Sigma Opinions?

What's Hot
Hello,

I've been eyeing up a Sigma S000M-18 lately, looking at it to replace my GS mini as I fancy something a bit bigger and louder. Does anybody have any first hand experience with Sigma guitars?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited October 2019
    I have a sigma J45 and it’s  bloody lovely. I play it every day and haven’t got bored yet. I played a Gibson J35 next to it and no way could I justify the extra £1k. 
    It had an under saddle pickup which went in the bin and the tone got a tiny bit better still. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
    edited October 2019
    I got another Sigma this week (Dr 28).They  are outstanding for the price.I have Martin’s to compare them with,they are scarily close.Even match the wood grain,and no I don’t work for them.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Sigma are amazing guitars for night out prices
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Good prices, I find them a bit heavily built and stiff personally. But if you like them they are a lot of guitar for the money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I agree with the heavy build. Seems to be a common theme with Far East stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Andy79 said:
    I agree with the heavy build. Seems to be a common theme with Far East stuff.
    Not so Eastman, I'd say they are light build and very light finish. 
  • Thanks for the replies. They sound very positive.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    I’ve never played one but was tempted by this one at Coda. Too much money for me though at £399. 

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    Bought an Eastman a few weeks ago, absolutely superb. Played it against some 2k Martins, much preferred the Eastman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    markj said:
    Bought an Eastman a few weeks ago, absolutely superb. Played it against some 2k Martins, much preferred the Eastman.
    What did you get? 

I bought an Eastman E10ss which, despite some issues with the nut, is an excellent guitar. 
  • I’ve never played one but was tempted by this one at Coda. Too much money for me though at £399. 

I have the same guitar,Can’t fault it.These are not made any more but your right too much money.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Picked up SDM-18 recently. All solid woods, plays and sounds amazing. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    Fuengi said:
    markj said:
    What did you get? 

I bought an Eastman E10ss which, despite some issues with the nut, is an excellent guitar. 
    This.   https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164860/new-eastman-acoustic-guitar-coming-my-way-early-next-week#latest
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    I have a sigma j45 style which I love, briefly considered selling it until I spent some time playing it yesterday!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited October 2019
    Somebody I know has a GMCE-1+ with which he is increasingly pleased - especially after it received compliments at an acoustic open mic session. His Sigma gives my fifteen year old Martin DM a run for its money.

Andy79 said:
    It had an under saddle pickup which went in the bin and the tone got a tiny bit better still. 
    I suspect that this would also be true of a GMCE-1+. Transducer strip out, new saddle in, K&K or L.R. Baggs Lyric installation. Job done.
    Be seeing you.
  • Bought a MIK DM1-12 for £189 in 1989, still have it,only ever used 9s on it so only a little belly bow and still remarkably playable,  it'll be my go to acoustic 12 until I find my dream Guild F412. 
  • I had a late 70s Sigma DM-18 that I sold around '93, when I kinda lost interest in guitar. It was one of the nicest acoustics I have ever played and have regretted selling it pretty much every day since.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I have had some experience with Sigma guitar's. I used to own a DR28 made in Japan about 1980. It was a very resonant guitar, but sounded nothing like a D28, but a great guitar in it's own right. I went on to buy a Korean SDR-28H (HD28 copy) and its superb, love it more than the Japanese as it has more bottom end and balance. 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    To echo the comments above - went and tried the Sigma 000-18S and a Eastman E1-OM and went with the Eastman. The Sigma was OK but the quality on the Eastman was better and sound and play-ability were spot on. They had an Eastman dreadnought E1 there as well which sounded absolutely amazing but D shapes are a bit too large for me to widdle away on for longer periods of time.
  • My daily player/couch guitar is a Sigma 0015s. A really lovely little player considering the price (£250 used).