Any Peter Hammill Fans?

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
Currently listening to Nadir’s Big Chance - which is a great album ahead of its time, I reckon. Apparently Mr J. Lydon is a big fan, as well. Anyway - I’ve also got Once and A Black Box and I’m thinking I need more Hammill in my life. Any album recommendations? I’m not familiar with any Van Der Graf Generator material either, so I might need to dip into that.
Anyone seen him live? I hear he’s quite an intense performer.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3613
    pH7 was what got me first into him, more years ago than I care to remember. I then forgot about him until I got talking music to the Greek technology director of the Italian company that I work for. He, surprisingly, pointed me towards Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night and Silent Corner and Empty Stage. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @drofluf Cheers! 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    Van der Graaf Generator were the first rock band I knew about. I read a piece about them in one of those annuals that small boys received as Christmas presents in the early 1970s: not the Eagle, but something like it. It was not until several years later that I heard them. We didn't have YouTube then.

This is a cracking film – from Belgian television, of course:

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Was a big fan back in 70’s. Saw him do a great solo gig at the Wigmore Hall around that time. Least We Can Do and H to He are really good VDGG albums. Fave solo album is Silent Corner but I lost contact with his music after Nadir. He’s been quite prolific over the years I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZ_tOZB1Qo
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited October 2019
    Peters website is sofasound.com and he posts little missives there from time to time. It's an interesting read and insight into the mind of a seasoned performer. VdGG are playing some UK dates next Spring. 

The current lineup is the core trio of Hammill, Banton and Evans. Worth going to see if you've never done so before. And if you have, too! 

Like Richard Thompson, they are a bunch of old gits who are still writing and performing new stuff as well as old - rather than being their own tribute band. Not quite as prolific as RT, but even so... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Funny you should say that. I've had VDGG's "Wondering" as an ear worm for the last week.

Saw VDGG live in Drury Lane 1976 with original line-up.
    Does anyone have a copy of Killers Angels Refugees? I lost my copy and I’d love to reread. Memory is hazy but vaguely recall tales of touring in Germany and obsessive female fan, Bertha? Assembling an air fix model, badly. Just clicked on the Amazon link to request publisher make available on Kindle - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0859470024/ref=kinw_rke_tl_1
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited October 2019
    Never saw him play or got into VdGG but ph7 and Sitting Targets were favourites, as well as Chameleon.
    Imperial Walls (forget what it's on) is spine tingling.
    A few years I ago played him to my son who is a  "scream metal" fan.. (I think that's what it's called) on a long car journey - loud - and he was almost surprised ;- )
    Just booked tickets to see VDGG in Manchester next May.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    VDGG is a great band and Inhave seen them a few times in the more recent years (I am not that old).

Godbluff is a great album for anyone to have a go. It is both accessible (sort of) and representative of their truly wonderful music.

On a VDGG binge atm. Found this gem...

> On a VDGG binge atm.

Same.