Composition Challenge #27 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    Thanks for the explanation. I'd interpreted it as meaning we were limited to only (real) guitar-based/-sourced sounds but that any of the "usual" production tricks would be allowed. Appreciate you taking the time to clarify it for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oaf said:
    I've created some sampled "drums" by banging, knocking, clunking and pinging my guitars... (and then compressing, EQing, repitching and mangling the sounds produced). Based on the first post I thought that this was allowed, but I'm not so sure now :)

I was then going to write some MIDI to trigger my "guitar drum" samples. Yay or nay?

This one is proving more tricky than I thought. 

I think using real time guitar effects is OK but mangling of files (post recording) and triggering things with midi is pushing it a bit. For example, I'm pretty sure I could create a fairly convincing drum sound by sampling guitar sounds and using a sampler such as NI Kontakt, but I would choose not to do that.

However, having said that, it's difficult to know where to draw the line.

I think everyone should be open and honest about how they've created their tracks. Then (when it comes to the voting) individual voters can decide how they vote. My voting will take account of how close people have stayed to the original brief - but that will just be my opinion. Other voters may have different opinions. 

In summary, I guess you can do what you like (provided you're honest about how you've created the track), but you run the risk of losing votes if individual voters deem you've pushed the rules too far.

What if the guitar has a built-in drum machine? ;) I have a hi-tech Casio DG10.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• What if the guitar has a built-in drum machine? ;) I have a hi-tech Casio DG10.

Aaaaargh :) I give up.

Anyway I think that could be classed as a guitar synth, which is excluded.

But, in the end, it's just good to get entries. So everyone can do what they like and let the voters decide whether it's cheating or not.

It's not a competition.

• What if the guitar has a built-in drum machine? ;) I have a hi-tech Casio DG10.

But, in the end, it's just good to get entries. So everyone can do what they like and let the voters decide whether it's cheating or not.

tongue firmly in cheek ;) Anyway, it's really too shit to record anything worthwhile on it!  =)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098

tongue firmly in cheek ;) Anyway, it's really too shit to record anything worthwhile on it!  =)
    No backing out now!!!!

you've promised us!!!!
  • poopot said:

No backing out now!!!!

you've promised us!!!!
    bugger.
  • I'm going to give this a go. The Walrus Audio Slo has given me a lot of inspiration. Expect a lot of reverb.
  • I'm thinking it might just be easiest to strum G D Em C repeatedly on an acoustic and leave it at that.... 
  • I'm thinking it might just be easiest to strum G D Em C repeatedly on an acoustic and leave it at that.... 

That would be 'Perfect'  :)

It's not a competition.
    Works for some chart topping acts to be fair
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

Well it worked for Pink in the video I just posted. Damn jokes aren't as funny when you have to explain them :)

It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited September 2019
    I'm thinking it might just be easiest to strum G D Em C repeatedly on an acoustic and leave it at that.... 

Well it worked for Pink in the video I just posted. Damn jokes aren't as funny when you have to explain them

My headphone socket doesn't work on my phone so I did guess that's what the jist of the video was but wasnt able to confirm (not particularly willing if it's pink... )
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Yes. That was the joke. I thought it was obvious.... 

• In case you've never seen it 

(I know it's in E rather than G for all you pedants out there) 
    Struggling with this... I have something but it’s not great tbh
  • poopot said:

That's more than I've got, which is nothing at the moment. But I'll soon be moving into the concept development phase - i.e. just trying loads of random stuff (a monkeys and typewriters approach) :)

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:

That's more than I've got, which is nothing at the moment. But I'll soon be moving into the concept development phase - i.e. just trying loads of random stuff (a monkeys and typewriters approach) :)

I’ll ping what I have over... could serve as a what not to do lesson
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I thought this would be easy ... but it appears this is a guitar forum made up of guitarists who can't seem to write a track with just a guitar ... :-) :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2019
    Fretwired said:
    I thought this would be easy ... but it appears this is a guitar forum made up of guitarists who can't seem to write a track with just a guitar ... :-) :-)

That includes me. I've just had my E-bow out, so things must be getting desperate.

It's not a competition.
    sent

not sure what but its sent