Mixing Challenge No' 7...

What's Hot
Right then groovy gang...

Time for another... and a small rule change for this one...

The track is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-617343615/nine-to-five-uncle-slippyfist

the rule change? as per a suggestion in another thread

Well this time you can only use your DAW's STOCK PLUGINS!!!!!

This is about getting a good mix from what is available, so no "re-recording parts" but feel free to use or not use the tracks available...and remember ONLY STOCK PLUGINS CAN BE USED!!!

If you want to join the fun, send me a DM and I will provide you with a link to the raw tracks.

Send your submissions to mix@thefretboard.co.uk as an mp3.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th Nov 2019 with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Voting will end on 11.30pm 30th Nov 2019

The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.  

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them in the playlist below. Hopefully we can share tips and tricks on how the mix was achieved. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Stem me up 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm in .. I feel that stock plugins might put some people with a budget DAW at a disadvantage.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Agree with Fret. Given the inspiration for this was Reaper's stock plugins how about we all use that? There's a generous trial period (and it's cheap to buy anyway). Otherwise it's not a very level playing field (perhaps?!)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Fretwired said:
    I'm in .. I feel that stock plugins might put some people with a budget DAW at a disadvantage.
    oaf said:
    Agree with Fret. Given the inspiration for this was Reaper's stock plugins how about we all use that? There's a generous trial period (and it's cheap to buy anyway). Otherwise it's not a very level playing field (perhaps?!)
    I guess it does depend on what plugins folk are going to use... basic eq, compression etc should be similar across the board no?
    edited October 2019
    Got the stems. Thanks.

I don't think the plugins you use make that much difference - it's how you use them and often less is more. The stock plugins in Cubase (the DAW I use) are as good as anything the big boys make. There is a great Steinberg vid where a guy mixes a pro track using half a dozen standard plugins. Sounds great. Why buy a Waves plugin?

I don't know about anyone else but I only use four or five at most.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'm in. I'm gonna stick to my regular ableton setup because learning reaper would take too long for me. It took me about a year to get really comfortable on ableton since I changed over from cubase! 
    And we're off...

It's quite fun to be limited to the stock plugins! Some things are a little more difficult, but it makes me think a bit more about what I'm doing, so I guess it's not all bad :)
    I’ll join in with this one... wasn’t very happy with original anyway... but, rather than use logic I’ll give it a whirl with GarageBand and just the plugins that cone bundled with that.
    Do we have a BPM?

Just an idea to level the playingfield. Use free plugins. Computer Music has a super suite of free plugins for PC and Mac and there are loads of excellent pulgins from the major manufactuers  which are free. We could create a pack that everyone can use. I have loads I could share.

95bpm iirc.  I’ll double check when I’m back in front of the Mac...

The communal pack of plugins is a great idea... if everyone else is up for it.
    Rough mix done.

I think I'm almost there. Need to check it on a broader range of gear this time. And it will be much less squashed :)
    SUBMITTED! :+1: 
    oaf said:
    SUBMITTED! :+1: 
    Was just going to ask who sent that!!!
    My cover is blown - apologies, I forgot to mention my forum ID in the email!
    edited October 2019
    @oaf's and mine in the playlist below

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/mixing-chalenge-no-7

I used garageband and found it really quite difficult!!!!!!
    And entered - good task as I learned something. I use Cubase and only used the basic plugins on the channel strip mix. Never done this before as they are fairly basic (and I thought rubbish) - the main plugin suit is better, or so I thought. Less is more. I only used the standard compressor, EQ and delay. Very few options and knobs but they sounded great (to my ears at least). No fancy plugins - don't know why I bought them now. A real eye (and ear) opener.

Got it... will upload tomorrow now
    @Fretwired added to the playlist
    Just noticed the date, should we be voting now? :)