New bass rig, starting from scratch.

What's Hot
Ladies and gentlemen of this good forum, here's a poser for you.

If you had a decent bass and nothing else, knowing what you already know, what would you buy to build up your pub gig rig?   Maybe a modestly priced multifx/modeller, power amp and cab?  Lots of cute pedals and a combo? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    A couple of pedals or a simple multi-FX, and a powerful but compact combo or small head and cab... or a massive old bombproof combo or head and 1x15" or 4x10" like an old Peavey if you're on a tight budget and are still young and fit :).

I currently have both the combo and head versions of the Ibanez Promethean 5110, but I still miss my old Peaveys... I'll probably pick up another one as long as it's not either a Combo 300 or a later TNT or TKO, which are more than I can carry these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Was in that exact position recently and bought a barefaced one10, an ampeg pf350 and a hx stomp

my needs were loud but not silly loud, flexible and compact/light
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Having these thoughts as well at the moment as I play with a loud punk/post punk band. I have a Zoom B3 for all the FX I need (SVT amp modelling and EQ/Limiter). Current amp, TC Electronics BH250 is struggling to keep up with the guitarist Marshall 4 x 12 cab. The average TC cabs don't help.

Potential solution:
    1. Barefaced 2 x10 or Super Compact (no idea how to make that decision), and if I am still struggling even with a super efficient cab, then
    2. something in the 500w range as a amp - again not sure where to go, though MarkBass come well recommended...

Will be following this thread with interest.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    Pair of Barefaced One10 cabs.

markbass Marcus Limited 800
    Darkglass M900

Drives, compressor, synth, envelope filter, phaser, wah, tuner.

Which is exactly what I’ve got.
  • @4string , how are you finding the Zoom B3?
    4string said:

Current amp, TC Electronics BH250 is struggling to keep up with the guitarist Marshall 4 x 12 cab. The average TC cabs don't help.
    Even a decent 250W amp will be louder than that, they don’t sound loud for their rated power. I would get rid of it as soon as possible - their reliability is also notoriously poor. I had another dead one in the shop last week with some sort of power amp fault, I told the owner to send it back to TC... I don’t want the risk of guaranteeing a repair.

The most surprising thing is the difference in real-world volume between these modern high-power Class D amps and old-school Class ABs. I played a gig a couple of weeks ago using the venue’s ancient Peavey TKO65 - that’s 65W, so I was unsure it would be loud enough, but if it anything I had to turn it down a bit. It was at least as loud as my Promethean (which is admittedly only 250W into its internal speaker) - and I loved the sound of it, hence why I’ve been thinking about looking for one.

The last one I had was a Combo 300, and I’m not going there again! Even after fitting side handles it was an absolute brute to move. I donated it to the practice studio we use...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Full range cab 12", crest power amp maybe a 7001, limiter/compressor, preamp pedal. 

This will give you a very versatile setup and if you need more volume you could add cabs. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021

Darkglass M900

Are you running each amp into a One10, ie, two amps simultaneously?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    JezWynd said:

Darkglass M900

Are you running each amp into a One10, ie, two amps simultaneously?
    Depends how I feel!

tFB Trader
    @4string , how are you finding the Zoom B3?
    I like it. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 and I use it mostly as an amp emulator (SVT) to give it a little hair when I dig in. As I basically only play live (punk/post-punk, so I don't need a subtle of sound), it works very well and gives me a tool kit to get the sound I want. The EQ is good and the limiter/compressor evens out the attack if I need it. Not a massive fan of the overdrives, but then I have only experimented for a short while with them. The best aspect is the form factor, as I can pack it into my Gator bass bag and go to gigs on the train. 

@ICBM the 'going to gigs on the train' aspect is also one of the reasons I still have the BG250 - as long as there is a cab at the venue (most seem to have at least a cab) then I am well set up. From your experience, what is their of a similar form factor that might offer a bit more umph and a decreased chance of breaking? My dream is that a Barefaced cab potentially makes me both fully self contained and still taking the train. :-)
    4string said:

I like it. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 and I use it mostly as an amp emulator (SVT) to give it a little hair when I dig in. As I basically only play live (punk/post-punk, so I don't need a subtle of sound), it works very well and gives me a tool kit to get the sound I want. The EQ is good and the limiter/compressor evens out the attack if I need it. Not a massive fan of the overdrives, but then I have only experimented for a short while with them. The best aspect is the form factor, as I can pack it into my Gator bass bag and go to gigs on the train. 

