Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sheeran Guitars - by Lowden NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TimmyO said:
    fandango said:
    TimmyO said:
    blueskunk said:
    Lots of hype but will they be a nicer guitar than the taylor mini?
    How could they not be - never understood their popularity
    Ah! But horses for courses. Am looking for a ‘portable’ acoustic to take with me on business trips. The GS-Mini is top of my list because of its size. Buying guitars at a given price point is about making compromises.

All guitars are portable. Anywhere a Taylor Mini will go, a better guitar will go 
    TimmyO said:

All guitars are portable. 
    But some are more portable than others. And some just need to fulfil a function. If you are suggesting a full size acoustic, maybe I should have made myself clearer.

But back to the Lowden, and the possibility that one of these could tick my boxes is increasing as I look at the alternatives.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When I enquired at my nearest GG, I was told that advance orders for these Sheeran Lowdens had outstripped supply. This has affected the numbers they're being sent such that if they ordered 50 for across their stores, theyd likely only get 10 or so. GG implied that they’ll fly out the door bypassing the showroom, and went on to say that the only way to get hands on one is to secure one with a refundable deposit, as any initial demo stock will be extremely limited. You might get lucky, but if you’re looking to try a few before buying, i doubt you’ll be able to do that in one sitting for a good few months.
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    I don't mind the laminate back and sides at all. Not at all surprised by the demand. I'm keenly waiting for some actual reviews.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    Any news on these?
    Bumping this thread to say I popped in to my nearest GG a week or so ago, and they haven't had any deliveries yet, and indicated prob late June/July but didn't know why.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    If the guitar is priced as suggested by the article (£600), they'll have no shortage of takers but I just can't see how Lowden can make an instrument at that price. 

If it's around that price, I'll pick one up myself though.  
    what does anyone know about how they can make these at that price in the UK?
    is it all CNC machines?
    Has anyone played one?

I'm finding it hard to believe that it's possible to match Chinese quality at this price point
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited June 2019
    Is this a ‘assembled in UK’ rather than actually made from scratch 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 841
    All the blurb I  the lead up mentioned a factory in NI.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @ToneControl @Fifty9 As @CountryDave says they are building a seperate factory here in Co. Down for production of this new line. George has hired two aerospace engineers to develop the use of CNC and factory production that can illedgidly match his quality goal vs keeping the cost down. So they will be made from scratch not just assembled here. 
    It's a pretty big undertaking so I'm not surprised there's been a few delays to them hitting the shops.
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    Interesting to know. I assume then its straightforward to build out larger size guitars there too.
    tFB Trader
    @Fifty9 I'd guess their goal is to expand the range to other body sizes in time .. smart move as not everyone can drop £3k+ for a Lowden .. at least this gives a little kudos to buying a UK made guitar at Far East money
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Another update on the Sheeran by Lowden guitars:

Dropped in in to my GG this week, and asked what's up. They said that these are due in by the end of the month (from 23rd September 2019 onwards).

They went on to confirm that demand has been intense, hence the delay.

Would be good to read a proper review (not a sales pitch) of the guitar so I can gauge what to expect before I go try it myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:

Dropped in in to my GG this week, and asked what's up. They said that these are due in by the end of the month (from 23rd September 2019 onwards).

Would be good to read a proper review (not a sales pitch) of the guitar so I can gauge what to expect before I go try it myself.
    Has there been any production-line ones on sale?

fandango said:

Doubt it. All the online stores are still "pre-order" or similar such status, with Andertons stating next delivery due on 11th November.
  • If the guitar is priced as suggested by the article (£600), they'll have no shortage of takers but I just can't see how Lowden can make an instrument at that price. 

If it's around that price, I'll pick one up myself though.  
    what does anyone know about how they can make these at that price in the UK?
    is it all CNC machines?
    Has anyone played one?

I'm finding it hard to believe that it's possible to match Chinese quality at this price point
    I agree, I can't see how it is possible.
  • fandango said:
    fandango said:

Doubt it. All the online stores are still "pre-order" or similar such status, with Andertons stating next delivery due on 11th November.
    so were all the review models hand-made prototypes?
    fandango said:
    fandango said:

so were all the review models hand-made prototypes?
    I think we must assume they made a small batch for NAMM and the press to do the grubby mitt thing. Good luck trying to find one of those on sale.

I get the impression that the production is limited in some way, hence the lack of units for sale.

Maybe someone in music retail might shine a light on the situation....... 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    @DougCoda ... any news you can share ? 
    tFB Trader
    All a bit of an embarrassing situation for Lowden/Sheeran tbh .. 
  • https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/ed-sheeran-and-lowden-collaborate-on-acoustic-guitar-brand/

https://sheeranguitars.com/

"Lowden Guitars and Ed Sheeran have announced a collaboration on a new brand of acoustic guitars, simply called “Sheeran”."

Be very interested to try these out.  I love the Lowden range, especially the Wee Lowden, but the price is a little steep for some of us.

Regardless of differing thoughts on his music, this has to be a good thing for the market, as long as the quality is maintained