Practice amp for beginner

What's Hot
Hi
In the process of buying my daughter a bass - have found a nice looking Squier MB4 that will hopefully check out when I see it in person.
Wasn't sure what to do re a practice amp?  She has a Vox VX1 already as she plays electric guitar, can she just use that to start with or will I need to buy her a bass amp as well?
If so, what's worth looking at in the £50 region??
She won't be gigging or anything (not yet anyway) so its just for home and preferably not too loud, but loud enough that she could play along with others when needed.
Thanks

PS Any opinions on the Squier MB4 would be great too (especially anything to look out for)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Even though guitar amps are usable for bass unless you push the speaker too hard, that little Vox is so small that it probably won't be possible to get a usable sound without risking it.

A second hand Fender Rumble 15 should be about within your budget. A new one is £85 - anything much cheaper than that will sound pretty poor to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    ICBM said:
    Even though guitar amps are usable for bass unless you push the speaker too hard, that little Vox is so small that it probably won't be possible to get a usable sound without risking it.

A second hand Fender Rumble 15 should be about within your budget. A new one is £85 - anything much cheaper than that will sound pretty poor to be honest.

im a beginner and I would echo the sentiment above. don't buy a very cheep amp because the do sound crap and you will want something better in no time so the money spent on the very cheep amp is waisted. If you can find a better used amp that will be much better value in the long run
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2019
    Thanks chaps.  I'd be looking at buying used anyway - other than the Fender Rumble 15, what else should I be looking at for her?? Can flex the budget a little for the right thing.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited September 2019
    Vinylfan said:
    what's worth looking at in the £50 region??
    Frankly, not much. You will be looking at pre-owned items. It will be worth trawling car boot sales and charity shops for unloved/unrecognised bargains. 

Discontinued models and unfashionable brands are where deals are more likely to be found. Peavey, small Trace Eliot, Fender Rumble, Roland Bass CUBE. If you are feeling brave, Ashdown Engineering made a few low wattage models.

Another option is a headphone/recording pre-amp. 

EDIT: My comments about the Squier MB4 bass guitar have been moved to your separate thread on that topic.
    Be seeing you.
  • The Rumbles defy the laws of physics. I haven't tried the 15 TBH but nonetheless ( I think my son's is the 40, I can never remember and isn't a terrible clean guitar amp either) definitely worth looking at. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Vinylfan said:
    what's worth looking at in the £50 region??
    Frankly, not much. You will be looking at pre-owned items. It will be worth trawling car boot sales and charity shops for unloved/unrecognised bargains. 

Discontinued models and unfashionable brands are where deals are more likely to be found. Peavey, small Trace Eliot, Fender Rumble, Roland Bass CUBE. If you are feeling brave, Ashdown Engineering made a few low wattage models.

Another option is a headphone/recording pre-amp. 

Vinylfan said:
    Any opinions on the Squier MB4 would be great too (especially anything to look out for)
    The MB4 is, essentially, a Cort Action Bass with a different headstock outline. It has all of the advantages and disadvantages of having been made in Cort's Indonesian factory. Woodwork and frets will be good. Pickups, pots and jack socket will be a little bit cheap 'n' nasty.

The bridge, whilst inexpensive, adheres to the principles of the classic Fender bridge design. The thin steel baseplate suits some music styles and detracts from others. A higher mass replacement bridge would improve the on-strap balance. In theory, it should increase mechanical sustain. This, in turn, could expose the shortcomings of the Powersound pickups.

Overall, the MB4 is a bass that, with minor upgrades, could continue to serve even after your daughter graduates to a posher instrument.
    Thanks.  Will take a look at a few.

Appreciate the insight into the MB4 as well.  Good to know that its basically a good platform that could be upgraded if needed. Was going to get her something more expensive, but didn't want it to end up as a potentially expensive lump sitting in the corner!
    I did look a few Ibanez basses as well, but its a combination of price, aesthetics, location and time.  The MB4 is just over £100.
    A new option I looked at was one of the Ibanez SR Mezzo ones - smaller, lighter etc. but much more expensive.

