Martin CEO-7 Vs 00-17S

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
Anyone able to offer any thoughts on the relative merits of these 2 guitars? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    I haven't played either but there's quite a difference between a 'modified V' and 'modified low oval' neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I like the 17 series guitars. Messed around on the 000-17s at the weekend. It’s light and very responsive. Tight punchy bass  Great for picking, not so keen on open pore and satin finish at that price. It’s bound to ding up really quickly affecting resale. 
    This could well be zero help as it addresses neither of the above....
  • I agree with Andy. I’ve played both but was in the summer so can’t remember exact characteristic differences. The 00-17s is a very nice guitar, but the finish put me off, just not keen on the satin & open grain finish. The CEO is an absolute beaut and the gloss finish is so lush. I personally prefer the 00-28, but the CEO-7 for sale in the classifieds keeps tempting me like anything!! 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    I own a 0017s, a friend used to own a ceo-7

I didn't get on with the V neck of the ceo-7, but, it sounded a slightly classier guitar in my opinion. The neck on the 00 I find very comfortable, but, neck shapes are very much personal preference.

Not that the that 0017s sounds bad, but, it has slightly more of that small bodied guitar character, which is what I was looking for. It still rings and while it shines when finger picked, it's more versatile than that and whilst it's no dreadnought, even enthusiastic strumming isn't beyond it. It has a drier sound than I remember of the ceo-7.

The finish does mark up if banged, but, I guess this thin finish contributes, along with the light build, to the open nature of its sound. Mines showing a few marks, but, I play mine at acoustic nights in the pub where we're all huddled round a couple tables and instruments do take a bit of a beating in that scenario.

One other thing about the finish, it's slightly noisier in handling than a gloss finish. You really hear hands, clothing etc moving over the almost bare wood.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    This popped up on YouTube this morning, thought it might be of interest...

• As already mentioned, the neck is the most important difference between these guitars and a matter of personal preference. The CEO also has a traditional dovetail neck joint which may or may not matter to you.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Cheers

For me sound, feel, and how it makes me feel, all matter. Whether it's a dovetail or blutac and nails doesn't bother me. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Daddystovepipe is the Man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Daddy Stovepipe is THE Man 
  • if you are looking for a finger picker, the string spacing at saddle on CEO-7 is a bit more generous....