Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

“Masterbuilt” or “guitar by stencil”...

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Its ironic that the majority of 'aged' pre CBS Strats are Custom Shop replicas. In fact, its been a long time since I've seen any pre CBS Strats for sale that show even remotely road worn finishes - a few dings and scratches but nothing that looks like someone has scraped the paint off it.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    I wonder how many stencil patterns they have, if they have one, they must have more.

Now, THAT's a challenge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Not surprising since they are churning out guitars, probably even more automated than a templates, probably a CNC router/engraving program

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I get why there's a market for old-looking guitars, but I remain baffled that there is any market at all for guitars made to look like the previous owners treated them like shit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I wonder how many stencil patterns they have, if they have one, they must have more.

Now, THAT's a challenge.
    I reckon they have a box of smaller templates that they stick in random areas...

look at the bit circled in red!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wow yes, the red areas are the same.  Paint machined off or masked and not painted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can't figure out how to cut it out that accurately even with a stencil, unless it is done with a CNC machine with a laser or something.
    I can't figure out how to cut it out that accurately even with a stencil, unless it is done with a CNC machine with a laser or something.
    I would guess they have a big box of pre cut masks that they stick on the guitars before painting... the steps would be as follows:

1) stick masks to guitar
    2) paint guitar
    3) peel masks off
    4) piss yourself laughing in way to bank

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    I would guess they have a big box of pre cut masks that they stick on the guitars before painting... the steps would be as follows:

1) stick masks to guitar
    2) paint guitar
    3) peel masks off
    4) piss yourself laughing in way to bank

That make sense, hence the complete lack of paint, totally bare, as opposed to worn paint.
  • Would also make it a relatively quick process - less labour intensive/cheaper than bashing, sanding and scraping.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    More!

must stop this and get on with some work :)

they wear around the jack socket is a common common theme as well!!!!

Would also make it a relatively quick process - less labour intensive/cheaper than bashing, sanding and scraping.

Which would be absolutely acceptable on a cheaper “road worn” series no?

not on a guitar costing as much as these do!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • the irony of getting caught out for faking something fake is brilliant
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    At the very least they could maybe not ship two to the same dealer that are from the same template... they'll just look like MIM Roadworns on the pegs in the shop. If anyone has ever been in a shop that had multiples of those in at any time it was eerie just how identical the wear was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Would also make it a relatively quick process - less labour intensive/cheaper than bashing, sanding and scraping.

Time on the workbench is usually given as a valid reason for the cost of a relic, but maybe they're even faster to make than a NOS guitar. You simplify the 'aging' process by using masks and templates; rusty hardware and discoloured plastics are pulled from a parts bin just like the NOS stuff; and you don't have to worry about achieving a perfect finish on the body or the neck in paint/lacquering.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's it....NOS for me!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I bet I can't find one now - But if you look at the travel sheet spec sheet, I have noticed on a few Masterbuilt models, something along the lines of  'age without using a template' - that alone shows that both with and without are utilised

Sods law I can't find such a spec sheet now to send a pic 
    thanks for that - That is exactly was I was highlighting in my earlier posting
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:

Would also make it a relatively quick process - less labour intensive/cheaper than bashing, sanding and scraping.

Which would be absolutely acceptable on a cheaper “road worn” series no?

not on a guitar costing as much as these do!

Exactly.  I'm sure post painting and removal of the masks there's some hand finishing and roughing up but not enough to warrant that price.  £6.8K for that heavy relic blue strat;  you're paying a hell of a premium for the Masterbuilt name.
  • I could understand it if the guitar was an exact replica of a famous instrument but to have them all the same on a generic pattern is pretty poor. It's almost one up from stick on transfers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom