10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• BoltersBolters Frets: 41

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    I convinced my Mum I just had to have a red strat. I can't remember the brand. It may have been an Argos job.
    I do remember it was horrible. Maybe '93 or '94.

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    1965 Fender Stratocaster

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    1961 Gibson ES175

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    Trying to convince the missus I just have to have a '56 Les Paul Custom.

5: What strings do you use? 
    Not overly picky. Elixir or Daddario. 11 to whatever. Rotosounds were nice but I keep snapping them and I like pure nickel strings on occasion.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    Less gain, more mids.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 
    trying not to think about going onstage.

8: ...And five minutes after? 
    Victory beers.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
    I used to lock up. Stage fright. Alcohol was the only answer for years 

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Play with other musicians as much as possible.
    And whatever you do don't sell that Tyler Psychedelic Vomit, you won't find one like it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    Hohner SG Lion, I believe it was an 18th birthday present from my folks about 30 years ago.

ESP LTD BK600 - the only electric I own currently

See above - although I have an Epiphone acoustic it's technically not mine and I'm just looking after it.

Either a decent valve amp I can play at home volumes; a Power Station attenuator to enable that;  a 'silent' modelling set-up such as  Helix; or to start putting together a pedalboard in which case which pedal first? - or all of the above - help me decide!?!

5: What strings do you use?  Ernie Ball Slinky 10s currently though am interested in the Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom sets for drop-tuning stuff... D'Addario Phosphor Bronze on jumbo acoustic.

Have never recorded myself playing guitar (yet).

I don't play onstage but if I did - wondering how I got there.

see above - wondering how I get off again!

finding myself onstage would likely be that thing.

As Frank Zappa said 'shut up and play yer guitar'... 
    practice more, play with others.

• FentoFento Frets: 1
    Right! here we go!

An old Axe start style in grey. probably about 1993.

ESP ltd V250

Samick Artist series flying v

Hopefully a LTD EC 1000 in see through cherry

Ernie Ball Hybrid slinky, 9-46. Or if im tuned in D 10-52.

Never let the drummer mix it

I used to do basic scales to warm up

Clean the guitar and have a beer

Snapped the jack plug in my guitar! Didn't realise until the song had finished

Never give up.
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    It was an 'Axe' branded strat copy bought mail order as part of a starter kit, just like this one. Not sure of the exact date but I reckon probably 1988, persuaded my mum to get it for me while dad was away on a military deployment, emotional blackmail may have been involved!

My 1999 Epiphone Sheraton, but it's a very tough choice. I would probably die from smoke inhalation while trying to decide! 

As above.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Interface.

Always D'Addario. EXL110 Nickel Wound 10-46 on electrics, EJ16 Phosphor Bronze 12 - 53 on acoustics, EXL170 Nickel Round Wound 45 - 100 on bass. 

Never done a studio recording but the monthly jam nights I play at are recorded for YouTube. Nothing stands out as needing to change but I've been told I could afford to smile a bit more!

Current live play is just at the aforementioned jam nights so usually just enjoying the music and chatting with fellow jammers.

Enjoying the music and chatting with fellow jammers, the mental dissection comes later!

Nothing major but I've had a couple of songs called that I had never heard and had no idea how to play. As long as I can suss out the key I usually just throw something together based on what everyone else is doing but if in real doubt I just sit that section out and don't play anything!

Knowing some basic theory will help no end in developing your own sound, so don't resist it. Copying from tabs or playing by ear without thinking about 'why' things are played will only get you so far.
    An 'Axe' branded strat copy in black, just like this one, bought through mail order as part of a starter set. I talked my mum into buying it for me while dad was away on a military deployment, emotional blackmail may have been involved! Can't confirm the exact date but I reckon it was probably 1987.

Very tough choice but I'd most likely settle on my 1999 Epiphone Sheraton. I would probably die from smoke inhalation while tying to make my mind up!

As above

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface

Always D'Addario.
    EXL110 Nickel Wound on Electric, 10 - 46
    EJ16 Phosphor Bronze on Acoustic, 12 - 53
    EXL170 Nickel Round Wound on Bass, 45 - 100

I haven't done any studio recording yet, but the regular jam night I attend is filmed for YouTube. Nothing springs to mind that I'd be desperate to change but I have been told it wouldn't hurt to smile a bit more!

My only live performing at the moment is at the aforementioned Jam Night, so enjoying the music and chatting to fellow jammers.

Enjoying the music and chatting to fellow jammers, the self analysis comes later!

Nothing major, although I have had a couple of songs called that I have never heard and had no clue how to play. I normally just try to work out the key then listen in and throw something together based on what everyone else is doing, but if in real doubt I just sit that section out and don't play anything! 

A bit of basic theory knowledge will help you to establish your own sound a lot quicker, so don't resist it! Copying from tabs or playing by ear will let you play the tunes but knowing why things are played the way they are will open a whole world of opportunity and make you a fully rounded player.
  • AornicAornic Frets: 474
    A distant cousin gave me a beat up acoustic with two missing strings that he had discarded. It had a small hole in the back.

