How do you take the 'next step' in terms of fanbase?

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the best place for this post - was struggling to find a suitable home for it. 

So my band have been together, in the current line up, since around July. We've played 4 gigs in that time (including a decent headline slot at Mcr academy 3) and have spent the last month concentrating on recording our first batch of songs, ready for distribution. 

I'm looking for your views and guidance on how a band takes that next step from where we are now with approx 300 fb likes (which are mainly friends and family and the odd person at a gig) to where we see other local bands in the many hundreds or even thousands. Is that purely from gigging? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Get yourself a Youtube channel and a couple of videos, subscribe to all the Facebook groups you can think of doing new music, original music whatever, get. Twitter and Instagram accounts follow loads of people and bombard it with posts.

Honesty Im trying to promote a Tee shirt idea at the moment and its hard work, but you get the odd break which boost your enthusiasm.

Yo should put a link to your material in your Sig. on here for a start, I mean Ive no idea who you are, what you do, how to find or follow you...basics, everyone on here could be following your Fb page ?

Ive been doing a sort of promotion trade off lately which is cool i.e. I send people Tee shirts for free...they wear them in videos or band pics, I promote their band by virtue of Tee shirt images on my website.

www.studiowear.co.uk

Good luck !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jake_the_pakejake_the_pake Frets: 25
    edited November 2019
    thanks for the message @spark240 ;.

Good shout on the sig front - hadn't even occurred to me. Will get on that!

And I'd be keen on your promo trade idea - send us a PM if you fancy talking about that more. We'll have video and photo shoots coming up soon to go alongside our first EP so good opportunity.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    You could always plug yo' stuff in the tFB Plug My Stuff zone.  =)

SoundCloud Pro offers selling options. Check their terms & conditions to see what percentages of the takings go to whom.

One gig per month probably isn't enough. Ideally, the publicity that you generate via social media attracts an audience large enough to make the larger gigs profitable.

spark240 said:
    it's hard work
    Possibly, even, enough work to justify employing somebody to handle it full-time. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.