Secondary Intention wound healing.. anyone been through this?

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
Anybody on here experienced this method of wound healing where the site is left open to heal and repair from the inside out?

I was released from hospital last week after spending 10 days there on around the clock on intravenous meds to combat a post operative infection in my hip after a bone graft was taken from it. The wound has been left open to allow fluids to escape and I am currently having to visit the doctor's surgery daily to get the dressing changed.

Apparently it's going to be a long haul for this wound to heal so I just wondered if any of you folks have gone through a similar situation and what your experiences of it were.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2355
    It's the only way you'll heal a deep wound like that. If the skin closed over the top you'd have an abscess and it would need opened again.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    no direct experience of it, but when mrs f was 1st admitted to hospital the only bed available was in the HDU and there was a girl next to her who had that on her calf, did not sound fun at all when they were changing the wound. She was discharged a few days later so no idea how long it took to heal up. Hope it's soon, does not sound fun to me. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Yeah it's all normal. It does take longer but it's the best way for the wound to heal properly. Things can get nasty if they don't.

If you don't mind me asking, how big is the wound? Have the mentioned the depth, length, width? They'll be measuring and monitoring the progress just wondering if they've told you.

Are you having wet or dry dressings? Do you know what they are using to pack it with?
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I have had several abscesses and each one, when drained had the area of skin cut away leaving an open wound.

This was then packed with a non-stick dressing which was changed everyday. Slowly the wound heals from the bottom up, eventually covering and healing completely.

Each time I was off work for 6 weeks, due to the location of the abscesses, but can be as little as 4 weeks to heal.

It is a bit of a bind, but the time flies and it does heal well.

Good luck.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Finally...whoo hoo I've had my final stitches out. YEEEEES! Thank God.. or whoever for that.
    Man, I thought the damn thing would never heal. I've been on Pico dressings i.e. battery powered negative pressure dressings, for months and my consultant decided that the wound wouldn't heal further without being 'abraded' and then closed with stitches.. so I had that operation a couple of weeks ago.

After a few close calls and a lot of blood the bugger eventually decide to give up and actually heal.

Christ what a ball-ache and scary time the past 4+ months have been but at least my side has finally closed up.
    Kudos to the nurses in the fracture-clinic at Stafford Hospital, they have been just brilliant and so supportive.*

My right shoulder is still not right though and I think I may have to have a 3rd operation to replace the whole ball-joint assembly.. but at least my hip has healed!

Just recording this here so that if any other poor sod has to go through a similar meat-grinder as me , there is light at the end if the tunnel. Phew!

* I inundated them with luxury chocolate biscuits just to say thank you :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Really glad to hear it mate, must have been a scary and difficult time !
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Pleased to hear you're better - what a nightmare!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Yes matey - very pleased to hear this. +1 on the praise of Stafford hospital too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"