My 2004 Fender Custom Shop 1956 Stratocaster.

A majority of my guitars were built a few years apart from one another in the early to mid 2000's. I'd say my Custom Shop Strat, a 2004.

A Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Re-Issue.

I generally use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies 10-46. On my acoustic, Elixirs. 

Nothing I've recorded has been "released" so I can change up anything still.

Dreading.

Regretting.

I solo played Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer while, accidentally, having the Digitech Drop pedal downtuning the entire song to D Standard. My stage fright and nerves made me not notice this happening, although the latency effect of the pedal was causing me to mess up because I was playing without thinking it was on and, therefore, not compensating for that.

This literally happened last night.

Try and learn some theory, it might be easier to remember while you're younger. Get into varied styles of guitar instead of focusing on metal. Maybe get an Ibanez JEM instead of an ESP KH-2 in 2007, for the single coil options as well as the hot lead-loving pickups.

Vintage V100 Icon Distressed Lemon drop

Echo/Delay pedal/Headphones.

GHS Boomers Red 10.5-52

I've never recorded anything.

I've never been on stage.

N/A

N/A

Stop making excuses as to why you can't play and start finding a way to actually play.
    Kimbara strat copy - my dad bought it for me when I was 10-12 years old at end of 80's/early 90's when he took up guitar, sold it in my early/mid twenties to pay for rent, gutted I did that! Couldn't get my head around the books teachings early on before the internet (still can't), so didn't take up guitar properly until mid 30's 4/5 years ago but learning chords and songs so much easier with youtube nowadays!

Cheap Westfield acoustic, only have one acou & one elec and my dad gave me that one - still guilty I sold the Kimbara I guess.

Given both my guitars at pretty much same time so don't know, 10/12 year health probs limit my work and don't have the disposable income to buy anything expensive like good/old  guitars unfortunately! 

Been eyeing up the Honeyburst Harley Benton Les Paul copies for some time, sexy guitars!

Whatever I can afford, usually an ebay Fender nickel set or similar acoustic ones.

Consider myself a noob going into intermediate so not done any yet.

As above, don't fancy gigging, just making some music for things like youtube that people might like. Probably drink heavily though!

As above

N/A

Only that it's a good hobby at the least so "perseverance my son!"
    Raimundo classical guitar. Got it after 3 years music lessons. I was 10-11 yo I think. Present from my parents. Played very light.

My MM Masterhand archtop.

MM Masterhand archtop from Sweden. Previous owner said it soinds close to a Guild. I don't know. It is from the fifties or sixties. Doesn't play that well. Crappy refret and flimsy tuners. With flatwounds ot has a very nice harp like vowl to it.

Most likely some effects pedal just for the sake of buying, trying, selling, try something else again.

Usually from webstrings.com Bit now I have a set of DR Zebras I'd like to try.

Not to much. Just try to show we are having fun.

Say a small prayer. But haven't done stages for ages. Just really small things. Most emotional one was a few years ago when I played an acoustic instrumental interpretation of Jeff Buckleys version of Hallelujah during the memorial service of my grandmother.

Give thanks that all went well.

In church during a service around Christmas, they shut down electricity so that the candles were visible. To bad I was playing through my electrified Fender Bassman 70. Afterwards I was asked why I played so softly.

Enjoy, explore. Listen to your own ears.
    (Fender) Squire Showmaster. An odd reverse-headstock, entry-level Fender, circa 2006

My 2004 Fender 51 Reissue tele-style bass (sorry trusty Mexican Fender Jazz 2011!)

It'd be the 2004 Fender 51 Reissue tele-bass. What a beauty!

MarkBass Traveller series cab(s)! Desperately need to free up some space in the car / apartment!

Bass: Newtone Light/Medium gauge (look them up, they're amazing) Guitar: Ernie Ball or D'addario 10's 

Stop playing so many notes and remember the art of subtlety. Not everyone wants to hear your inane noodling.

Trying to remember why I accepted a dep gig an hour from home, with three days notice to learn over an hour of original material, alongside working full time and running my own business. Also, trying to remember the chords to the fifth song...

Remembering that nothing can beat the joy of playing on-stage with some great musicians! Also, drinking.

Forgetting (and consequently ruining) the super-climatic finish to a super-short showcase gig for a brand new band, in front of some of the country's biggest live agents... that was pretty awful!

Don't compare yourself to others. People might be "better" than you now, but practice your scales, enjoy your playing, then one day, without realising, you'll have overtaken them.

Oh, and check out our website :) http://playitpresents.com 
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    First guitar was a shitty encore Stratocaster that never kept tune.

If my house was burning down I'd die deciding which to save... probably go with my CIJ jazzmaster...I can't comment on the Doheny V12 yet, it's early days...

