Cover Challenge #8 - chat thread

What's Hot
Welcome to the 8th fretboard cover challenge. The rules are simple - there are no rules*. 

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The track to be covered has been chosen by the winner of the last challenge @IMC1980 ;is....

Drum roll...

Crazy

Yes. That's right. This challenge has a twist. Again. You can cover any song with the title "Crazy". Off the top of my head (without I can think of four - Seal, Aerosmith, Patsy Cline and Gnarls Barkley. If you know of another version then feel free to share it with the rest of us. Now get those creative juices flowing and see what you can come up with. 

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Thursday 31st October

(I don't know if the song choice was intentional but the UK may well be crazy around that date! #satire)

Only one entry per participant. 

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately one week to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to PM your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Bagsy Beyoncé!!!!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited September 2019
    I thought "ooooh the Britney classic" but apparently that is prefixed by the bracketed (You Drive Me) which is a shame.

Quite like a bit of Patsy Cline/Willie Nelson and Gnarls Barclay so I'm looking forward to hearing these. Won't be able to take part I don't think but always enjoy listening
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I was thinking it was about time for a K-Ci and JoJo revival ...
    Right... have to ask... songs called “crazy” or songs with crazy in the tittle?
  • poopot said:
    RTF Rules... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    RTF Rules... 

I feel your pain. I might start using that reply on the composition challenge thread :)

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2019
    So it’s any song with a title but no drums!...

May be getting my threads mixed up...
  • poopot said:
    RTF Rules... 

I feel your pain. I might start using that reply on the composition challenge thread :)

Perhaps you just need to simplify the composition challenge to "write a song in the key of A" or "write a song about cats" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2019
    Ok... I’ll stick to the rules... no Beyoncé... but... I’m gonna ruin that track for you now... once you hear this you will never unhear it...

when Beyonce sings “oh oh oh oh oh” etc... think of the cantina band from Star Wars
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    poopot said:
    Ok... I’ll stick to the rules... no Beyoncé... but... I’m gonna ruin that track for you now... once you hear this you will never unhear it...

when Beyonce sings “oh oh oh oh oh” etc... think of the cantina band from Star Wars
    As long as Uncle stays out of the denim hot pants, I'll call it a win....
    IMC1980 said:
    poopot said:

As long as Uncle stays out of the denim hot pants, I'll call it a win....
    Have to be more charming than that if you want me out of my denims darlin!... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still having some issues playing so I thought, for a change, I'd start with the vocals on this one ... I know what I want to achieve so I didn't think it would be too much of a problem.

After recording the 19 layers in the chorus ... I may reconsider my current plan of attack ha ha

Decided I wanted a choir sound, but my plugins were way too operatic / symphonic for this.  What a fool I have been! :)
    edited October 2019
    Two weeks to go!  Will it be finished on time!
    Well I hope so, ha ha … only got the lead vocal and primary harmony lines to do now.  Maybe a few screams.  May take most of the remaining time to mix it though … this has possibly the most tracks I've ever laid down in a single song.

How's everyone else getting on?
    Bezzer said:
    Well I hope so, ha ha … only got the lead vocal and primary harmony lines to do now.  Maybe a few screams.  May take most of the remaining time to mix it though … this has possibly the most tracks I've ever laid down in a single song.

My music is done... has been for ages.. need someone to do vocs for me and everyone is bailing out at the moment... wrong key my arse...
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Rhythm guitars and vocals are done, need to work on the drums, bass and overlays.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    poopot said:
    Bezzer said:

My music is done... has been for ages.. need someone to do vocs for me and everyone is bailing out at the moment... wrong key my arse...
    I could give vox a go for your one. I'm not the main vocalist on mine.

Speaking of which I'd better pin the wife down to a key then record some backing. I've a template of drums, and keys just now and that's it! 
    poopot said:
    Bezzer said:

I could give vox a go for your one. I'm not the main vocalist on mine.

Speaking of which I'd better pin the wife down to a key then record some backing. I've a template of drums, and keys just now and that's it! 
    Sold!

mp3 or stems?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Mp3 would be grand @poopot ;

Mp3 would be grand @poopot ;

you is having mails!!!!
    Wait, we can farm out singing?!?!?!  Damn it!  Ha ha