Amp in a box.

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1809
    edited September 2019
    Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:
    I may be selling a Quilter Tone Block 201 quite soon if you're interested, and they're certainly not flimsy.
    Maybe but I’m expecting it’ll be out of my price range ?
    What is your price range?
    £100-£130 really. Don’t want to spend too much on it as I may / hopefully never need it 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I keep an old peavey studio pro amp just in case. Very loud for it's size.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:
    I may be selling a Quilter Tone Block 201 quite soon if you're interested, and they're certainly not flimsy.
    £100-£130 really. Don’t want to spend too much on it as I may / hopefully never need it 
    You're best looking for a used Crate Powerblock on eBay then. They go for around that.
  • Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:
    You're best looking for a used Crate Powerblock on eBay then. They go for around that.
    Didn’t they sell them off for about £60 at some point? Plus ICBM will be along on a moment to tell you they are the most unreliable amp ever made. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jimbro66 said:
    How about the Orange Micro Terror? Quite small and twenty watts output.  If it's just regarded as an emergency amp it could be OK. You'd get s used one for less than £100.
    I think this could be a good option. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Dopesick said:

Didn’t they sell them off for about £60 at some point? Plus ICBM will be along on a moment to tell you they are the most unreliable amp ever made. 
    Not the most unreliable, but usually unrepairable if they do fail and sound horrible even when they work.

Not sure if they're worse than a Micro Terror or not... it's close. The Crate is at least more powerful and has better EQ.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    ecc83 said:
      Yes, 8 Ohms or 100V line. I know the latter is redundant to you but CPC stuff is usually pretty good and a genuane 60 watts (which I am sure this will deliver) is pretty loud out of a guitar speaker.

Dave.
    Thanks Dave. Feels more than I’d ever need though for my use. But I know diddly squit about this stuff. :(
    Yes well you see you seem to just want "an amp" to boost up a pedal. These industrial PA amps are just that, basic, rugged power amps and CPC/Farnell have been around too long to sell rubbish. Ok, so some of it you don't need but it don't EAT  niffin!

In budget.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited September 2019
    BluGuitar? Literally an amp in a (small) box/pedal

Edit: Ah, NM, outside budget, sorry

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    What about one of those little Vox MV-50 things? I think they're about £150.
  • tekbow said:
    BluGuitar? Literally an amp in a (small) box/pedal

Ah, NM, outside budget, sorry

All great suggestions but this is only going to be in an absolute emergency I.e. if my amp blues up mid gig. One day I can see myself going down these lighter non valve amp amps in the future though ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Jimbro66 said:
    How about the Orange Micro Terror? Quite small and twenty watts output.  If it's just regarded as an emergency amp it could be OK. You'd get s used one for less than £100.
    Hopefully for you and your audience, you'll never ever have to use it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Hopefully for you and your audience, you'll never ever have to use it.
    That bad huh?
  • DV Mark Micro 50.

I use it as a back up and rehearsal amp. Loud, light and small enough to live in the back of my 2x12 cab. Sounds great with the revival drive compact going into it.

Second hand should be within your budget 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Is the magnum 44 any good? I remember it being quite dark. 
  • DV Mark Micro 50.

I use it as a back up and rehearsal amp. Loud, light and small enough to live in the back of my 2x12 cab. Sounds great with the revival drive compact going into it.

Yes I've seen them second hand but they're still been quite pricey :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    lukedlb said:
    Is the magnum 44 any good? I remember it being quite dark. 
    They also don’t seem amazingly reliable...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DV Mark Micro 50.

Actually that does sound perfect. Has a headphone and aux sockets for silent practice. Second hand market for me though 
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    How about a magnum 44 power amp in a pedal format?

I've have sitting around in my gig bag as a back up if my amp packs up half way through a gig but have never needed to use it.
    Plug your pedals into it and connect  the output to your cab sorted.
    I have one for sale on here if you're interested
    Cheers 
  • Just looking up info about some of the micro amps out there and the DV micro that was mentioned does seem to ticking a few boxes for me. They do another called the DV GH250 which is more than enough power but if I was to go into a PA with one I’ll need a cab sim of some kind wouldn’t I?
  • Following on from this thread I've been researching the DV Micro heads etc. I could go for the DV Micro head 50 but I've been offered a bigger version also but I do need it to connect to a mixer/PA too should the need arise (I hope not ever). Can this be done with this unit:-

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-little-gh-250-greg-howe-signature/

Is it to do with the PRE amp out etc. Obviously I'd need a cab sim of some kind if I was going to do that etc. Hope you can advise as this is an area I know very little about