edrum GAS

What's Hot
Why is it that I never really suffered GAS when it came to the guitar but since buying a Roland TD1-DMK earlier this year I've already spent more than it cost on changing things to it, perhaps it's because the parts coming in the post are fairly small compared to a guitar.

Anyway I'm really enjoying drum lessons, wish I'd taken it up years ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I’m actually the other way around round. I’ve been drumming since January, got my own kit in May (Roland TDK17KVX), and haven’t thought about any other drum GAS since, beyond sticks. 

I love it though - seems to engage a different bit of brain than guitar.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm also a guitarist who has converted to drumming.
    I hate e-kits with a passion.
    I have one- a Roland TD50K and everything about it sucks.

Most of my practice is done on a regular kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals.
    I've said the reasons why loads of times so won't bore you again.

My drum GAS is mostly centred around snare drums and cymbals.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    octatonic said:
    I'm also a guitarist who has converted to drumming.
    I hate e-kits with a passion.
    I have one- a Roland TD50K and everything about it sucks.

Most of my practice is done on a regular kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals.
    I've said the reasons why loads of times so won't bore you again.

My drum GAS is mostly centred around snare drums and cymbals.
    In my situation it would be a case of fitting a regular drum kit into the space I've got and not being able to fit myself in to play it or having the e-drum and really enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    neilg said:
    Why is it that I never really suffered GAS when it came to the guitar but since buying a Roland TD1-DMK earlier this year I've already spent more than it cost on changing things to it, perhaps it's because the parts coming in the post are fairly small compared to a guitar.

What have you changed? 
    aspnet said:
    neilg said:

What have you changed? 
    Of the top of my head 

Snare to a PDX100
    Hi-Hat pedal to a FD-9
    Module to a TD-17
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    Useful to know. I've recently bought a TD1DMK as well for my son and I to bash away at. I'd been stuck between going all in for a TD17KVX but couldn't justify the extra cash and space is at a premium. Hasn't taken me long to feel a little constrained though so contemplating upgrades vs selling it on and just buying the more expensive kit in the new year

Was also looking at picking up a TD17 module, along with a 2nd crash.How do you find the new snare & hi-hat pedal compared to stock?
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, I could do with getting a second crash for the songs I've just started learning.

My decision to change the module was due to the poor balancing of each part of the kit, the floor tom being a lot louder than anything else either the kick. I'm really pleased with the sounds of the TD17 in comparison but I guess I should be considering it alone cost more than the whole TD1 kit.

The hi-hat pedal is night and day compared to the standard one which doesn't really have any feel to it.

The snare is just a case of having something bigger to hit, I'd moved the kit pdx 8 snare to the low tom position, I'm already toying with maybe getting a bigger snare still and moving the pdx100 to the low tom and the pdx8 to the high tom position.  It's those white plastic rings around the edge of the pad which are a nuisance.

I'd also forgot I'd replaced the cheap kick pedal that came as part of the bundle I bought with a Pearl P932.
  • Well I sold my Yammy kit on here a couple of weeks ago and have regretted it ever since... so I got the chance to try a  Pearl Compact Traveller acoustic kit, brilliant but way too loud for the home.

Not wanting to replace what I miss I have decided on a different route.. the Alesis Sample Pad Pro with a PDX 12 snare... and some form of kick pedal I don't know which yet.
    Since my last post I've added a CY-15R ride cymbal and used the kit cymbal as an extra crash, only trouble is the CY-15 is so much better it's making me want the equivalent crash.

I've also got the PDX-12 snare and moved the PDX-100 to floor tom position and the PDX-8 to high tom.
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I've been considering a CY-15R to upgrade my TD11, but it's hard to justify the expense right now.  I upgraded all the rubber pads to mesh heads a few years back with used pads from eBay - one of the best things I ever did.
  • I love playing drums, but have to make do with my old dtxpress 4. Does for me and works as a midi controller, would love to upgrade to a mesh kit, but can't justify the cost.

Spend many more hours drumming than guitaring these days.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    Great thread boys,

We bought a TD1DMK in the summer and just about to upgrade to the TD17KVX, mostly for the hihat, snare and TD17 module. Will probably throw a big ride on there as well.

My oldest and youngest sons are consuming the grades at the moment and loving it so I don't mind investing (oldest boys is also a guitarist)  
    Picked up the TD17KVX yesterday, awesome. Also added the Roland hi hat stand and kick drum pedal on noise eaters.

Preset kits sound good, all drums and cymbals levels can be set and levelled individually.

The only thing we would look at upgrading at the moment would be the stand or potentially modifying the central section with two curved longer bar sections.

• skippy76 said:
    Picked up the TD17KVX yesterday, awesome. Also added the Roland hi hat stand and kick drum pedal on noise eaters.

Preset kits sound good, all drums and cymbals levels can be set and levelled individually.

The only thing we would look at upgrading at the moment would be the stand or potentially modifying the central section with two curved longer bar sections.

Nice. The one thing I find with mine is the bass drum slides forwards if you play too heavily. I think I just need to add something across the front of the frame to hold it relative to the rest of the kit. I'm currently thinking some cable ties to bridge the gap at the appropriate height. 

I'm also still very glad I'm only on an e-kit, GAS wise. I'm quite sure if I had a detached house and acoustic kit I'd have a shitload of snare drums by now. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Our bass drum seems stable at the moment, its the Roland noise eater version on carpet, so no slippage. But fixing to the frame would be pretty easy.

Yep the ekits are practical and you don't get sucked into the snare and brass GAS!
  • nocaster60nocaster60 Frets: 4
    edited December 2019

Well I sold my Yammy kit on here a couple of weeks ago and have regretted it ever since... so I got the chance to try a  Pearl Compact Traveller acoustic kit, brilliant but way too loud for the home.

Not wanting to replace what I miss I have decided on a different route.. the Alesis Sample Pad Pro with a PDX 12 snare... and some form of kick pedal I don't know which yet.
    I got a Pearl Traveler off ebay. Use mesh heads with internal triggers, Roland cymbals and hi-hat and a DrumIt Three. Small enough to leave set up, quiet enough to play any time and, more or less, like playing an acoustic kit.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited December 2019
    I sold my V Drums this week and put a deposit down on a custom made Ludwig Classic Maple Classic in my favourite colour - Gold Sparkle.

Sizes are 22x14, 16x16, 13x19.
    Can't wait.
    Never doing e-drums again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice!
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Nice! Not jealous at all!

I'm no drummer, but, a few months back a couple mates asked if I'd play a bit of percussion for their acoustic duo. Basic cajon type stuff. Sure no problem.

We're now a 3 piece and the cajon with kick pedal has been joined by a snare, hats, ride and crash.

Finding it a lot of fun. We're getting quite a few gigs... well a few, 7 in December and turned 2 down due to availability. 

A what stage should I just get a real kit lol