Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Ultra Series

What's Hot
WOW - thought they'd be more interesting...

Leo Fender was the pioneer behind the evolution of the solid-body musical instrument, from designing and manufacturing the very first electric bass guitar in 1951 to inventing the most iconic guitar design of all time the Stratocaster in 1954. It is no surprise that his legacy lives on and Fender have pushed the boundaries yet again with one of the most advanced series of guitars and basses designed to cover the needs of modern players who demand the ultimate in precision, performance and tone.

Whether you are a guitarist or a bass player the American Ultra Series will cater for all with the new body contours and rolled fingerboard edges to provide the most comfortable playing experience. The lineup includes the Fender American Ultra Stratocaster which is available as an HSS option to deliver a punchier sound from the bridge pickup, the American Ultra Telecaster, American Ultra Jazzmaster for a truly modern take on a guitar that is normally very traditional, American Ultra Jazz Bass and the American Ultra Precision Bass which has a PJ pickup configuration for even more versatility. All models are available with a Rosewood or Maple fretboard and have a whole host of new colours to choose from including Plasma Red Burst, Mocha Burst, Cobra Blue and Texas Tea to name a few.

The brand new Fender American Ultra series ticks all of the boxes and delivers a versatile, state-of-the-art instrument that will inspire you to push your playing to new heights. Above. Beyond. Ultra

From £1,750 - £1,900!

Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They hyped it up as if they were going to be hugely different.... disappointing and expensive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited November 2019
    I had absolutely no thought that it would be more interesting than that, when I saw their ad campaign I just thought they were going over the top for a lot of nothingness.

Actually goes against them in a way - I'm sure I'm not the only one who is now focusing on how underwhelming it is compared to the build up and hype. If they weren't BSing so much in the ads we might be more focused on the instruments themselves which may well be good in their own samey way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They hyped it up as if they were going to be hugely different.... disappointing and expensive 
    I was hoping they'd have things like:

Compound Radius neck - D shape
    Stainless steel frets
    Roasted maple boards
    24 frets
    Floyd Rose Trem
    Luminlay side dots
    Interchangable pickups via a quick-switch system

Knock them out at £800-£1300 - for Player - MIM/MIJ versions - then £1,700 for MIA.
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I tend to think that American Ultra sounds like it ought to be a terrible action movie from the 90s starring Jean Claude Van Damme. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23914
    An excuse to increase the price then?

Pointless exercise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems like they took some of the ideas from the Japanese Hybrid models.... then upped the price. So underwhealmed. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson get a lot of shit for constantly 'updating' their guitars, but Fender seem to do much the same almost as often. 

No nitro finishes as well, gloss poly.  I presume the tuners are Ping as well? 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    Emperor's New Clothes - erstwhile American Elite & Deluxe ranges by a different name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WildWayz said:
    They hyped it up as if they were going to be hugely different.... disappointing and expensive 
    I was hoping they'd have things like:

Compound Radius neck - D shape
    Stainless steel frets
    Roasted maple boards
    24 frets
    Floyd Rose Trem
    Luminlay side dots
    Interchangable pickups via a quick-switch system

Knock them out at £800-£1300 - for Player - MIM/MIJ versions - then £1,700 for MIA.
    Yeh I was thinking more inline with the current suhr offering. Such a missed opportunity to take some business back 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Meh
  • I also really dislike D shaped necks, most of the ones I've used make my hand cramp up after a while. 
  • "You'll never play a Fender the same way again"

Because they put a belly carve on a Telecaster??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "You'll never play a Fender the same way again"

Because they put a belly carve on a Telecaster??
    I've got a big belly and not had a problem with it on my Tele... could do with a tit carve too tho ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    StefB said:
    Emperor's New Clothes - erstwhile American Elite & Deluxe ranges by a different name.
    This.

The marketing people have to do something to try to justify their existence.  At least this new name isn't as stupid as Vintera though.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    More nonsense and an excuse for a price rise no doubt. They couldn't even come up with a new name for the series....anyone remember the late 80's?

http://xhefriguitars.com/Stuff/Fender%20Brochure%201990%20p1.jpg
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    I always find it ironic how the same company (Gibson included), always trying to say "this year is the best one ever", at the same time they have a completely different line of guitar that cost more, from their Custom Shop making guitars that are meant to be the best because they made it the best 60 years ago.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    At £1749 for a Strat you are pretty much into the Custom Shop N.O.S  used price bracket. You could easily pick up a Silver Sky for that too.....
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    So they changed the pickups, and made new colours?

Rolled edges are moot.. got that on my american special..
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Strat54 said:
    At £1749 for a Strat you are pretty much into the Custom Shop N.O.S  used price bracket. You could easily pick up a Silver Sky for that too.....
    Heck, could even have a custom guitar made from one of the fine luthiers that hang out on here... or Gordon Smith, My custom Gordon Smith Graduate was £1700, made in the UK to how I wanted it...
    @KempGuitars ; would do an awesome super-strat for around that (or a little more if you are wanting one of his sexy tops)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    The moment standard strats and teles broke the 1k mark I gave up. 

Kind of defies the vision of a working guitar with swappable components
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom