Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pink Floyd - The Later Years (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason)

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
New box set from Floyd due soon. An interesting interview with David Gilmour - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason has been remixed and some of the '80's synths' removed in favour of more traditional Floyd instruments such as Nick Mason's Hammond organ that was left off the original mix. Heard a few tracks and to my ears, they do sound better than the originals.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it a cynical think to repackage, remix, and sell again?  I don't know. Floyd always seem reasonable chaps. They don't come across as greedy like the Rolling Stones and U2 (constantly overcharging for the same old tosh)
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • Really wish you didn't have to buy the whole box set to get the remastered version. No way I can justify the big set, will have to make do with the single CD.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2019
    FastEddie said:
    Is it a cynical think to repackage, remix, and sell again?  I don't know. Floyd always seem reasonable chaps. They don't come across as greedy like the Rolling Stones and U2 (constantly overcharging for the same old tosh)
    I think this might have something to do with it ...

Nick Mason admitted that A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Pink Floyd’s first album without Roger Waters, turned into an “over-egged” affair, but reflected on why it had worked out that way.

Released in 1987, during the aftermath of Waters’s departure and his resulting legal bid to stop the band from continuing under the leadership of David Gilmour, its quality has often been criticized in subsequent years.

“It wasn’t that I didn’t want to carry on – I did – but I don’t think I cared as much as David did,” Mason told Uncut in a new interview. “We’d be partly in the studios and partly in the lawyers’ office – ‘Was Roger going to injunct?’ And the answer was, of course he couldn’t, because he’d left the band, and the one thing clear in all our contractual arrangements was that if someone left, they left, and the band continued without them… That gave David and me the authority to carry on.”

However, he continued, “We sort of laid everything on [the album]…There was a sense of trepidation over what it would be like without Roger, so we slightly over-egged the pudding in terms of lots of session players. Some of it’s overproduced, far too much stuff on it.”

Studio engineer Andy Jackson recalled: “We were trying to make something that sounded very much of the time, which means of course that as time progresses it ends up sounding dated.” He remembered producer Bob Ezrin playing the band a “stack of CDs” to illustrate “what’s happening now,” adding: “In ’86, digital was very much at the forefront. [Dire Straits’] Brothers In Arms had just come out and that had a very particular sound, and that was one bar Bob said we should be aiming for.”

Bassist Guy Pratt, who became part of Pink Floyd’s live lineup for the album tour, reflected: “I thought it didn’t really sound like a Pink Floyd record, but it was a very good record. It’s very of its time – Floyd were suited to ’80s bombast.”

• diapdiap Frets: 135
    It'll take more than a re-mix to make that rank as a good Pink Floyd album. I mean, it's better than anything Boyzone released, but considering the Floyd are one of the greatest bands ever the post Waters stuff just does not stand up to scrutiny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like Dave Gilmour's playing with the full Pink Floyd. 

I just don't own any of it after The Wall.

I think I've got the best end of the deal to be honest. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I really like Dave Gilmour's playing with the full Pink Floyd. 

You should probably get The Final Cut - it’s very underrated and I think contains some of Waters’ best writing, if perhaps not the best of the band working together.

I’m not a big fan of the post-Waters Floyd at all either. I do have Pulse, but I’m not sure I’m very bothered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • diapdiap Frets: 135

Quite probably, though I also like The Final Cut.
    Gilmour is right up there among the great guitar players, but he is no song writer without someone else to guide him, and Polly might be able to write a book but she can't do song lyrics!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    ICBM said:

You should probably get The Final Cut - it’s very underrated and I think contains some of Waters’ best writing, if perhaps not the best of the band working together.

I’m not a big fan of the post-Waters Floyd at all either. I do have Pulse, but I’m not sure I’m very bothered.

I agree. The Final Cut is a fantastic album.
  • ICBM said:

I've not listened to that album since it first came out believe it or not. It was the very last Floyd album I bought. I gave it away shortly after. 

I'll give it another go. Things change. 

Thanks for the pointer. 

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    I always liked Terminal Frost tbh.

• The last time I listened to this album there wasn't any such thing as the internet....

Bloody hell.

• I genuinely like Momentary Lapse Of Reason so would be interested to see what they do with it. Strangely enough I think The Wall is a pile of shite, not a patch on the albums which preceded it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Fretwired said:
    ... such as Nick Mason's Hammond organ ...
    Am I reading that right? Nick Mason?
    edited November 2019
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    No .. Floydian slip on my part. Mr Wright's Hammond organ .. when the band got to LA a lot of what made Floyd sound like Floyd was junked in favour of the 'new sound' with synths, chorus effects and wet delays etc. A lot of what Richard recorded was dumped. David has put it back which I think was part of the driver for the remix.

Remember Wright wasn't officially a full member at this point and the band used a lot of session musicians.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951

I've not listened to that album since it first came out believe it or not. It was the very last Floyd album I bought. I gave it away shortly after. 

I'll give it another go. Things change.
    It’s interesting - only a couple of years after it came out I thought it had started to get dated, with all its very contemporary political references, and I too gave mine away in about 1985. At the time I thought the best songs on it were the last two.

But an odd thing happened... twenty years later I listened to it again and it seemed to have become far more resonant and powerful, and I realised I had misjudged it. And even more strangely, the last two tracks are actually the worst - the album should stop at the end of the title track really.

Gilmour never got it - he said it was largely songs that ‘weren’t good enough for The Wall’... he was wrong, they just didn’t fit on it. He picked The Fletcher Memorial Home as the song to go on Echoes as well - presumably because it has a solo from him - and while it’s a good song, The Gunner’s Dream is probably the best one on the album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Me and my mates listened to the final cut to death...as we did all the albums (post SB of course  :) ) but tbh I'd totally forgot about it!

I too lost interest after that. Gave the later albums a go but just couldn't get into them. Probably good albums in their own right...think my tastes were changing too though maybe. 

Great band. 

Think they're taking the piss a bit with all the box sets and remix stuff though tbh. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2019
    Fretwired said:
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    No .. Floydian slip on my part. Mr Wright's Hammond organ .. when the band got to LA a lot of what made Floyd sound like Floyd was junked in favour of the 'new sound' with synths, chorus effects and wet delays etc. A lot of what Richard recorded was dumped. David has put it back which I think was part of the driver for the remix.

Remember Wright wasn't officially a full member at this point and the band used a lot of session musicians.
    I was very intrigued by the idea of what noises (I use that word advisedly ) Mason would have got out of a Hammond. 

If the new version features more Wright then that would be a very good thing. As Gilmour (I think) said, Wright added hugely to the soul of their music.

I always liked AMLOR, but it does sound much more like Gilmour’s solo albums than PF. I wonder if the new version will sound more like PF?
    Remix of Sorrow ..

Remix of One slip:

• Fretwired said:
    Remix of One slip:

The parping bass and gated drums at 2’50 ish and on the outro still place this squarely in the 80s. Didn’t really work for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom