Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2019
    It was fine for me - that’s Ronnie. I’d rather that than Jeff Beck playing Nessum Dorma 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2238
    I liked it too. It sounded "live" and not "over-produced"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad I couldn't get tkts for the shepherds bush show after that. Very flat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    edited November 2019
    Wasn’t too bad apart from the choruses. He needed to keep playing through the ‘ Go Johnny Go’. He just stopped there and only did the high double stops - maybe an issue with singing and playing, but it sounded terrible. 

The whole thing is kind of a waste of air time though. 

Edit - watched it again and made it through to the end, last chorus was better as there was ‘something’ happening under the vocal. The timing throughout was poor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14163
    tFB Trader
    Not seen the clip yet but my thoughts are a custom spec'd Harley Benton
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited November 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    I always associate the L5S with the late Kevin Peek of Sky.  My brother had their first two albums, we were really into them for a little while.
    I wa massively into sky in the early days with Francis monkman. Shit drummer though  Kevin Peek didn’t end up well unfortunately. I used to drool over their guitars used 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Bebopper said:
    Wow... sounded like he was struggling.
    I used to like his 'anarchic' timing - back in the days of the Faces... but that, for me, that version of Johnny B G was a step too far from living on the edge.
    I thought it was absolutely brilliant... the very definition of what rock’n’roll guitar is meant to be. Full of excitement and energy - most players a third of his age wouldn’t put that much life into it. I admit to not always thinking he’s that great in the past, but that’s one of the best things I’ve seen on Later.

The guitar is also really high in the mix - you could barely hear most of the other instruments - which makes the raggedness more obvious.

And yes, I do think we’re all watching the same performance ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I liked it ;)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5623
    If you saw that in a pub you wouldn't think it was all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hard audience. For one the guy is 72 and by all rights shouldn't still be breathing by now, let alone playing live, and plenty of other iconic players also show the effects of time passing by the time they are Wood's age. (For example, from what I have seen Bill Nelson can no longer get anywhere near the solo on 'Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape'.)

For my money he was great in the Faces and was a solid journeyman in the Stones, getting the job done, serving the music and not his own ego and often carrying Richards, and if he often wasn't given much credit for his work with the Stones, that might well have had a lot to with with Richard's ego leading him to delete Wood's recorded guitar parts in favour of his own! 

"I had no bargaining power 'cause Mick was helping me on a song called "I Can Feel the Fire" and he said, 'I tell you what – you keep "I Can Feel the Fire" and I'll keep "It's Only Rock '* Roll"'." The deal got even worse when Keith Richards became involved. "Keith wiped all my guitars off! It's David Bowie and me on backing vocals on the original track and [Faces drummer] Kenney Jones on drums. Keith said [Wood mimics a posh accent], 'I've taken the precaution of wiping all your guitars off'! But I listened to it and said, 'ah but you did leave my 12-string on there'... 'Oh dammit!' [he said]"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I just watched that.

What a bunch of whining, whingeing old farts you lot are. NOTHING wrong with that performance at all. There's nothing worse than pious musicians criticising another's playing or musicianship, IMHO.

Leave him alone.

BTW - cool guitar. And yes, it makes me think of Kevin Peake too
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    I loved it too...Just raggedy cool guitar probably a nano second from disaster  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like that Gibson. If I think of Ron I always imagine him with one of Zematis.

The great thing about art in general is that one person can only see or hear  flaws and another can feel something intangible.

Ronnie has got it in bucket loads. 

• Wow I couldn't watch that, bloody awful, I wish they would just stop it

Get some young talent on please, they need the exposure 
    That band toward the end all looked about 15. 

I quite like a Chuck Berry tune, I like Imelda May ( underused and not at her best unfortunately last night but she can be great) so Ronnie’s performance was fine for me. I think it’s fair to say he was there by virtue of being famous and someone else doing the same thing wouldn’t have got through the door. My son who doesn’t really know who he is but likes Imelda was a bit non plussed by it. 

That’s essentially the paradox with Later, that it tries to sit newer artists alongside more established figures who sometimes have reached the ageing hack period of their careers and it seems to rarely satisfy both audiences. I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14163
    tFB Trader
    Hard audience. For one the guy is 72 and by all rights shouldn't still be breathing by now, let alone playing live, and plenty of other iconic players also show the effects of time passing by the time they are Wood's age. (For example, from what I have seen Bill Nelson can no longer get anywhere near the solo on 'Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape'.)

Hand issues is an issue for so many- I believe EC now has problems - Les Paul himself had lost most of his 'dexterity' as time went by - Yet the likes of Segovia and Stephane Grappelli had almost full dexterity in their 90's

Same with Sports stars - some are still slim + fit and others are 'crippled' from excessive use and training and 'the body on the line' 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    It was fine for me - that’s Ronnie. I’d rather that than Jeff Beck playing Nessum Dorma 
    Amen to that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    Ps. Imelda is looking hawt these days
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Lebarque said:
    Ps. Imelda is looking hawt these days
    What do you mean "these days"?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677
    He didn't drop any clangers. I just said it was clearly right at the edge of his abilities.  If you're 72 fair enough nobody expects you to play Paganini, but Chuck Berry in his late 80s could play it a lot better than that.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom