Request: Clone a specific pickup

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
edited October 2019 in Made in the UK
Hi all,

This is mostly aimed at our resident pickup gurus, but I wanted to check if any of you would be keen to make a "tribute" of one of my favourite, and relatively rare, bridge humbuckers? I've got the full spec sheet for it, but don't have an actual example in hand to reverse-engineer or compare to unfortunately!

Here's a clue, it uses 44awg wire, and it sounds nothing like a PAF.

@alegree
@mojopickups
@oilcitypickups

...and anyone else I've missed!

Cheers!
Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm intrigued.  What is the pickup? 

I have a HB P90 made by Alegree which uses awg44, it's superb. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    edited October 2019
    Well that would spoil the surprise!    Someone's already guessed it, but here's another clue: 19k output.

I've had a set of Alegree's Desert Dew P90s as well - very impressive!
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I guess something from Bill Lawrence.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Well that would spoil the surprise!    Someone's already guessed it, but here's another clue: 19k output.

I've had a set of Alegree's Desert Dew P90s as well - very impressive!
    Holy smokes that is a mountain of output!  I find the 10k output of my DD in the bridge to be incredibly hot!  I think my mind would melt for 19k! 
  • Yep, it's a beast! The closest I've found in tone and character since this one are the SD Custom, and the SD Alternative 8 (another hidden gem), but neither quite have the same thing going on. I've yet to try an SD Distortion though, as that's got fairly similar specs and tone profile apparently.

@Alegree - not a Bill Lawrence!

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Are you just going for the bridge pickup simon or do you want to clone the neck pickup too?  If not do you know what you're going to pair it with? 
  • Well I’ve got a spare of the neck pickup already, and it’s actually identical to another couple of models that they produced. The magic is all in the bridge pickup alone really, although I liked them as a set and the middle positions worked very well together.

I do have the specs for both though so it’s easily doable!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Well I’ve got a spare of the neck pickup already, and it’s actually identical to another couple of models that they produced. The magic is all in the bridge pickup alone really, although I liked them as a set and the middle positions worked very well together.

I do have the specs for both though so it’s easily doable!
    Yeah just had a look at the specs and you're probably right I never realised the neck pickups were the same. 
  • Yep, bit odd really, but I guess it kept things simpler for marketing purposes!
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 308
    tFB Trader
    I no longer make humbuckers, but I'm sure one of the other guys can help.
    Is it a PRS pickup?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow - I hadn’t realised that @Mojopickups

Yes, it’s a PRS Dragon 1 treble pickup. I think you may have actually rewound one of them for me many moons ago - stupidly I sold it on a while later! The matching neck pickup is technically identical to the McCarty and Archtop neck pickups that they make, so all the magic and value on these is on the bridge model alone really - though there’s nothing particularly bad about the neck one!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Why does the OP not buy one of the pickups he desires rather than get someone to clone one for him?  I can't imagine there is much demand for a pickup that measures 19K Ohms.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23924
    Rocker said:
    Why does the OP not buy one of the pickups he desires rather than get someone to clone one for him?  I can't imagine there is much demand for a pickup that measures 19K Ohms.....
    1: No longer available new
    2: None for sale on ebay or on reverb
    3: Only 1 on ebay completed sales

As he said - it's quite rare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    Plus they’re generally quite expensive for a pickup!
  • I did spot this  on eBay.

When I've been looking for harder to find bits, I'll search eBay,com in incognito (otherwise it tries to be too clever and only shows you things that will get shipped to you).

I've had 99% success rate messaging sellers that say they don't ship to the UK and asking if they will - almost all are happy to, just that they usually just tick the box that says "USA only" to avoid all the scammers elsewhere.
    edited October 2019
    Ooh, good find - nice price too! Thanks!
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Wow - I hadn’t realised that @Mojopickups

Yes, it’s a PRS Dragon 1 treble pickup. I think you may have actually rewound one of them for me many moons ago - stupidly I sold it on a while later! The matching neck pickup is technically identical to the McCarty and Archtop neck pickups that they make, so all the magic and value on these is on the bridge model alone really - though there’s nothing particularly bad about the neck one!
    Ive only just come across this thread and decided to put my two bobs worth in.
    I have an early set of dragon pick ups in my 1986 standard and they sound absolutely immense, the magic appears when used on a responsive valve amp wound up and riding the volume pot. Loads of inbetween sounds that's hard to explain.
    My fave prs pick up of all time.
  • ^ yep, there's really something quite special about them! I've since managed to find a bridge pickup at a decent price, and it should be arriving today funnily enough :)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    edited January 2020
    Surely with 44awg wire, 19k, while high, isn't as ridiculously high an output as that number would suggest on a thicker wire gauge? 
    Glad you found one reasonably priced!

I'm also curious as to how on earth you obtained the specs for a PRS pickup, as they're rather generally cagey about details when it comes to their pickups.
    Tim
  • They are indeed, but a spec sheet from the mid-90s was leaked a long time ago, and this was one of them on there back then. I was fortunate to find a copy and saved it for reference. :)

And yes, with the thinner guage wire the output is surprisingly manageable and a little misleading at first!