NGD: Time Machine 1987 PRS Custom 24 + Interesting history

What's Hot

Comments

• So I'm joining the '87 club next week too, although mine's not in quite as good nick as yours! It'll be a fun restoration project though  B)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitargeek62 - Cool - was that the one on ebay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Indeed! Didn't expect to get it for that price but can't say I'm not pleased about it!
  • Indeed! Didn't expect to get it for that price but can't say I'm not pleased about it!
    Brill - great project and should be a cool guitar when you're done! Congrats..
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    DrBob said:
    I remember photos of him playing this when he was interviewed by Guitarist magazine. If memory serves his uncles are Ray & Dave ? 
    That's interesting.. would love to find a copy if this edition! Yeah - the Kinks connection is bang on..
    If you can find the mag it’s got a great “Armani rock” story about how he met Clapton, apparently he was walking down this private beach back to his villa and he passed this bloke and thought “Hang on thats Clapton” turned around to go and say hello and Eric had done the same. 
    It’s another world, it really is..
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @DrBob Any ideas when that mag might have been published? I could have a dig for the article....
  • There’s a copy here that references the same event, not sure if it’s the exact interview though:

https://olipalmer1.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/interview-with-phil-palmer-180213/
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    What a great story and great way to get your new guitar. Big congrats 
  • DLM said:
    @DrBob Any ideas when that mag might have been published? I could have a dig for the article....
    Thanks - I've mailed the Guitarist peops to see if they can dig anything out. I've searched the web but can't find anything unfortunately. I consider myself pretty lucky to have all that I have with this guitar but a copy of a Guitarist interview with Phil and the guitar would be the icing on the cake. I'll also reach out to Phil via my contact and see if he can remember the year he did it.

Thanks,

Si
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @guitargeek62 That won't be the Gutarist interview, but it is stonking, great yarns and the hilarious sausage story, thanks for posting! :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Lovely story. 
    Phil was the musical director for the Strat Pack concert so I've got him on DVD somewhere. Although I guess playing a strat rather than a PRS. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DLM said:
    @guitargeek62 That won't be the Gutarist interview, but it is stonking, great yarns and the hilarious sausage story, thanks for posting! :)
    The sausage story is priceless.. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    There’s a copy here that references the same event, not sure if it’s the exact interview though:

https://olipalmer1.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/interview-with-phil-palmer-180213/
    LOL

Oli: Of course a popular stereotype of musicians is what you were hinting at; staying up all night and then on stage the next night maybe still drunk or high… looking back on the period while you were touring in the 80’s and 90’s did you ever encounter any of these SPINAL TAP-like situations?

Phil: SPINAL TAP and those other kind of spoof movies are alarmingly close to reality, and although I avoided a lot of the drug and alcohol business I did see instances that were just like the movie. And I’ve been in situations that are… embarrassing really now… consequently I can’t watch those movies becasue they’re too similar to what I went through myself.

Oli: Would you be willing to share any stories that might have made it into the SPINAL TAP finished script had the writers had access to your stories?

Phil: There is the sausages story of Dire Straits. Basically we’d been in America for a while, at least 6 weeks or something and everyone was really really tired of the food and wanted something a bit more interesting. So we were doing a gig in Canada and the caterers found a Marks & Spencer there and they bought all the pork sausages that they could find to feed the crew and we’d heard about this before we even got to the gig. We were saying “they’ve found pork sausages and we’re having sausages, mash, baked beans and fried onions for dinner tonight”, and everyone was incredibly excited about that. So we got to the gig and did the sound check and then we went to have dinner and it was fantastic. We had English mustard and onion gravy and everything was just perfect. But Mark and I think John [Illsley] decided, which was quite normal for them, that they were gonna save theirs and have it afterwards. So two plates were put aside for Mark and John both with three or four sausages and they would just microwave it after. But, when they came off stage there was only 2 sausages on Mark’s plate… and he was extremely upset. So he had all the crew marched in one by one and questioned them. I have a vivid picture in my mind of him: he still had his headband on and he was soaking wet in the dressing room, pissed off, and he said to each crew member one by one “Have you eaten my sausages? Because if I find out who it is they’re on the next plane home”, and of course nobody owned up to it and the evening went by and it was forgotten about. But the next gig which was a couple days later we arrived at the gig and Mark was still pretty angry about the sausages but the crew decided they would try and make a joke out of it. So they printed out a new set list with all new songs on it and it said things like ‘Romeo and Sausages’, ‘Money for Sausages’, ‘Sultans of sausages’ etc. And I remember Mark looking down at it and he was still pretty angry and he tore it to shreds and that’s the end of the story but I do know now 20 years later who it was that ate the sausages…

Oli: Do you think if Mark found out now he’d still try and get his revenge somehow?

Phil: Well it was a guy called Pete, one of the minders, I think he still works for him sometimes…
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Great story. Thanks for posting 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    Wow, nice score. The pic of that very guitar in the Guitarist interview set me off on the train south to London with a wad of cash for Doug Chandler. 
    Phil Palmer was one of the last people to stand on stage with S.R.V........

http://philpalmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/srv-final-show.jpg
  • @Strat54 - really appreciate the post. Purchased!

Thanks,

Si
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    That's the dream right there,! Well done 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    edited October 2019
    @DLM - thanks very much for this.

I've asked Phil when he had the multi-tap system installed by Chandlers as the guitar obviously just had the sweet switch when he bought it new..

Part of me also dies a little when I see Alan Murphy mentioned.. what a great, great guitar player and a loss so young... :(

Regards,

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom