Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

An album by your favourite band.

What's Hot

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    CHRISB50 said:
    Top choice. One of my favourites by a band who have never rested on their laurels, and just keep growing as musicians. Hard to pick a favourite album by them (hence I didn't) but this one's just brilliant. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Reuben - Racecar is Racecar Backwards - Good stuff, didn't really stand out to me, but good music to work to.

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction - Full of fuzzy doomy goodness. Excellent album.

Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer - Not heard this before, great album!

stimpsonslostson said:

If you want heavy & melodic, the new Killswitch Engage album is SUPERB. 
    No mate, the new Killswitch Engage album is Atonement. It's a pretty good album

Marillion - Marbles - I used to have a greek friend who was very into Marillion. One day me and another friend were walking down a road, when we see him leaning all the way out of a car and shouting at us - "HEY YOOUU GGUUUYYYSSS! I AM OFF TO SEE MAARRIIILEEOOOORRRNNN" in his thick greek accent. That was over a decade ago and the memory of the sight of him still makes me chuckle. Yeah, i like Marillion. 

Deep Purple - Burn - Love it. I think Deep Purple are almost dismissed sometimes as people just know "the hits" but they have so, so many good songs. The new album is really good too.

Gilgamesh - Yes. I listened to it before reading your write up of it so it didn't colour my opinions. There seems to be a constant build up of tension and instead of the big climax it just simmers again before another buildup. But when there is a climax, it's perfect. Great choice of album. 

Caspian - Waking Season - Well.. that was odd. Definitely not what i was expecting! 

And So I Watch You From Afar, Gangs - It's pretty good, don't think i was in the right mood for it today, but i think i'll give it another listen another day.

Poison the Well - Have heard before, never really been a fan. It's ok, not really for me.

Refused, Shape of Punk to Come - Liked this, reminds me of a band i can't quite remember but used to listen to a lot... 

Rival Consoles - Odyssey - Not really for me.

The Fratellis' Costello Music - Never listened to them, but all sounded quite familier. Quite enjoyable 

Extreme - Take us alive. Winner of the whole thread. Even though i've heard it before. Many times. Damn but Nuno is incredible. Very difficult trying to work with that video on in the background.. 

Tool - Fear inoculum... yup, that's a tool song. 

Many of you suck at choosing one album :grin: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    P.G. Lost - Yes i am - It was ok, some good bits but overall a bit meh.

Deafheaven, Sunbather - Lots going on here.. not sure if those are vocals or just background sounds.. More i'm listening more i'm enjoying. Good choice.

The Bronx, The Bronx (III) - Not particularly groundbreaking - but lots of fun. Enjoyed the album!

Deftones - Diamond Eyes - I've never really liked Deftones after a "driving home from the alps and my older brother insisted on having the pony album on repeat and i fucking hated it" incident. Started this album and already i'm getting flashbacks.. But i shall carry on. What a little trooper i am ...[some time later]...  Well.. I didn't hate it

Fantomas - The Directors Cut - wow.. that was an experience..

The Byrds - Notorious byrd brothers - always enjoyable. Not my normal listening, but a good album. Interesting bit at the end.

Annnd looks like that's the end of the current suggestions - thanks all, lots of great choices all around. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2940
    Hatfield is the Sun, Gilgamesh is the moon.

Glad you liked it, I'll leave you to dig up Gilgamesh 2, it's worth it. You can also hear a mixture of the two bands if you go down the 'National Health' rabbit hole - basically a coming together of the two, with a selection of bass players to choose from including Neil Murray from Whitesnake!). 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I'm a little bit reticent to post as I feel like I'm in this thread more than the OP. Like the OP I'm purposely listening to whole albums (something I try to do anyway) but also trying not to go over the same old ground as my habits have possibly settled into rotating the same 20-30 artists. So, probably best not to think of this as a recommendation but more of a contemporaneous effort to do the same as the OP (although I'm not going to post everything). However, today, I listened to Fanx Ta-Ra by Sad Cafe and was blown away by how epic this album sounds 40+ years after its release.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IIRC in the OP one of the categories was Blues so as my reggae suggestion was luke warm:

DJ Play My Blues - Buddy Guy

Certainly nothing original or groundbreaking but Buddy made some ill informed choices when it came to recording whereas this is just him having at it backed by a top notch band. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    edited September 2019

Anybody who thinks Quo is a 3 chord band needs to listen to this album. Strong melodys, but for 1976 it still rocks out 

You're ok @fob, I think @joetele has won the participation prize at the moment :)

Post away, it's really been quite eye opening and enjoyable listening to everyone's favourite albums. I've heard bits of lots of the bands but never really touched on the full albums, and a lot of the time it's been worth it.

