Quit the 9-5, first day of freedom

What's Hot
CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
in Off Topic tFB Trader

Today's my first day after quitting work. I've had a lot of hand & arm issues this year, many doc visits, scans in injections and such, and in short the only fix offered was "don't do what you do". So I stopped, nothing else for it.

Recently discovered certain manual actions actually make me better, not all, but a great result - so started another Firebird build. From now on I hope to be making guitars & doing setups & maybe paint. For a long time I've done stuff by word of mouth so try and ramp that up a bit. Got a decent setup with separate spray room, done cars & bikes as well as guitars, can do 2k/urethane and nitro.
Not expecting to make much of any money at all here, , main thing is I love doing it all* and right now I'm majorly happy vs my sanity being right down the toilet before.

Yeah. Loud guitars save lives!

*except sanding. Sanding sucks.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one!

Sanding needn’t be a pain... depends what you’re using. Get some Mirka Abranet gauze and a decent, properly rated, dust extractor. It comes in block sizes, long strips or DA disks. 
    That’s what I use on cars every day and I wouldn’t even consider using anything else until I get up to relatively fine grade w&d.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Good luck with your new life. I am doing a guitar at the moment, have shaped and sanded down the body which is Ash, and am really enjoying the varnishing, which I am up to seven coats now. It's really satisfying.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I should add, I don’t miss my 9-5 either. Not even slightly.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    edited August 2019
    simonk said:

Other than one or two spells of agency work to raise some funds when work has been quiet, I've not done a proper day's work in years
    I'm lucky enough to have paid off my mortgage, and with the recent death of my Dad promising a little cash in the New Year I doubt I'll need to do another 9-5 again.

Which is nice.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3612
    Good luck! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Bill, I’d always assumed that guitar repairing was your day job. Good luck with the new venture.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Congrats Bill.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader

Cheers chaps, thanks.

simonk I keep looking at Abranet, but using 3M at the mo all blocking by hand on guitars.

Roland thanks, it was just for fun, still should be I reckon. James I spoke to your man the other day, thanks again for that heads up.

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    Nice one Bill, the dog will be happy :)

“Ken sent me.”
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Mike :) got me a Rams Head 73 finally, arrived today.. hope you're liking your MJW amp
    tFB Trader

Just an update before a 'made in UK'  post - firstly after the original post someone from here made me a very kind offer, really nice and out of the blue... you know who you are, thanks again :) Man of oak.

I'm now registered solo with the gub'ment and bank and accountant sorted. Basic website up, need to add loads more but there's lots to do in the workshop.

Been overhauling & painting workshop & spray room, painting cleaning fixing etc. Where 3-4 months ago on some days I couldn't hold a pen to write my name, hold a plectrum, like that. And now I'm out there all hours. And got a build well underway

http://corvusguitarworks.com/images/fb2/primer_rear.jpg
    http://corvusguitarworks.com/images/fb2/primer_head.jpg

Couple of other nice things, the guy who got me started building has been in touch after lots of lost years, he's also quit work and building so we'll be meeting up. And another old mate says come and play on their album. So all pretty good so far. Even the dog's getting into it, morphing into some sort of hairy extractor ... : )

http://corvusguitarworks.com/images/extracto_dogg.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best wishes Bill. If you were a bit closer to me then I'd be happy to let you have a look at/set up my guitars. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Insanely jealous. Very best of luck !!!!!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Well done for getting out of the rat race. The world cannot have enough firebirds, so technically you are providing a service. ;)
    Best of luck as the new venture progresses.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    All the best in your new lifestyle, I do love a success story.  ;)
    tFB Trader
    Cheers muchly chaps, cheers :thumbsup:
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    9-5 would be great.  My normal day is 8-6 plus Saturday mornings.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    uncledick said:
    9-5 would be great.  My normal day is 8-6 plus Saturday mornings.
    Retail ?
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866

Paul_C said:
    simonk said:

Other than one or two spells of agency work to raise some funds when work has been quiet, I've not done a proper day's work in years
    I'm lucky enough to have paid off my mortgage, and with the recent death of my Dad promising a little cash in the New Year I doubt I'll need to do another 9-5 again.

Which is nice.
    Enjoy :)