Comments

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    edited October 2019
    Growing up in the 90's, I always liked the look of the Gibson version nighthawk with the same pickup configuration but never actually played, would be interested to hear others opinions too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    I like my Custom Reissue in Honeyburst. It is super light & has a surprisingly wide range of useable sounds. Got a Seymour Duncan JB slant to replace the original humbucker but haven't fitted it yet. 
    The only aspect that I don't care for are the J-200 style crown inlays, but they don't affect the tone  ;)
    They sell for really affordable prices, so no real reason not to try a punt on one  :)
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    There's a nice blue Gibson Blueshawk on eBay at 699... @joetele ;
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited October 2019
    Yep. The other guitarist in my group has one. I think it's a lovely thing, but it's not your typical Gibson. The neck feels very Fender (as well as the scale length, the profile is different), and the tones can be quite Tele like. Common complaints are that it's very hard to replace the bridge humbucker because of the format which is a bit of a problem for some because they find it a bit lifeless. That's not to say you can't get replacements, there just isn't as much variety with them.

Not really great for high gain stuff, but for the post-punk/indie stuff we play, it works well. That price is more than I'd be willing to pay though. A lot more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    If you don't want to have the original bridge pickup rewound to your specs, you could do worse than this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seymour-Duncan-Nighthawk-SH-4-Bridge/dp/B00BBEUK9U
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited October 2019
    DeeTee said:
    it's not your typical Gibson ... the tones can be quite Tele like. 
    This is pretty much how I remember the original Gibson versions.

DeeTee said:
    it's very hard to replace the bridge humbucker because of the format
    Seymour Duncan offered slanted SH-1B '59 and SH-4 JB direct replacement humbuckers. It would be worth asking Andertons which of these is in the modified Epiphone. 

DeeTee said:
    Not really great for high gain stuff, but for the post-punk/indie stuff we play, it works well. 
    An SH-4 would change that BUT at the expense of unbalancing the split humbucker + middle pickup combination. On the other hand, any American aftermarket pickups would be an improvement over either generation of the stock Asian-made offerings.

DeeTee said:
    That price is more than I'd be willing to pay though. A lot more.
    Agreed. This is the deal breaker.

Be seeing you.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Always referred to as the Shitehawk when the Gibson model first came out. I’m guessing they’ll get collectible at some point, I can’t imagine Gibson sold that many. The Epiphone one in the original link is well overpriced, probably worth about half. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    boogieman said:
    Always referred to as the Shitehawk when the Gibson model first came out. I’m guessing they’ll get collectible at some point, I can’t imagine Gibson sold that many. The Epiphone one in the original link is well overpriced, probably worth about half. 
    Yeah the one on Ebay for £150 is the better price 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Louise Wener. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ugghh! I always liked the look of the Gibson version, but I cannot stand anything with an Epiphone headstock, they look ugly and wrong on everything.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    axisus said:
    Ugghh! I always liked the look of the Gibson version, but I cannot stand anything with an Epiphone headstock, they look ugly and wrong on everything.
    But Epiphone's mummy says he's the handsomest boy in school
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    joetele said:
    axisus said:
    But Epiphone's mummy says he's the handsomest boy in school
    Well, his head falls off a bit less, anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    boogieman said:
    There's an original Gibson one in the shop I work in for a grand - customer's sale. That's probably far too much, but it's a very nice guitar, in near-perfect condition, rare, and if you actively want one there's nothing else that's the same. For the quality of guitar it is it doesn't seem silly money, but that's not always what counts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    That's twice as much as I'd want to pay for one. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.