@ICBM the 'going to gigs on the train' aspect is also one of the reasons I still have the BG250 - as long as there is a cab at the venue (most seem to have at least a cab) then I am well set up. From your experience, what is their of a similar form factor that might offer a bit more umph and a decreased chance of breaking? My dream is that a Barefaced cab potentially makes me both fully self contained and still taking the train. :-)
    Well, we are very similar! I also use a Rickenbacker - actually an old 4001 fitted with humbucking pickups - play in a garage-punk band, whatever subtlety my playing contains tends to be obliterated by a Behringer Superfuzz pedal which is probably on for about half the set, and I travel wherever possible on public transport with just a gig bag... I used to have a B3 too, but didn't like the switching and I really only use fuzz anyway! Wherever possible I use the house amp - I'm reluctant to take my own amp - even just a head - unless it's really essential. There's a bit of punk reverse-snobbery about it in that I pride myself on being able to get a workable sound with any old piece of crap amp, I do admit :).

If I do really need to take one I have the Promethean - actually two of them, one is a 1x10" combo with a detachable head section, and the other is the identical head so I have backup. They're 500W into 4 ohms and 250W into 8. Both come in nylon shoulder bags - the combo weighs about 30lbs though, and is an awkward shape so it's still quite heavy on your shoulder for any distance. And unfortunately both are discontinued - the current model is a very inferior 300W combo only... avoid that.

Others I've been impressed by are the Ampeg PF series, and MarkBass of pretty much any description. Ones I *haven't* been very impressed with are the Trace Elliot Elf (truly tiny, but underpowered), the Gallien Kruger MB200 (marginally better, but not much), and anything by Ashdown (don't have a great reputation for reliability either). I've also briefly tried a couple of higher-end brands - Aguilar, and Euphonic Audio - and found them far too polite-sounding. But bear in mind I love the sound of old Peaveys, so that may not mean I have a very sophisticated ear ;).

tFB Trader
    @ICBM Twins! Apart from the fuzz. On the B3: it sits in the signal chain and I don't switch anything in or out while playing, so I have not spotted the switching issue :-) I agree about the 'getting any old amp to sound as you want' - it seems part of the fun. Finally, having done some research on the Promethean, wow that would be perfect. If you come across one for sale I would appreciate a DM... 
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Interesting discussion. I went with light and if I was doing it again would go with two cabs instead of one. 

I used GenzBenz for a bit but for no specific reason changed to Mesa D800. I really like that amp. Both have DI so don’t need a cab if going straight into PA. 

There are so many decent cab brands going at the moment. I just picked Bergantino AE212 which is very loud. This rig has got me through few hundred gigs with never letting me down. I would like to change it to two 1 12s so you can travel lighter if only one cab is needed. 

I never use pedals I can always get aggression with my fingers which has never been a problem. Tune at the start and it doesn’t go out of tune so no need for anything in the chain. I play five strings so no need to change anything if there are different tunings. 
  • Thank you all for your input.  I was interested in this as my bass buddy was in this situation until last week.  After a trip to PMT Oxford where we tried out a Mark Bass Ninja, an Ashdown, an Orange, and a Dark Glass amp he settled on the Mark Bass Ninja.  Coupled with a light Ashdown 1x12 cab it certainly proved to be an awesome little combo.

TL:DR 

Mark Bass Ninja amp is stunning, Ashdown 1x12 pretty cool.  Pedal still to be bought.  Happy bass player.

Thank you all. :)
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    4string said:
    Having these thoughts as well at the moment as I play with a loud punk/post punk band. I have a Zoom B3 for all the FX I need (SVT amp modelling and EQ/Limiter). Current amp, TC Electronics BH250 is struggling to keep up with the guitarist Marshall 4 x 12 cab. The average TC cabs don't help.

Potential solution:
    1. Barefaced 2 x10 or Super Compact (no idea how to make that decision), and if I am still struggling even with a super efficient cab, then
    2. something in the 500w range as a amp - again not sure where to go, though MarkBass come well recommended...

Will be following this thread with interest.
    Potential solution would be your guitarist realising he doesn't need a cranked 4x12, no matter how much like a rock star it makes him feel!