I preferred a Crafter over Martin and Taylor...

What's Hot
... And I brought it home. SR Rose plus, which means Sunrise as per the inlays showing the sun rising over the mountains, Rosewood back, sides and fretboard, Plus for the solid top and back.
Tried several Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Sigma, and few other brands in the 800-1000€ ballpark and I finally bought this.
Nice tone, big volume, nice dinamic, extremely easy to play (and it comes with 0.12 strings), solid woods except for the sides, nice inlays on fretboard and other appealing details all over.
Bought it also for the plugged in sound, really convincing and articulated, even plugged into a Fender Blues Junior lol! 

Here is a video I just shoot!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Well done for having the courage to buy the one you liked best over one of the brands you 'should' prefer :).

Sometimes you get really nice examples, and sometimes a whole model or brand performs well above its price point. I've come across a lot of Crafters I really like too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Blimey - they must be doing something good, as there’s a guy over on the Strat forum who’s done the same ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Blimey - they must be doing something good, as there’s a guy over on the Strat forum who’s done the same ;)

LOL, yes I have seen it too! Well that guy is all over the forums and FB! I came here because I know this brand is more known here in the UK... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Nowt wrong with that. There are great and less great examples of everything out there, and tone is 100% subjective. Enjoy!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Excellent value for money - especially considering the MSRP for an L.R. Baggs Element transducer.

the plugged in sound
    Unfortunately, because of my prejudices, my hearing focuses on the slightly unnatural piezo tone. (This is entirely my problem, not yours.) 
    Be seeing you.
    Funkfingers said:

Unfortunately, because of my prejudices, my hearing focuses on the slightly unnatural piezo tone. (This is entirely my problem, not yours.) 
    I think this is one of those things you become 'sensitised' to, and thus notice more even in sounds that have less of the characteristic which irritated you so much when you first realised why you didn't like it. I think we're both old enough to remember the characteristic Ovation and Takamine piezo sound in the early 1980s :).

The 'digital modelling' sound is another one - I was exposed to a Roland GP100 early on, and for a long time I heard the same weird broken-glass sound in other modellers, even when it was much less pronounced. They've got good enough that I mostly don't, now... or its just that the memory has faded ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• That’s a great guitar well done, buy the one you feel a bond with for sure, great playing too and the looks , wow it’s outstanding, I had a lovely crafter from cash converters once ,impulse buy as it was ace but I panicked as I couldn’t afford it at the time and sold it . I think your crafter is way nicer than the Martin / Taylor  stuff . In the past years I have had pace vintage tiger, jackson soloist, ibanez s series electrics , Sterling musicman etc but have fell in love with a Squier contemporary I bought this year. I still like other guitars and just got another charvel but I do love my Squier . A musician I follow who used to be in la guns ,Stacey blades plays a crafter acoustic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Brilliant video. Well produced. Great sound. Wonderful playing.
  • fandango said:
    Brilliant video. Well produced. Great sound. Wonderful playing.
    Thanks mate!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Thanks for this post - really well produced demos with a great sound. Just goes to show that there are some really good options out there if you don't get too hung up about the brand thing
  • GTC said:
    Thanks for this post - really well produced demos with a great sound. Just goes to show that there are some really good options out there if you don't get too hung up about the brand thing
    Thanks!!! 
  • Sometimes I'm a fanboy of various brands. Most of the time I prefer value for money. My VM Jazz didn't sound worse than a MIM Fender when I bought it. 

The brand might be why I choose to try it out. It's feel, sound and price that are usually why I buy it.
  • ... And I brought it home. SR Rose plus, which means Sunrise as per the inlays showing the sun rising over the mountains, Rosewood back, sides and fretboard, Plus for the solid top and back.
    Tried several Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Sigma, and few other brands in the 800-1000€ ballpark and I finally bought this.
    Nice tone, big volume, nice dinamic, extremely easy to play (and it comes with 0.12 strings), solid woods except for the sides, nice inlays on fretboard and other appealing details all over.
    Bought it also for the plugged in sound, really convincing and articulated, even plugged into a Fender Blues Junior lol! 

I've not played a great martin or Taylor under 2500 retail (new)

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I could add Gibson to that 
  • Andy79 said:
    I could add Gibson to that 
    I've never played a great or even good gibson acoustic.  Modern day anyway
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    You really have to go back to the 50s to get a good Gibson. Different story for Martin. They have good consistency.
    But for the majority of us these ‘All American’ big ticket guitars just aren’t worth the outlay. 

Sub £500 is where the fun is at these days for me. The quality in that bracket is awesome 
    I own a great modern Gibson - a 2008 Dove - and played a few more, but they’re definitely very variable. Since I got my Dove I’ve played three others and none were remotely as good.

• I play a good one (J45) on a daily basis and played another from the same shop, so I don't think they are that rare. IMHO I think a lot of the brands made in the Far East are suspect to ridiculous hype based on the price tag alone.

Nice video by the way OP. Is that your arrangement?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    ... And I brought it home. SR Rose plus, which means Sunrise as per the inlays showing the sun rising over the mountains, Rosewood back, sides and fretboard, Plus for the solid top and back.

I've not played a great martin or Taylor under 2500 retail (new)

Not a big fan of Taylor but there are good Martins at lower price points if you don't mind going non-traditional.  I had an OOOX1AE for a few years - that's the Mexican made one with the HPL back and sides, Stratobond neck, and unfinished look.  That sounded better than other guitars in the shop that were twice the price - maybe because of the thin finish.  If didn't sound as good as my HD28V, but you are paying a lot of extra money for the extra 5 or 10% with the high end ones.

I didn't like the old Standard Series Martins at all.  I think I've only played one of the new D18s with the forward shifted bracing, and none of the new D28s.  I suspect they will be a lot better sounding than the old models.

• I play a good one (J45) on a daily basis and played another from the same shop, so I don't think they are that rare. IMHO I think a lot of the brands made in the Far East are suspect to ridiculous hype based on the price tag alone.

Nice video by the way OP. Is that your arrangement?
    The Amazing grace section is inspired to Tommy Emmanuel, the middle section is a random arrangement and the final bluesy one is again stolen from T. E.