Composition Challenge #27 - Chat

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Fretwired said:
    One week to go.

I'll have my entry finished this weekend.
    Just a couple more days to go.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    One week to go.

I'll have my entry finished this weekend.
    Just a couple more days to go.
    I just need to mix it ... you know me .. 11th hour ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Entry closes tonight
    It's not a competition.
    And entered .. not quite 3 minutes to midnight .. cue Iron Maiden ... :-)

• Fretwired said:
    And entered .. not quite 3 minutes to midnight .. cue Iron Maiden ... :-)

Got it. I'll add it to the playlist tomorrow and start the voting thread soon after.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed
    It's not a competition.
  • Fretwired said:
    And entered .. 

Added to playlist. That makes 3 entries before the entry was closed.

It's not a competition.
    edited November 2019

The mess that is the setup for this challenge.

Basically this is a stereo setup. There's an old Line 6 POD HD Pro with a patch that has two Fender Deluxe reverb amps on separate paths which is then connected to the Line 6 mixer and the POD's FX loop. The DAW is Steinberg's Cubase Pro 10.

The Ditto looper, Wampler compressor and Strymon Riverside overdrive go into the front of the amps while the Mobius, Timeline, Flashback Triple Delay and Neunaber reverb go into the FX loop. I have a Line 6 Floor Board and the volume pedal is also routed into the fx loop before the effects. This means the volume pedal only works on the delays and reverb.

The guitar used was a Yamaha Pacifica Mike Stern signature on the neck pickup.

Track one is a drone in E that acts as a bed. I just recorded a short loop into the Ditto whilst I plucked the low E string. I used the volume pedal to cut off the attack and then played it back with a short tube delay and a touch of reverb. I then used the standard EQ in the Cubase mixer - a high shelf cut removed any upper mid frequencies and a low shelf boost gave it body.

Track two was a pad using the Flashback Triple Delay. The pedal has three delays which I set to parallel - delay one is a ping pong delay to get some width, repeats at 2 O'clock and mix quite high. Delay 2 is a short tube delay, mix at 50%. Delay number 3 is a tape delay with time set to the max (roughly 7 seconds) - subdivisions are set to quarter plus dotted eighth which creates movement and the three delays are in parallel - this means they act like three separate delays. This creates a pad-like sound. The Neunaber Immerse is set to the wet setting - with everything set to 2 O'Clock and is what glues it all together.

I recorded a blank 20-second loop into the Ditto looper and then recorded a short phrase from the E aeolian scale. I let it regenerate and then recorded another phrase over the top.

Track three was just a few chords that ran through the Mobius for some wide chorus and the Timeline for a short digital delay and then out the reverb. This created a texture that I stuck low in the mix.

Track four was the lead - a one-take which when through the compressor, the Riverside with the distortion set high, a short Timeline digital delay and a touch of reverb. The volume pedal was used.

That's about it.

You don't need lots of expensive gear. The key to an evolving pad is a delay pedal with the ability to have a 5+ second delay and a reverb. I used to do this sort of thing years ago with a few Boss pedals.

Guys I have learned from include Monochrome Seasons (Antoine Michaud):

Mikhail Medvedev (great guitarist and innovator):

Chords of Orion (Bill Vencil) - ambient guitar swells tutorial

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fretwired . Thanks for posting that. Very interesting and educational. A whole new skillset (that I don't have).

It's not a competition.
    @Fretwired . Thanks for posting that. Very interesting and educational. A whole new skillset (that I don't have).

Thanks. It looks complicated as its the basis of a live rig I'm going to use.

If you just record at home it's pretty simple to achieve in any DAW with a delay plugin and reverb. You can also use an autoswell plugin if you don't have a volume pedal.