I have a desk job where I actively try to avoid people, so I listen to lots of music. It's been great adding people to my normal rotation. 
  • As others aren't sticking to the rules, here's another suggestion following on from Extreme - Take Us Alive.

I haven't seen any Robben Ford posted yet. I especially liked his rockier playing and tone with The Blue Line, but everything he does is great.

Robben Ford And The Blue Line: Hard choice of which album but I think I'll go for Handful of Blues.

Also, when I was working, I found I could lose myself in Jing Chi.

It's not a competition.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    joetele said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Top choice. One of my favourites by a band who have never rested on their laurels, and just keep growing as musicians. Hard to pick a favourite album by them (hence I didn't) but this one's just brilliant. 

I struggled to pick a favourite but this was the first one I heard, so seemed the natural choice.

For me White Pony comes in pretty close but I'm glad I didn't post that one now,  causing @LuttiS further trauma, having read about his Alps experience :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264

This album is a cracker

• This is one of my all time favourite albums. Also a rare example of something that sounds better on YouTube than on CD -- not sure where they've got this source but it's definitely more hi-fi.

The Elevators were the first band to describe themselves as 'psychedelic' and they still sound like nothing else.
    National Health - Bit more "rocky" than giglamesh.. I can hear lots of Zappa-esq stuff there too. I fear i've entered a rabbit hole here... 

Fanx Ta-Ra by Sad Cafe - Loved that song Babylon you posted - went to find the album.. failed, found a "best of" on Prime. Sadly, not as good as Babylon suggested, but still a good listen.

DJ Play My Blues - Buddy Guy - Yes! Great stuff. Heard lots of Buddy Guy before, again, one of those that i've heard, but not listened to an album. Some familiar tracks here. Great choice.

Mars Red Sky - Mars Red Sky - Not sure what to make of this.. i enjoyed it, a lot, sort of atmospheric doomy, but not doomy. 

Status Quo - Always been a fan. They were the second gig i ever went to with my Dad (Gary Moore was the first ).

Robben Ford - Handful of Blues - Great album, not a regular listen for me but i always enjoy it. 

VAST - Not what i was expecting after the opening bit. Really great - Needs to be played loud! :)

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere - Album embodies all the bits i like about 60s music. Thanks for sharing this one!
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I was in more of a laid-back mood today (the nights are starting to draw in) and put on Kari Bremnes' Norwegian Mood - a favourite of the golden-eared hifi community. Hit the spot for me.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    edited September 2019
    LuttiS said:
    Mars Red Sky - Mars Red Sky - Not sure what to make of this.. i enjoyed it, a lot, sort of atmospheric doomy, but not doomy. 

It's happy doom!   Most of the stuff I listen to is stoner/doom/psychedelic rock, not a bundle of laughs, but Mars Red Sky always make me smile.  The songs are nice and tuneful and Julien Pras has a very non-doomy voice.

• I’m not really sure I’ve had favourite bands for a long time but I’ve being going back to Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear for over thirty years. Indeed, I had a reggae compilation on in the car today and the title track from MG was almost certainly my favourite track on it. Many of the musicians are from The Wailers so it’s reggae royalty ( Burning Spear are the singers rather than the whole band). 
    It appears in several greatest albums type lists and there is a dub remix of it called Garvey’s Ghost.
    Anyway, bit of contrast to the others posted so far if nothing else. 
    Couldn't agree more. I'll come and stand in Reggae Corner with you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    LuttiS said:

It's happy doom!   Most of the stuff I listen to is stoner/doom/psychedelic rock, not a bundle of laughs, but Mars Red Sky always make me smile.  The songs are nice and tuneful and Julien Pras has a very non-doomy voice.

Yes! Happy doom perfectly sums it up :)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Another one, and - like most of my recommendations so far - needs a bit of time to sink in over a few (five?) listens. These ones I'm recommending are my all time favourite albums by the way, ones that have simply stuck with me over the years. Oddly while Radiohead have been one of my favourite bands, I couldn't pick and album from them that stands out as much as these do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMPtBXohDqA - Hopesfall, The Satellite Years

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3898
    I'm a massive Damned fan (kudos to The Black album recommendation).

However, the best album I've heard in the last 10 years and my most played is by relatively little known Canterbury band Syd Arthur. 'Sound mirror'. It's modern prog and not like me, must be my age! Love it.