Practice amp for beginner

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thankfully nobody mentioned the Blackstar. Quite nice if that's the only option you got, but I like Cubes and Rumbles more when testing gear in a shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Just plug in and play. Twiddle with the amplifier tone controls until the test instrument sounds to your liking.

If possible, test the amp using a bass guitar similar to the one that your daughter will eventually receive.
    I would add that the Rumbles have very effective power stage limiting to prevent distortion even if you abuse the volume and bass settings, so if it does sound distorted, it's more likely to be the bass overdriving the input section - back it off slightly at the instrument volume control.
    Thanks. I managed to take the actual guitar that she’s going to get. Slight panic to start with as we got no sound. Then realised one of the controls was set to zero/off. Sounds good and pretty powerful. 
    The overdrive on/off seems a bit sensitive but hoping it’ll settle down as the amp looks like its barely been used. 
    Back at home I plugged the Jazzmaster into it and that sounded good too. Will try the Strat at some point. 
    So now just need to order the case and a lead and I think we are done!! 

Thanks chaps - much appreciated!
  • Vinylfan said:
    The overdrive on/off seems a bit sensitive
    If you want dirt, dial in plenty of it. For most applications, a barely detectable gritty edge will suffice.

Be seeing you.
  • Quick update - we gave her the Squier MB4; the Fender Rumble 25v3; lead etc. and she was blown away!  

So massive thanks to all here for helping me make the right choice.

She is practising away as we speak...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use a Peavey Microbass, I owned two for different rooms in the house.  From memory were about £100 - £120 new back in the day although I think I picked up one second hand for £70.  Both lasted for years with no issues.

When I stopped playing bass I advertised them for sale locally for £25 each and got no takers.  I gave one to a nephew and the other is still hanging about somewhere.  Not worth the hassle of posting for that kind of money.

Perfectly good, serviceable bass practice amps and if you can find one you can probably pick it up for next to nothing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”