Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sofa acoustic?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
I'm going to be selling a couple of guitars to save space (moving house) and want to spend some of it on a sofa-acoustic - something that I can
a) Use sat lounged on the sofa that doesn't have a huge lower bout
b) something that can live out on a stand without fear of long term issues from not being cased/humidified 
c) something that doesn't sound awful and plinky like some small-bodied/parlour guitars can 

any thoughts?
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    TimmyO said:
    I'm going to be selling a couple of guitars to save space (moving house) and want to spend some of it on a sofa-acoustic - something that I can
    b) something that can live out on a stand without fear of long term issues from not being cased/humidified 
    c) something that doesn't sound awful and plinky like some small-bodied/parlour guitars can 

any thoughts?
    what's your budget, and which bigger guitars and woods do you like?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Price?

I really liked the Martin Black Smoke series, tried a few in Guitar Village and they were all beautifully sweet little instruments. You can pick them up for around a grand used now.

Gretsch Jim Dandy at the other end?

In between Guild, Faith and Eastman all do some lovely small body guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My HD28 *is* my sofa acoustic...!

I'd be looking at Atkin for something smaller (00 or 000 size most likely), but that depends heavily on having the budget!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    TimmyO said:

any thoughts?
    what's your budget, and which bigger guitars and woods do you like?
    I don't mind spending low, I don't mind used, and I think up to 1k max is probably plenty (file under: shouldn't be spending money but want to, heh) 

Woods - I've never been a "it must be this" type but more recently have veered more toward spruce/rosewood (rather than spruce/mahogany) but in the past I know I have enjoyed Cedar tops too, particularly for quieter/gentler playing which might suit the 'sofa' brief now I think about it. 

Thanks for prompting those thoughts. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Fuengi said:
    Price?

I really liked the Martin Black Smoke series, tried a few in Guitar Village and they were all beautifully sweet little instruments. You can pick them up for around a grand used now.

Gretsch Jim Dandy at the other end?

In between Guild, Faith and Eastman all do some lovely small body guitars. 
    thanks 
    Red ones are better. 
    My HD28 *is* my sofa acoustic...!

I'd be looking at Atkin for something smaller (00 or 000 size most likely), but that depends heavily on having the budget!
    oh man my D28A would be (it's just so good for everything) but it's an armful and I don't like to leave it out (which I want this one to be able to be) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    My HD28 *is* my sofa acoustic...!

oh man my D28A would be (it's just so good for everything) but it's an armful and I don't like to leave it out (which I want this one to be able to be) 
    ditto I have the Baranik OM but again, not getting left out with children about! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Those little Gretsch roots guitars, step up from Jim Ds are bloody good. They do a 00 and 000
    All Koa Oscar Schmidt 0 size?  I have one for sale. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    If you aren't getting hung up on brand names, you could do a lot worse than taking a look at a Cort L900P.
    They sound great, are very affordable & great 'bang for your buck'. 
  • Martin 15 series or Sigma plenty of choice with these for little outlay.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    This is a recent discovery for me, as hadn't played many of this model in the past, despite being a confirmed Gibson acoustic fan. The J-185. A very comfortable guitar on the couch due to the narrow waist and positioning. Obviously the lower bout is still large, but it does not seem to come into play in terms of comfort, and you still have decent bass/power. It is a great all rounder as well, fingers, strumming, the lot. Might not be easy to get dead cheap, but well worth trying if you have never played one. I recently acquired an early 90's model, has the long scale, just a great guitar.

This does not help with the leaving it out, humidification point, but thought I would tell you anyway.  =)
  • Brook Torridge, not the cheapest option but it’s a guitar for life, if you’re passing thro Devon on the M5 bring the biscuits and try mine .
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    I have a L'arivee parlour for exactly the same duties. Punches above it's weight soundwise and is generally impervious to fluctuations in temperature and humidity. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I've got an Eastman E20P parlour guitar, a real sweet sounding little thing.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Faith, Sigma or Eastman.
    Budget for a proper setup, bone nut and saddle- it will transform the instrument.
  • A couple of years ago, I was looking for pretty much the same thing - a small-bodied acoustic for sofa use - so maybe my experience will be of interest. I tried quite a few models from several brands, a number of those mentioned above in fact. I soon decided that a parlour suited my need best, not only from a comfort point of view, but also by being different enough from my other acoustics to justify a purchase.

Unfortunately, many parlours that I tried were rather lifeless sounding, too boxy and constrained. I then paid a visit to Auden Guitars in Higham Ferrers whilst visiting friends in Northamptonshire. They do a few small acoustics, two of which can be regarded as parlour models. I found the Emily Rose (12-fret, slotted headstock) a bit too short, although it sounded excellent. Next, I tried the Marlow 14-fret (solid headstock) and I was smitten. I was lucky enough to try all the different wood combinations they had in stock and eventually settled on a spruce/rosewood model. The thing that, for me at least, set both parlour models from Auden above the other parlour acoustics I tried, is the bigger sound they deliver due to a slightly deeper than usual body. It's not enough to make the guitar feel big, but sufficiently deep to produce a sound that belies the guitar's dimensions. The Marlow sounds not unlike an OM/OOO in some situations. I own three other acoustics, two of which are considerably more expensive than the Marlow, but it's the one I reach for most. In fact, it's one of my most played guitars (including too many electrics) because it's so damn comfortable.

Now the slight fly in the ointment. I understand that Auden are currently not making the Marlow (it's being temporarily 'rested' from their model line-up, according to Doug Sparkes - the owner of Auden Guitars), so it's not technically discontinued. I guess Auden may have some old stock left (which they do tend to sell at a discount), or you could look for a secondhand one. Or maybe the Emily Rose would suit you more than it suited me. Either way, with the exception of a Martin CEO7, the Auden was some way better than pretty much everything else I tried.

Hope this is useful.

Rich
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers folks 
    Red ones are better. 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Taylor GS Mini .. ideal couch guitar
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Anchorboy said:
    Taylor GS Mini .. ideal couch guitar
    They sound like ass 
    (IMHO)
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom