Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone else here stopped gigging?

What's Hot

Comments

• When I moved from Derby to Essex we kept the band going but only did a couple more gigs before calling it a day. I went through a phase of being pleasd that I hadn't got to drag myself to rehearsals after work any more, and I definitely didn't miss all the waiting around between load in, soundcheck and gig, or the late nights before work the next morning.

It's been a few years now, and I've done a couple of jam nights and lots of playing at home. I'm getting the itch again now, and I'm hoping that later this year or early next year we'll be doing a few gigs... not as many as we used to though!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Thanks so much for all these interesting and constructive replies.....got more time to read them all properly later, but in the meantime keep them coming if you can, I'm genuinely grateful!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't gigged regularly in 20 years. I spent most of my teens and early to mid 20s in bands, playing guitar and tenor sax. But then I largely stopped playing, apart from a bit of classical, for some years.

I have done _some_ gigs. I was in the pit band for a theatre production (10 or so performances), and have done the odd jam, and similar things. But largely, these days, I just play at home.

I would like to get back into playing in public regularly but I'd need to find a band or a thing that was able to fit with childcare, and job (both of which are very demanding on my time), and which played the kind of music I like. I have zero interest in playing in a cover band, or playing blues. So, it's tricky.
  • I've been gigging as a hobby since 1986, pub rock, country (and western), 80's pop and more recently 50's & 60's Rock & Roll classics mate, not arf.  Probably averaging 2/3 gigs a month, all covers, all been fun. 

Never even thought about trying to make it big because there are many who are way better and prettier than me out there struggling to pay the rent.

Recently ended a 6 month enforced drought (drummer needed heart surgery after having a heart attack mid gig, hoping to get back to that band soon) by depping with an old mate who I was in a band with 25 years ago.

He's still schlepping some of the same old rock covers he was back then, but I hadn't played most of the set before and the 6 or 7 I had were with him all that time ago.  I got a call at 6.30pm and by 9 I had youtubed the main bits and was setting up 45 miles away.

Had a great gig, realized I missed it more than I thought.  Got offered the gig permanently, said yes and now we are 5 gigs in.

I figure the band is effectively a very expensive juke box that doesn't have all the songs you want, but keep the majority of the set to songs people are likely to know and enjoy and you are half way there.

The other thing that keeps me sane is the I figure the money we get paid is for all the crap like practicing, loading in and out and getting home at 1.30am only to have to start unloading all your gear.  The gig itself, I'd do for fun.  I just enjoy making a noise with a bunch of mates.

Plus (disregarding the gear) it's generally cheaper than golf.

• i love gigging, dont intend to stop anytime soon. If i didnt gig, or at least go to jam nights i think i would lose the incentive to practise
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited September 2019
    Since I started spawning kids around 5 years ago I took the decision that to go and do a gig it would have to be a) enjoyable and b) paying decent money to be worth missing out on time with the kids and abandoning my wife to deal with the fray on her own.

So yeah, not gigging much these days as those two criteria seem to be mutually exclusive for the most part (with the exception of some blues festivals I play every year).

Ironically, my chops have never been better, I guess because I satisfy myself musically with learning and practice more than I used to.
  • Give up gigging ? :s ,i did my 1st gig in 59',i'm now 74,i've never stopped gigging,except when i damaged my thumb in ski-ing accident & had to stop for about a year,I still gig as often as possible maybe 3 to 4 times a month,i can't imagine stopping gigging,except for extreme illness or death..

More importantly to Misty,i wish you a full & speedy recovery,our bass players battling through prostate cancer,but luckily(for him)he's well enough to continue with our gigs & after recent tests I may be joining him,but we have to try & keep on the alternative is unthinkable. =)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Health forced me out 4/5 years back and its been a case of diminishing returns ever since. The passion is still there but not the need. I'm still hoping to resolve my health issues (narcolepsy and lung function issues) and perhaps I'll feel different if I get them under control but I'm rather enjoying gardening, walking the dogs and generally being round the house more so even if I do play out again it'll have to fight for space in my life. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Another thing I didn't like about gigging was having to deal with people's egos and twatishness. I often found those hard to separate from their musical abilities.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Never enjoyed gigging, would happily never do one again but I do because the other band members like it.

I think it might be difference if we were actually a well known band and people specifically wanted to see us and knew our songs etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I  played and gigged with various bands on average once or twice a month for about 40 years. 
    Had varying degrees of success on the pub/club circuit throughout the UK
     Sold a few CD's, T Shirts etc but never made any money worth talking about.
    Had Great Gigs. Had Shit Gigs. Had great fights and arguments and had great laughs.

