Recommend a trustworthy acoustic guitar channel on YT?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
I aim to spend a fair bit on a decent acoustic before Christmas, and I've started looking at recordings and reviews on YT. But I'm out of the loop on acoustics and which channels have authoritative and unbiased reviews.

Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Ben of this forum's channel is pretty good. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPCNJfK4SnH57PsUV4kJtLg

How much are you willing to spend and what kind of acoustic are you after?  Ie for shape/woods/sound/character etc? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    If "a fair bit" is a couple of grand (or close to it) or more then nobodies demos are really going to be a great insight into "the one" imho 

The Acoustic Letter has a lot of short comparison demos that are at least consistently done so if you wanted to hear say a D28 next to an HD28 or a.J45 it'll tell you something worth knowing without ever giving you the omg moment that the right guitar will do in person.

My note of caution is that I had never listened to the guitar I ended up finding before - and any demos I do find of it would not have encouraged me to track one down - but in person it's the most wonderful thing ever.

What sort of things do you think you'd be considering? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    goldtop said:
    I aim to spend a fair bit on a decent acoustic before Christmas,
    Have you seen AndyJr1515's work?

OK, that'd come with all the drawbacks of buying something without a headstock name (yawn), but then if you get your spec right, and that'd never be an issue because you'd never sell it.

(Though you'd probably not get it before this Christmas)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Buy a Martin, if it's more expensive than you have cash put the cash down and finance the rest. Get a good Martin and your acoustic search is over and it will sound better with each year that passes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Thanks for the links/etc.

For more info: budget £1k (+/- a bit); £2k is too much. I don't mind buying used, though. Not addicted to brand names, so I'd consider a smaller maker - ISTR an Eastern European builder was getting amazing reviews a few years ago.

My #1 priority is home-studio recording (not performance). I currently have a Yamaha SLG-200S which I would keep only for contrast (e.g. piezo tones) when recording and for late-night playing.

I think I would want some form of pickup, but there seem to be a lot of add-on options, so I'd rather not be locked into a manufacturer's built-in system.

On woods, I don't really know, but the SP6 cedar-top that I've had for ages, is warm enough, but never able to get bright and zingy (to my ears). I've ordered custom guitars in the past, but not this time.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    At that price point Eastman and Furch would be worth looking at.
    goldtop said:
    Thanks for the links/etc.

For more info: budget £1k (+/- a bit); £2k is too much. I don't mind buying used, though. Not addicted to brand names, so I'd consider a smaller maker - ISTR an Eastern European builder was getting amazing reviews a few years ago.

My #1 priority is home-studio recording (not performance). I currently have a Yamaha SLG-200S which I would keep only for contrast (e.g. piezo tones) when recording and for late-night playing.

I think I would want some form of pickup, but there seem to be a lot of add-on options, so I'd rather not be locked into a manufacturer's built-in system.

On woods, I don't really know, but the SP6 cedar-top that I've had for ages, is warm enough, but never able to get bright and zingy (to my ears). I've ordered custom guitars in the past, but not this time.
    In that price range, like Kilgore mentioned IMO Furch & Eastman would also be my recommendations. 

I think the Eastern European manufacturer you recall would be Furch, they are Czech.  

For a pickup, the K+K Pure Mini is very highly rated. 

It sounds like you are after a guitar with a spruce top.  Here is a video comparing two Eastman's, both with Adirondack Spruce tops, but one with Rosewood, the other with Mahogany
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR-tz3j6E50
    Interesting (albeit brief) comparison, and my preference was for the rosewood back/side version. I didn't look these models up yet, but presume they are solid (not laminated)?
    goldtop said:
    Interesting (albeit brief) comparison, and my preference was for the rosewood back/side version. I didn't look these models up yet, but presume they are solid (not laminated)?
    Yep.  Both all solid. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    The higher end Faiths are also very nice. Blood Moon and Legacy models.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    Chris_J said:
    The higher end Faiths are also very nice. Blood Moon and Legacy models.
    I’d second that. Very happy with my Venus; great tone, build quality and attention to detail. Played it against the similar price Taylor and it’s streets ahead in feel and sound. 
    Thanks - will look into the Faiths. A lot of these names are completely new to me. I need to make notes though, because the specs and prices seem to cover a huge range. The Eastmans seem pretty well liked.

