Tremolo/ palm muting

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
edited November 2019 in Technique
Hi all

You may have seen on my first thread that I am thinking about buying a "cheap" second guitar. I won't go into that again, but while doing my research I have also wondered whether it would be worth my while looking at a telecaster with trem (finance permitting etc).

My reasons for this are:

- I quite fancy a Telecaster of some sort 
- I'd like to have a go at playing rockabilly at some point (I'm not good enough yet)
- I've seen J Mascis demonstrate playing rhythm while holding the trem and he's a favourite of mine 

So what I want to ask is whether this sort of guitar would be compatible with my regular technique of playing rhythm with my hand on the bridge (Look up Cold Blooded Old Times by Smog to hear what I aim for while playing rhythm).

I've not played for years and am just coming back to it, however I used to think I had problems with trems and had the one on my Jagstang removed as I knocked it out of tune all the time. 

I also have a Les Paul and of course you could say use that for one technique and the Tele for developing other styles. That said, I'd like to see what people think.

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I wonder whether I should have put this under "technique"... sorry!
  • I wonder whether I should have put this under "technique"... sorry!
    If you see the little black cog if you hover over your original post you can move the section. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Eric - I am new here. The radio forum I am a member of has moderators who shift things pretty quickly (even if you don't know why there were in the wrong place!)..

It's now moved...
  • I don't have a guitar with a working trem but have been thinking of getting one ( or getting the trem on my strat back up at least) and wonder to what extent it will interfere with my playing and I can just swing the arm back round for the occasional graceful wobble. 
    So, can't answer your question but am following.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited November 2019
    If anchoring your right hand on a fixed bridge is familiar and comfortable then adapting to a trem (certainly a floating one) is likely to be quite a challenge, to start with anyhow. Unless you are planning to use it regularly it'll be a hindrance.

A telecaster with a trem is very unusual which will limit your choices massively.

If you have in mind one of these ones with a Bigsby - https://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-mij-traditional-60s-telecaster-with-bigsby-electric-guitar-candy-blue?gclid=Cj0KCQiAno_uBRC1ARIsAB496IXxRm-cQkzyDPvgM_GgSSvIY1ylyTwy8KZSSpSuGxxlYNZL8SSnopYaAv0KEALw_wcB - then resting  on the bridge won't be a problem.

I tend to use a fixed bridge but I do like a trem and have a guitar with a Floyd Rose. I find playing normally whilst maintaining a loose grip on the bar both very tricky and hugely limiting. I very rarely feel the need to do it.

I reckon you would be best off sticking with a conventional Tele.

• sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited November 2019
    Just to add that my experience with a Bigsby equipped guitar is limited to having played rather than owned one. I definitely couldn't keep a handle on the bar and play at the same time with one. I don't think that's even possible but could be wrong.
  • I'd have thought that strumming and tremming would probably need something other than a Bigsby, wouldn't it? Given that Mascis has a Jazzmaster named after him, I'm assuming that's the kind of trem he's using. What comes to mind immediately is early Adrian Belew - something like Thela Hun Gingeet or Sheltering Sky with King Crimson, or his early solo stuff/The Bears. That was on strats with traditional tremolos. I just gave it a ropey shot with both kinds and it's possible, but you kind of need to have the bar loose in your hand - hardly touching it, let alone holding it. The JM trem is much higher off the strings. Don't know how you'd combine it with palm muting. 

(When I'm playing a trem guitar I tend to hold the bar in my hand all the time, but I play with my fingers, so it's not such a problem.)
  • All good feedback and some correct observations.

I think I am trying to cover too much with one guitar. I want a telecaster and a tremolo, but the two won't work together as I'd like. And I think as I'm trying to develop a new style for myself I need to continue looking and thinking - that costs nothing :)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    ... I think I am trying to cover too much with one guitar ...
    Yes. One step at a time. It also justifies having two (more) guitars.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom