside the LAN.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    UPDATE - I've done it!

After several attempts of pratting around - and ensurng Mrs Farley wouldn't be in - I put the Netgear router into modem only mode, and selected the Deco to be in Router (PPoE) mode. The steps I missed were assuming I needed to enter the broadband username etc. in the Netgear still - instead of in the Deco.

All working now!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Ahh good news - I'd been considering some mesh gubbins myself but this kind of put me off as it sounded like it wasn't working properly! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GibbsyGibbsy Frets: 0
    Hi, I am in a very similar situation (BT Smart Hub 2, Netgear Switch, 3 x Deco M9's) and extremely frustrated. I bought the M9's to provide a mesh network around my home, with each one connected by cat5e cable to the switch. I am thinking that this should be straightforward, configuring the Decos in Access Point mode, using Ethernet Backhaul. Alas not so simple!!!

Although my general IT knowledge is decent, my networking knowledge is basic and I cannot get this to work, even after days of trying. If FarleyUK is still an active member on this forum (or anyone else who wishes to comment), I would really appreciate some help in summarizing exactly what configuration changes I need to make, to what, and in what sequence, to resolve my issues.

Thanks, 
  • You want the Mesh system to act as your router and handle all DHCP and routing duties.

If you're on Virgin, you can put your Superhub into "modem mode" and then connect the Ethernet from that to the master mesh unit. If you're on ADSL (or similar), sometimes they can't have a "modem mode", so disable the wireless on that so they don't compete and then see if you can put one of the Ethernet ports into what's called a DMZ and then plug the mesh system into that.

It can be a little long-winded but it should work with either system.
  • GibbsyGibbsy Frets: 0
    Thank you for your post. I'm using BT FTTP which appears to be working fine and, I think, you are correct in that I want the Mesh system to handle all routing and DHCP duties.

I have a setting on my BT Smart Hub2 to turn its DHCP off and will do so, along with turning its wifi off. I need to read up a bit on the DMZ but know where its settings are. Thanks again, I'll be back!