Best capo for C-shape neck

What's Hot
So my Avalon neck is a bit fuller/curved / more of a "C shape" - my Shubb capo seems to fir the Larrivee neck better. Any recommendations for a capo to fit a fuller neck shape?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    The G7 should do it, because the back of the capo is not neck-shaped.

If you want the best capo available on the market, go for an Elliot.
  • I use a Kyser for a large V style neck, but use and prefer Shubbs for all my other guitars.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I've got both a Kyser and G7th Performance - and both work fine on  a custom Avalon with wider 46mm nut width and normal Avalon C profile, so they should be fine on yours
    I've found that the best capo full stop is the Elliott Elite
    Agreed.
  • Thanks all - notes taken so will check these out. 
    Elliot is so expensive - can't say I'll be getting that...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I find a Kyser works perfectly on everything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    I find them too aggressive and apt to put the guitar out of tune.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Brize said:
    ICBM said:
    I find them too aggressive and apt to put the guitar out of tune.
    I never have any tuning problems at all with them - literally put the capo on, and the guitar is still in tune.

You need to fit it exactly along the back edge of the fret crown, so it can't pull the strings down into the space between the frets. It sounds tricky but it's actually easy once you get used to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I never have any tuning problems at all with them - literally put the capo on, and the guitar is still in tune.

You need to fit it exactly along the back edge of the fret crown, so it can't pull the strings down into the space between the frets. It sounds tricky but it's actually easy once you get used to it.
    I think I'd find that far too close to my fretting hand, especially given the size of the Kyser capos. I generally look to place the capo a few mm behind the fret.
  • The Shubb F1 looks similar to the Elliot? 

G7/Jyser sound like a good bet, thanks!!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited November 2019
    Got G7 performance 2 but having troubles. G and b strings not sounding out.....  Man, the shubb screw-type is so much better..

I'm now also aware of a slight buzz on my acoustic's G string (seems to be coming from the bridge??). Argh  I give up!! Time to learn keyboard!!

Decided to return this to Amazon and stick to the shubb types. I'll check back through this thread to see if there's similar with a more rounded back to them.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I don't use a capo much, but I tried out my G7 Performance 2 again on my Avalon - with 46mm nut width and normal Avalon C neck. It worked fine - but you have to place it just behind the fret and you do need to give it a little extra squeeze into place to exert appropriate pressure.

I see that the Performance 2 was discontinued in January and replaced by the slightly more expensive Performance 3, which reportedly seems to be suitable for a wider range of necks (including nylon-strung hybrids)
    GTC said:
    you do need to give it a little extra squeeze into place to exert appropriate pressure.
    This. The G7 is a clever design, but when you think you've got it suitably clamped it place, you need to just give it an extra squeeze, as you say.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I've tried loads of capos and for me the most reliable in terms of string buzz and tuning is the Jim Dunlop Victor capo. There's a flat and a curve version depending on your neck type. Not as well known as the G7 etc, but worked much better on my guitars. 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited November 2019
    I squeezed hard not no luck. Screw types you can easily add way more pressure. 

Thought about version 3 bit decided against as read was heavier.

Must say I'm really disappointed given the reviews on it. 

S3 or S3VN look ok: http://www.shubb.com/store/capos/3.html
    (EDIT: ordered the S3Vn)

What's annoying now is this buzzing coming from the bridge..
  • So the S3V is exactly what I was looking for. Fits a thicker neck perfectly!