Keeley 4 knob compressor, what’s the deal?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I’ve been looking into getting one of the aforementioned pedals but am unsure of what I should be looking for with regards to internals relating to externals. Basically I’ve noticed a lot of the pedals have different knobs, does this mean they have different internals or was it purely a cosmetic thing from year to year? If some did have different internals would there be a certain one I should be looking for? I’m no cork sniffer so if there isn’t any main reason why I should look for or avoid one your advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I ditched my 4-knob in favour of a Fat General. More expensive, but far, far better. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I suggest the Keeley isn’t all its cracked up to be.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    fandango said:
    I ditched my 4-knob in favour of a Fat General. More expensive, but far, far better. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I suggest the Keeley isn’t all its cracked up to be.
    So how long did you have the Keeley before ditching it for the Thorpy? Was it doing it’s job until you bought a much more expensive pedal, or were you completely disappointed from the get go?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like what they have currently available is called the Keeley Compressor Plus. They published this blog post about what changed, maybe it helps? 
    Some online guitar lessons are worth a lifetime of forum posts!  =)
  • The Keeley is great tbh.

Bye!

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The original Keeley Compressor was a 2 knob. It's basically a cleaned up Dyna Comp/Ross style. It has internal adjustment for attack and (i think) threshold. A 4 knob version of the same comp was then released, putting the internal controls on the exterior. It's still basically a Dyna Comp/Ross style comp.

They then released a slew of comps (it's his best selling effect) inc the Bassist, a 3 knob comp and the Compressor Pro.

The Compressor Pro is the best one but is pricey and has lots of controls to fine tune it's output (though it does have an excellent Auto function which takes care of attack and release for you). Highly recommended.

For an intro to compression, try the 4 knob Compressor, can be picked up used on eBay for 125.00 approx.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    zepp76 said:
    fandango said:
    So how long did you have the Keeley before ditching it for the Thorpy? Was it doing it’s job until you bought a much more expensive pedal, or were you completely disappointed from the get go?
    I got increasingly 'meh' with it (the Keeley) well before Thorpyfx made the Fat General.

The Keeley had too much compression, which wasn't what I wanted. And then I got GAS, and liked what Thorpy was doing with his pedals. As for expensive, hang that! I would say the FG is better value, and I far prefer it to the Keeley.

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2019
    I have a 4 knob and a pro. Both are perfect for my needs. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited October 2019
    It's the same as the 2 knob but with the trim pots moved to the outside.  As said, its based on the Ross/Dynacomp type of compressor, very squishy, and if that's what you like (I do) it's great

My fave is a boss CS2, can get squishy, but also be a bit more subtle.  Personally for the most part I like a good bit of squish

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for your replies and advice. If it’s basically just a rehashed Dynacomp would I be wasting my time and money if I already have a Whirlwind red box which is an upgraded dynacomp (led, 9v dc input) or does the 4 knob Keeley bring something extra to the table? I’m hesitant to pay out for something that I can already get from something I already have.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited October 2019
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you for your replies and advice. If it’s basically just a rehashed Dynacomp would I be wasting my time and money if I already have a Whirlwind red box which is an upgraded dynacomp (led, 9v dc input) or does the 4 knob Keeley bring something extra to the table? I’m hesitant to pay out for something that I can already get from something I already have.
    The Keeley adds the ability to fine tune attack but really, I'd doubt you'd notice much. Stick with Red Box. If you wanted to experiment, maybe try an optical comp, a multi-band or one of the other compression formats.

https://reverb.com/uk/news/what-are-the-types-of-compressor-effects-the-basics
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    zepp76 said:
    The extra 2 knobs do allow you to adjust it to be a bit more subtle.  Depends what you want from it.  If you want that really squished sound as an effect, then probably not worth it, but if you want more versatility then it's definitely an option.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If you've already got the Whirlwind I'd try the Rothwell Lovesqueeze for something a bit different. More subtle, transparent and almost completely noise free.