Took ill suddenly 2 years ago and spent some time in Hospital and have not gigged since.
    Set up a Home Studio in a spare room at home and having fun creating havoc in there for the time being. I might play the odd gig in the future, but doubt i will have the energy or inclination to give it 100% again....
  • @Lewy yeah, my chops are probably the best they've ever been, ironically.

But I know far fewer tunes -- and I'm very envious of friends who are encyclopaedias of music -- so I'm probably less "gig ready" in many ways, despite having better technique, and more musical knowledge.

I also have much worse stage fright than I did 20 years ago, even though I talk, in public, to large audiences, all the time for work, and find that completely fine and have no nerves. But the minute I have a guitar in my hands ...
  • I started gigging in the 80's and I'm still doing it, and loving it, now.  I've done originals and covers, I've played bass, guitar, keyboards and the odd (very odd) spot as lead singer.  There were times when I gigged every week (the max was 4 times in a week) and gaps of a year or more here and there.  These days I'm the guitarist in a 4 piece covers band who average about a gig a month.  I've been with them for just over a year.

Of course it's a pain lugging all the gear around, the money is shit, the 'stages' are too small and often there's no chance for a proper sound check, however;

I'm not doing it for the money
    I enjoy the company of the other guys in the band
    We seem to have found the right balance of material that both we and the audience enjoy
    We continue to get better with every gig, and we go down well.
    The equipment has never been so good, or as light, as it is today
    Thanks to in ear monitoring my ears aren't ringing after gig / rehearsal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven’t gigged in over 25 years and have no desire to. I went to see a friend’s band play a little while ago and remembered why I stopped; toilet venue, full of pissed, disinterested punters and a load out which took until well past midnight.

Not for me, thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just come out of a band who have stopped and I think the rest of the guys are taking a break or moving onto other projects. I'm still good friends with everyone but for me personally I think I'm done with it for a bit. I've been in rock bands for the best part of 15 years and this is the first time in a long time I haven't played or won't be playing regular shows for a prolonged period.

I will miss the whole live environment, hanging out with bands (usually we know other bands on the bill very well) and journeys to and from the venue. 

Also the buzz of performing, that's not going to go away so I could just form/join another band. But it takes time and effort to get it off the ground unless I was to join an already established band who had some momentum going (songs written/gigs booked etc)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I was part of/ran an 8 piece soul band for 16 years. People came and went, but in the end the enthusiasm to get new members up to speed and set off again wasn't there. I gave up gigging.
    Within about a year the offers coming in got more and more appealing and I joined another band, then two etc. I also went to open mic/jam nights for the buzz.
    If it's in you, you will play, even if it lays dormant for a while. Meanwhile enjoy other things. I now ensure I have some weekends clear just to spent time with herself and do us things.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Playing at home isn’t enough for me. For the last 20 years I’ve got my kicks playing with covers bands. If the current band folded then I’d find another one. How long will it continue? Until I can’t do it any more - either my wife’s health or my own. I’m 65. I limit wear and tear by cutting back on other playing. So I’ve stopped playing acoustic at home. I’ve stopped going to folk clubs and open mic nights. I’ve even cut back on practice, doing the minimum amount to keep my touch. If I had to stop gigging then I’d probably go back to acoustic, and start playing folk clubs.

Others have talked about finding gigs. It’s getting harder. Fewer venues, less money because venues can’t afford it. Punters who want karaoke backing, or expect us to be a juke box.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    I’m 65. 
    Having met you at the Huddersfield jam earlier in the year, I have to say you’re looking very good on it! 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    At 52 I still gig with 2 bands ( one covers and one originals ) We are all mates and have a good time most gigs as all the wifes go and its great fun. We have a few unwritten rules that works for us.

We don't do functions - pubs only
    Pubs that don't have a good set up or crowd we don't play again 
    Try to keep to 2 gigs per month with a break of at least 3 weeks a few times per year - stops us burning out and getting bored. 

Already fully booked for next year in our regular venues and we average 25-27 gigs per year. Our drummer is 67 and shows no sign of slowing down - hope that's me

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Thanks so much for honest and realistic replies, I really enjoyed reading these......lots of thoughts  to consider, but basically there are good reasons for stopping gigging and just enjoying playing, but also to continue gigging if that's what I need to do.....common sense! Good to see the ages of some of the guys still doing it.....if I'm able to start gigging again that'll include me, so that's encouraging. At present I have too much treatment and side effects going on to encourage me to play other than at home, but it could still happen....thanks again!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom