Solid wood dreadnoughts with Cedar tops and wide nuts?

What's Hot
I'm looking for a beast like this with a 1.8" or more nut width to suit my fat-digit finger style guitar playing. I've got the Seagull Artist Modaic Deluxe as a possible candidate but wondered of there are any acoustic gurus on here who might be able to point me in the direction of some other models?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm pretty sure the takamine ean20 has a good sized neck and a lovely cedar top I had one for  over 10 years,... I do miss it 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Almost any Taylor can be special ordered with a 1 7/8” nut - if you find a model that has the wood recipe you like you can try that. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks folks. That takamine looks gorgeous @Strangefan. I have been looking at Furch as well.
  • Can't beat either, ceder my favourate top wood, very easily dented tho :(
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Can't beat either, ceder my favourate top wood, very easily dented tho :(
    I know what you mean. I've got a Walden Supernatura with a cedar top. Lovely instrument and I found out early how soft the cedar is. It would be the perfect guitar however if the nut width wasn't so thin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsql said:
    I'm looking for a beast like this with a 1.8" or more nut width to suit my fat-digit finger style guitar playing. I've got the Seagull Artist Modaic Deluxe as a possible candidate but wondered of there are any acoustic gurus on here who might be able to point me in the direction of some other models?
    I found these on Thomann. 
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/dreadnought_guitars.html?price-first=0&oa=pra&filter=true&feature-45666%5B%5D=Cedar%2C%20Solid&feature-50591-first=45.7&feature-50591-last=48

I came across this particular model that has a even wider nut
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/baton_rouge_ar11c_d_w.htm
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    I think that the Seagull stable will be your best bet, the one you said or the S6. I had an S6 all-mahogany, which sounded beautiful, and had the 1.8" nut. Gorgeous sound, but a pain to my hands. They also seem to be less dear than the Artist Mosaic.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    edited November 2019
    Avalon could make you a top-level one

I have an Avalon baritone 1.875 inch one, plays exceptionally well D-D 

For a lower budget, there are some very good Larrivee 1.875 inch ones, the SD50 and SD60 sound very good for factory-made guitars, but no cedar tops
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Blueridge (Historic series) are excellent guitars with 1.875" nut. However the tops are all spruce.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Might be worth looking at Furch? I think their standard nut width is more or less bang on your minimum (possibly a thou or so under) but they do a good range of options with cedar tops.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Snags said:
    Might be worth looking at Furch? I think their standard nut width is more or less bang on your minimum (possibly a thou or so under) but they do a good range of options with cedar tops.
    45mm I think
    I prefer 46mm for a normal guitar,

then  I like 1 7/8 inches (47.6mm)  for playing more classical stuff or open tunings where I'll be fretting high on some strings, but whacking lots of open strings. e.g "The Rain Song" tuning

• 19831983 Frets: 21
    i have an alvarez D70 elite masterbuilt that has a wide fingerboard and spruce top. Worth checking out if you can find one
  • Fylde Orsino has 45mm and western red cedar top. Sounds great with fingers or pick.