Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Very entertaining... Ain't that supposed to be the point.
    Bonus points for Imelda May. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    Mick had been on BB’s album Deuces Wild and his album Tribute to Bobby is a pretty good modern blues outing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I'm in the "nothing wrong with that - I liked it" camp.  I much prefer to hear that sort of performance than an over-polished note-perfect regurgitation of the recording.  Is Ronnie Wood the best guitarist (or singer) ever? Probably not. But he's certainly not terrible and I enjoy listening to what he plays (and I certainly couldn't do better anyway).

As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    AlexO said:
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Very entertaining... Ain't that supposed to be the point.
    Bonus points for Imelda May. 
    I think that’s pretty much it nailed. 

Ron is just cool, he and Charlie have always been what’s cool about the Stones for me. Sure, he wouldn’t get any gigs based on his current playing but then no genius whippersnapper could ever come close to his stage persona and that’s why he totally deserves the screen time in my book. 

Even back in The Faces it was ‘The Two Ronnies’ that made them as fabulous and cool
    as they were. Let’s face it, he brings a touch of gold dust wherever he goes. 

I’m also deeply enjoying the irony of anyone performing with Jools and getting ‘isn’t it enough now?’ comments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Ron's poorly served by the mix there. I think he's playing it exactly how it should be played....loose, economical and a bit behind the beat. "Better" players always play it too fast and with too much added bullshit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  •  I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    I try to watch as much as possible because I often come across something I like that I maybe didn't expect to.  But I must admit I do end up skipping past a lot of the hip-hop type stuff (usually anything with "featuring" in the band name is a bad sign) - really not my taste at all, but otherwise it's good to hear different stuff.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited November 2019
    I saw that BB gig on YT and he was fucked, even in his chair.  Kept being quite lewd towards Susan Tadechi while Derek had to kind of eye his way through it, played in the wrong key with Slash iirc and then as you say had Mick Hucknall turn up. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader

As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    Yes I have and I'm still waiting for good guitar bands or even good bands because I hate most of it tbh, not music to me

There are so many good bands just not getting anywhere 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Bebopper said:
    Wow... sounded like he was struggling.
    I used to like his 'anarchic' timing - back in the days of the Faces... but that, for me, that version of Johnny B G was a step too far from living on the edge.
    I thought it was absolutely brilliant... the very definition of what rock’n’roll guitar is meant to be. Full of excitement and energy - most players a third of his age wouldn’t put that much life into it. I admit to not always thinking he’s that great in the past, but that’s one of the best things I’ve seen on Later.

The guitar is also really high in the mix - you could barely hear most of the other instruments - which makes the raggedness more obvious.

And yes, I do think we’re all watching the same performance ;).
    Glad you posted this, I was just assuming all the comments were right and thought "that's a shame" without wanting to watch it but I did after your comment and it's totally fine.

It's a mainstream show on one of the main BBC channels, most people wouldn't want to tune in to see nobodies performing technically proficient guitar parts.

I'd take more ageing rockers with guitars over the pop starletts and rappers with DJs that they sometimes have on to seem young. Not that I don't like rap, I just don't watch Jools Holland to see someone with a backing track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

• As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    Yes I have and I'm still waiting for good guitar bands or even good bands because I hate most of it tbh, not music to me

Not many young guitar bands this series, you're right.  I actually really enjoyed Amyl and the Sniffers the other week (another performance that sounded "real"), and I do like some of the quieter stuff, but I agree that more guitar/rock bands would be nice (for my tastes anyway).
  • I think Later is pretty good - I want to see a whole variety of artists from all genres. It’s a great way to pick up on something new....just this series Celeste was fantastic. I remember being blown away by The Alabama Shakes’ Brittany Howard a few years ago.  It’s great to see old favorites as long as they’re doing something new and interesting (Weller, EATB and Magazine spring to mind). 

Heritage artists (sorry I couldn’t think of a better term) are fine as long as they still have a spark and/or something to say.  Sadly.....and I’m a fan of his from The Birds to The Faces to The Stones.....Ronnie has neither these days. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Philly_Q said:
    I always associate the L5S with the late Kevin Peek of Sky.
    Back in the Eighties, Paul Simon had a phase of L5-S.

hotpickups said:
    I was massively into Sky in the early days with Francis Monkman. Shit drummer though  
    Monkman is classically trained in composition and is a skilful multi-instrumentalist. Unfortunately, none of his work to which I have ever listened swings. (Ironically, that might be precisely why he was recruited into Sky.) 
    Be seeing you.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I prefer Wood's raw style to a certain Mr Bonamassa .. there's an authenticity about it.

I hope the guy keeps rockin' till he drops ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    soma1975 said:
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 

But she was 'edgy', therefore meaning she's cool right? Isn't that how it works? :0)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Most of the acts this series are young/unsigned - might not be to your taste (Lord knows they aren't to mine) but it is quite different format and line-up now.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Rough as a bear's arse.

Bloody loved it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    It was his night to use the wig.  A day later it could've been Johnny Marr.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited November 2019
    Great painter, likeable bloke - but hasn’t ever been a wonderful guitar player.
    Whoaaaaaa.....a bit harsh?.........may I point my learned colleague to "A Nod's as Good as a Wink"........stellar slide and chops.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    TINMAN82 said:
    There was a timing issue in the intro riff and overall it was played with a “stonesy” looseness but I enjoyed it. Frankly I wish I could play like he does at 72 (after a lifetime of booze and fags)  and I’m half his age. 
    And crystal meth

He's not really a singer but the guitar playing wasn't bad. It's quite physically demanding to sing while maintaining downpicking at that speed, I think that's where the funny faces are coming from