In the end I decided that going the passive route was better as its one less thing to have to keep a stock of and she can always buy an active one later if she sticks with it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited September 2019
    Orange and Ampeg were the other options I was looking at as well as the Fender Rumble in the £100 range. Very pleased with my Ampeg BA-108. More chance of finding a Fender second hand in your budget though.
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    I’ve an Ampeg Ba-108 today. Great amps anc can be found cheaply. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    Add Laney to your list. I had a hardcore 30 that was real good. The newer RB series have headphone and aux so you can practice with backing tracks. Can be had used well under £100 and my experience with laney has been good with reliability too
  • bazxkr said:
    Add Laney to your list. I had a hardcore 30 that was real good. The newer RB series have headphone and aux so you can practice with backing tracks. Can be had used well under £100 and my experience with laney has been good with reliability too
    Thanks. Have seen a few on places like EBay - want to get something that is local enough to pick up. 
  • Roland CUBEs are ubiquitous in teaching spaces. They do a decent quiet bass sound and have some bells and whistles to distract her from practising.
    I'd almost forgotten about these too - great little amp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-MICRO-BASS-BASS-AMPLIFIER-20-Watts/303293721635?hash=item469db6ec23:g:WOAAAOSwTU1dh3Dr

There are a couple more - the later model with a metal grille - for collection only if you're anywhere near Leeds or Shefford.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Another vote for Roland Cubes. I've had my old one for at least a decade and it's still going strong.

They don't come up used very often because they are worth keeping even when the player moves onto bigger gear.
    Set up an ebay search so you get notifications, and maybe put a WANTED ad up on basschat too.

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2019
    ICBM said:
    I'd almost forgotten about these too - great little amp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-MICRO-BASS-BASS-AMPLIFIER-20-Watts/303293721635?hash=item469db6ec23:g:WOAAAOSwTU1dh3Dr

There are a couple more - the later model with a metal grille - for collection only if you're anywhere near Leeds or Shefford.
    Another vote for Roland Cubes. I've had my old one for at least a decade and it's still going strong.

They don't come up used very often because they are worth keeping even when the player moves onto bigger gear.
    Set up an ebay search so you get notifications, and maybe put a WANTED ad up on basschat too.

Thanks chaps. Will look out for those. Presume with the Roland cubes that there is a bass specific version?

Have also been looking at Fender Rumble 25. 

Cheers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited September 2019
    Correct. CUBE Bass or Bass-X. Ageing but eminently usable digital amp modelling technology plus several popular effects.

If buying pre-owned, check for rattles and loudspeaker fart. Sometimes, the internals come unglued.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I think you're near to me (Berkshire), I have a Trace Elliot Boxer 15 which I've not used in a while, for £40; you're welcome to try it out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Correct. CUBE Bass or Bass-X. Ageing but eminently usable digital amp modelling technology plus several popular effects.

If buying pre-owned, check for rattles and loudspeaker fart. Sometimes, the internals come unglued.
    Thanks.  They look quite good - there's an RX version I've come across which has various rhythm settings etc. which might be useful.

prowla said:
    I think you're near to me (Berkshire), I have a Trace Elliot Boxer 15 which I've not used in a while, for £40; you're welcome to try it out.
    Thanks.  Let me think about that.

At the moment, the Fender Rumble 25 and the Roland Cube Bass are the front runners - the Fender probably slightly ahead on looks alone. I know the way that it looks will have an impact on the overall reaction.
  • Update - done a deal on a Rumble 25 v3 - should collect it tomorrow so fingers crossed its all ok.  I had to go with my wife's assessment re what looked better!  Any pointers re checking it out??

Thanks
  • Just plug in and play. Twiddle with the amplifier tone controls until the test instrument sounds to your liking. 

If possible, test the amp using a bass guitar similar to the one that your daughter will eventually receive.

The Squier MB4 is no longer common in shops. The Cort Action Bass, Squier Affinity P Bass or a Yamaha RBX170 should give a reasonable approximation.
    Be seeing you.
    Just plug in and play. Twiddle with the amplifier tone controls until the test instrument sounds to your liking.

If possible, test the amp using a bass guitar similar to the one that your daughter will eventually receive.
    I would add that the Rumbles have very effective power stage limiting to prevent distortion even if you abuse the volume and bass settings, so if it does sound distorted, it's more likely to be the bass overdriving the input section - back it off slightly at the instrument volume control.