Also saw Andertons touting Sire acoustics - all-solid wood versions at £699. Not a lot of reviews on that AFAICS.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Stonebridge (aka previously/concurrently as Furch) and Eastman would get my attention at that price.

I have tried a few times to like Faith bit for some reason never end up being taken by them. Decent distribution though so should be easy to try out. 

I was super impressed with the couple of Eastmans I tried, if I hadn't had a higher budget at the time I suspect I'd just have tried as many in the range as I could and been very happy with whichever I ended up with. 

There have been some lovely used guitars around the forum the last 6 months - may find something comes up here 
    Red ones are better. 
  • https://tonypolecastro.com/ is a good channel, plenty of advice and he does and has done plenty of reviews on acoustic guitars. 
  • https://tonypolecastro.com/ is a good channel, plenty of advice and he does and has done plenty of reviews on acoustic guitars. 
    https://tonypolecastro.com/ is a good channel, plenty of advice and he does and has done plenty of reviews on acoustic guitars. 
    Am I missing something? Looks like a tuition channel with a sign-up system. I didn't see any reviews. Will search for him on YT...

Meanwhile, I'm in Germany and trying to see if I can get some hands-on experience at a guitar shop. Oddly, Sigma guitars (AFAICS, with Martin history but now independent and German-run, Chinese-made) seem to be more expensive than they are in the UK. Maybe I'm being confuddled by the exchange rates...?
  • goldtop said:
    https://tonypolecastro.com/ is a good channel, plenty of advice and he does and has done plenty of reviews on acoustic guitars. 
    Am I missing something? Looks like a tuition channel with a sign-up system. I didn't see any reviews. Will search for him on YT...

Meanwhile, I'm in Germany and trying to see if I can get some hands-on experience at a guitar shop. Oddly, Sigma guitars (AFAICS, with Martin history but now independent and German-run, Chinese-made) seem to be more expensive than they are in the UK. Maybe I'm being confuddled by the exchange rates...?
    I think he means Acoustic Life :  

Music Emporium usually have good quality videos of generally higher end stuff.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    TimmyO said:
    Stonebridge (aka previously/concurrently as Furch) and Eastman would get my attention at that price.

I have tried a few times to like Faith bit for some reason never end up being taken by them. Decent distribution though so should be easy to try out. 

I was super impressed with the couple of Eastmans I tried, if I hadn't had a higher budget at the time I suspect I'd just have tried as many in the range as I could and been very happy with whichever I ended up with. 

There have been some lovely used guitars around the forum the last 6 months - may find something comes up here 
    They seem to have gone back to using the Furch name full time now.

I have a Stonebridge branded one.  They are very good guitars.  Would definitely recommend checking them out.

At this kind of price point, I would go and try a bunch rather than rely on Youtube reviews.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Acoustic guitars are very personal items. To some extent videos can help you eliminate what you don’t want. You’ve also got the problem that what you hear behind the guitar, and what listeners hear out front, are different. Be prepared to spend an enjoyable time playing lots of guitars, and take someone else with you when you get close to making a decision.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • +1 for Furch/Stonebridge, although with your budget I think you will be in the second hand market.  Also +1 for K&K Pure Mini.  They are £100 ish, but do the best job of making an acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic guitar.  I would suggest finding a guitar without a pickup, then get a K&K fitted.
    IMHO YT is the last place I would look in a search for acoustic guitars.  The sound and feel of the instrument are the most important aspects.  You can’t get feel from a YT vid and the sound that you hear in a YT vid has inevitably been processed....probably a lot.  There’s no substitute for just getting out there and trying guitars.