New Supro opinions...

What's Hot
I picked up a Supro Coronado on eBay last year for an absolute bargain. I love it. Has anyone else tried or own one of the new reissues and what are your opinions? 

I love the cleans and tremolo and think its possibly the coolest looking amp ever.

what are your opinions and what pedals/effects, if any, do you find suit it? 

My Lovepedal Kalamazoo and Fulldrive 2 love it but all my Catalinbread pedals didn't seem to...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitarist magazine just named one as Combo of the Year.
  • Yeah I noticed that! They've given great reviews to a good few of the new reissue models since their release. It's the 'Black Magik' that is in the Gear of the Year edition. It's modelled on a famous Supro amp that Jimmy Page used on a lot of early Zep stuff. (The solo on Stairway apparently) 

i just love mine and was wondering if anyone could else had an opinion on them. Or any experience of any of the original 50/60s amps!
  • I've not tried them, but a drummer friend said his old band used a new supro and when it broke the amp tech said it was built more like a £400 amp than a £1000 amp inside.

But I don't have any real evidence of this, so take it as you will.  Perhaps an amp tech on here has some experience with them. 
  • Yeah... they are overpriced... American labour probably accounts for a big whack of the price tag. They're not claiming to be hand-wired or 'boutique' either 
  • ChéChé Frets: 303
    They're very heavy and don't sound anything special to the point where you'd pick one over a Deluxe Reverb or AC15. They sounded very plain and flat to me and given the price I was expecting a heck of a lot more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TCatTCat Frets: 26
    Am I right in thinking that the valve bases that get very hot, are mounted direct onto the PCB??,,,,causing thermal strain and stress?    Hope I'm wrong, but If that is the case I would argue that is a sign of cost cutting and a potential no no  !  I'm not a great fan of PCBs anyway, because they are usually un-economic to repair, so if you're selling quality, at least mount valve bases onto the steel chassis.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    edited November 2019
    I’ve got a Supro Thunderbolt plus and love it. The speaker has been upgraded to a Celestion Fullback 15”. It’s taken me a long time to realise that what I needed was an amp that stays clean at band volumes. It delivers that in spades

What I really like is you can switch the wattage 60/45/35 and flip between a class a or class a/b circuit, and between solid state /valve rectifier. To me that’s quite a unique set of features. It takes pedals really well. It’s super dynamic to play. It has an angled baffle too.

It’s eaten some very more expensive nice amps for breakfast. Such as a Two Rock jet.

I personally couldn’t give a toss how it’s built. It sounds fricking awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one of the 1605r amps, a unique set of features I've not seen anywhere else but a very expensive amp for something that essential is the size of a lunchbox. But then again nobody else has the same for so I suppose they justified it that way
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I posted this three years ago! But my Coronado is still my main amp. I love it. I got a Dr. Z Brakelite that i mounted inside the cab and it is a massive plus. Turn that up and I can get the amp dirty really easy at great volume levels that sounds great with a fuzz or treble booster, or turn it off completely for loads of headroom that works great with amp in a box or regular OD pedals.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I have the Blues King and, for the money, I think its amazingly good.  Very loud but is has a master volume, and enough switches and controls to get some very 50/60s sounds.  Cannot comment on reliability as it hasn't broken.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Bought a Blues King 8 for practice last week. It's 1 watt tone monster. It's got master vol and 8 inch speaker. It nails that 50s Chicago vibe (I think).

• slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    edited May 2021
    Has anyone tried the 1605R? just saw this has been re-released as the 64 Reverb with a Jensen C8R instead of that vintage design jobby they laser scanned or whatever. The price looks eye-watering but it ticks a lot of boxes for me... high pre-amp gain, master volume, on-board tube reverb, DI out, looks great too. The ability to use the spring reverb tank as an insert is great too, I was looking at getting a Grampian 636 clone for the studio anyway but maybe this would get in that ballpark.