Eyesight to the Blind - Eric Clapton version (Tommy)

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
What's the chord sequencing here guys, just so I can jam along?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjPt1fZsSs

Ultimate guitar seems to have it as Am through G and D, and although that seems like a logical progression it sounds way off, I've tried manually to locate it myself but can't find it.

Help.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited October 2019
    Only just had a quick listen. Although there's s a minor third in the riff there's not a strong major or minor feel. So I'm guessing the verse is something like A5 D5 A5 G D E7. When EC is soloing though I think things are staying on the A5.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited October 2019
    HAL9000 said:
    Only just had a quick listen. Although there's s a minor third in the riff there's not a strong major or minor feel. So I'm guessing the verse is something like A5 D5 A5 G D E7. When EC is soloing though I think things are staying on the A5.
    Yep exactly. The thing is, it’s classic blues rock, and blues rock is very ambiguous about major or minor. An A major chord sounds too happy, whereas an A minor chord sounds too sad. 

Major vs minor is determined predominantly by the 3rd but also the 6th and 7th. A major has major 3rd, 6th and 7th; A minor has minor 3rd, 6th and 7th. 

This song definitely has a minor 7th in the bass riff, but it also has a major 6th (because the IV chord, the D, is major, with a major 3rd). So the song could be mixolydian or dorian. Both have major 6 and minor 7, they differ only on the 3rd. But even mixolydian, the most minor of the major modes, sounds too happy, and dorian, the most major of the minor modes, sounds too sad. 

This song really is right down the middle - like Hal says you really can’t decide whether a C or C# is appropriate. And the accompaniment avoids the note completely - the 3rd is left to the soloist, so the question is, does EC play a major or minor 3rd, and the answer is that he plays it as he feels or he squeezes it up from minor to major, which is the bluesy style. 

I’d play A5, or maybe A5 with a 7th, or maybe sometimes switch up to A7b10 (“A7#9”) on the 5th fret because that incorporates both a major and minor 3rd in a single chord. 

The rest of the chords are G, D and E7. The E7 is interesting because you’d expect that to have a major 3rd (G#) but EC quite often plays a minor 3rd (G), or again a squeezed minor/major 3rd, which gives it even more blues flavour. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Yep exactly. The thing is, it’s classic blues rock, and blues rock is very ambiguous about major or minor. An A major chord sounds too happy, whereas an A minor chord sounds too sad. 

Major vs minor is determined predominantly by the 3rd but also the 6th and 7th. A major has major 3rd, 6th and 7th; A minor has minor 3rd, 6th and 7th. 

This song definitely has a minor 7th in the bass riff, but it also has a major 6th (because the IV chord, the D, is major, with a major 3rd). So the song could be mixolydian or dorian. Both have major 6 and minor 7, they differ only on the 3rd. But even mixolydian, the most minor of the major modes, sounds too happy, and dorian, the most major of the minor modes, sounds too sad. 

This song really is right down the middle - like Hal says you really can’t decide whether a C or C# is appropriate. And the accompaniment avoids the note completely - the 3rd is left to the soloist, so the question is, does EC play a major or minor 3rd, and the answer is that he plays it as he feels or he squeezes it up from minor to major, which is the bluesy style. 

I’d play A5, or maybe A5 with a 7th, or maybe sometimes switch up to A7b10 (“A7#9”) on the 5th fret because that incorporates both a major and minor 3rd in a single chord. 

The rest of the chords are G, D and E7. The E7 is interesting because you’d expect that to have a major 3rd (G#) but EC quite often plays a minor 3rd (G), or again a squeezed minor/major 3rd, which gives it even more blues flavour. 
    Wow! Explains things way better than I ever could. Have a wis! 
    edited October 2019
    I took like 6 paragraphs, you only needed 1!!! I was just having a waffle. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    thanks for the info guys, it's something I've tried to jam along to many a time. I'm currently undergoing wah therapy and trying (badly) to do some justice to what's going on in the background, your help is very much appreciated !!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    viz said:

The thing is, it’s classic blues rock, and blues rock is very ambiguous about major or minor.
    Someone once told me (about blues rock in general) not to think of it as being in A major or A minor, but to think of it as being in A.
    HAL9000 said:
    viz said:

The thing is, it’s classic blues rock, and blues rock is very ambiguous about major or minor.
    Someone once told me (about blues rock in general) not to think of it as being in A major or A minor, but to think of it as being in A.
    I was going to write just that!