My oldest guitar is a 97 cij jazzmaster

I've just acquired a Doheny V12, after then probably a cool dumble style stomp box

I use 10's not fussy about brand

Recordings wise I wouldn't change a thing, looking at diy sound panels for the studio though

Shots

Not really played guitar onstage but I saved a turntable when my wasted friend smashed into them when I was mixing at a house party...styled that one out!

Younger rich "learn the drums and bass and make your own tunes, produce produce produce"
  • DevcDevc Frets: 3
    Second hand pink Hohner strat copy, for passing my 'O levels' in 1987. Awful intonation and constantly going out of tune, but managed a few gigs with it (not sure how!)

My 1989 Gun metal blue Fender US telecaster.

A Gibson ES369, bought with the proceeds of a Boot-sale success with a Zenith archtop guitar which I then part exchanged for the Gibson. Think it's a 1981 guitar.

Rickenbacker 620

Rotosound orange or Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottoms on my electrics. Always Martins on my acoustics.

2 very slightly out of time chords!!!!

Tuning up!

Loving life!

Hitting the tuner pedal instead of the overdrive. Instant guitar cut-out.

Put more effort into getting the music heard by more people. Don't get a normal job!
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 776
    2017 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony - eBay.

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2019 - on value alone.

2015 Taylor 114CE.

Probably a telecaster - but I have to become better at playing before I buy anything else.

Elixir Nano - but only because the guitarists in a music shop I worked in a long time ago used them.

I haven't recorded anything on guitar, but used to play drums fairly seriously. Plenty of that band's recordings could do with a bit of work!

I haven't gigged in probably 12 years - and that was on drums. I'd be checking all my sticks were where I needed them and making sure I could find my earplugs. 

Sweating profusely.

Playing Timpani in an orchestra, miscounting and getting my very loud entry in completely the wrong place... Still cringe about this.

I still consider myself young - but when I flirted with playing 15 years ago, I'd say - have lessons and practice.
  • Never did this, so here goes...

A Satellite electric my uncle gave to me. I think it was a short scale or a smaller size, non full size electric. It was ugly and stupidly I mislaid it many years ago.

None. I don't own any high end gear so everything is replaceable. Maybe a Jazzmaster I got put together if it came to it, but I am not really attached to any gear I own, which is probably why I´m constantly selling stuff! I´d probably grab the Red Panda Particle pedal.

My baritone, which is only a few years old. A partscaster-

Maybe a nice acoustic down the line, but not looking for anything.

For electric, dáddarios or Ernie Ball, and Martin for acoustic usually. Again, not precious about strings.

Some I´d like to have not recorded in the first place!

(Not gigged for a while) Nothing, checking my phone maybe, or taking it easy.

Same.

Forgetting words to songs.

Listen to as much music as possible, as many genres as you can.
    A Strat style guitar I built 28 years ago from a Practical Electronics magazine plan

My, my, I'm not sure I could choose.... probably my classical as I'd loose the amps etc in the fire by the looks of it

See Q1 

The next guitar I build

slinky's

Learn to play better

no gigging for me!

N/A

N/A

keep practising and have fun with it
  • 6G66G6 Frets: 1
    A Japanese Fender strat, high school

That one

Ibanez Artist

Will be an amp, again..

Fender

One too pushed legato phrase

Wash my hands maybe?

Cheers

The usual, broken string on a floyd rose guitar!

Sort that truss rod!
  • les287les287 Frets: 13

audition semi acoustic (for xmas when I was 9)

Patrick eggle new wave

1981 westone thunder 2

another prs

d'adario 9's & 10's

to actually learn how to use a daw properly

7.What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?

trying to calm down

mopping up my sweat.

bolloxed up a piss easy solo in front of my mates (who also play)

don't try to be a flash fucker (1,000,000 notes a second), less is more, learn how to say more with just a few notes.

Axe guitar from Kerranng!! magazine 1988.

Surf green partscaster tele.

Early/Mid 90s Yamaha acoustic

Fender Road Worn telecaster or wah/envelope filter pedal

Ernie Ball 9s, 10s and Hybrid Slinky depending on the guitar.

Slow down

Don't do much live stuff now but if I were, I'd be enjoying the buzz.

Enjoying the buzz.

Dropped my new Charvel V. Learned the hard way about strap lock washers...

Learn CAGED as soon as possible. Aim for melody.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @GrislyFind Love the handle! :sunglasses: \m/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it? Nylon string acoustic from Argos.

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? My only guitar my 91-92 Mex Strat.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? Fender Stratocaster (Mex) 91-92.

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? Fender Princeton Reverb 65/68 RI or a Fender Champ.

5: What strings do you use? Fender 10-52.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? Only really recorded myself on my iphone to see how bad I sound...but it's improving.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? Never performed.

8: ...And five minutes after? Same as above.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? Same as above.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Stop making excuses. Stop blaming others. Practice more and be kind to yourself about it.