*update - now with added decision* Analysis paralysis : help me make a decision

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
edited November 2019 in Acoustics
I've sold and am also in the process of selling, a bunch of gear. It's partly about downsizing before I move, although not entirely.

With some of the resulting funds I want to but a small acoustic. 

I went and tried some and found that while many small acoustics do indeed sound like ass as I'd often thought, some sound cool and I'd like one of those ones.

But now I'm stuck overthinking things.

I saw and played a Martin 00-17SE in Whiskey Sunset that I couldn't explain why I liked - it sounded boxy and small, but in a way that I found oddly endearing. And that particular one played like the proverbial butter (like, "I bet it just happens to be set up better than 90% of anything I've ever played") . I also liked that it had a factory-fitted pickup system for any occasional playing out. £1395

I also tried a couple of Martin 00-17 (14 fret) in both finishes and while they sounded more like 'normal guitars' didn't have the character or playability of the 17SE I'd tried No pickup. c. £1100

I was impressed by an Eastman E1-00-SS Ltd - shop offered a good price too c. Great value, good guitar, absent the (much more expensive) 17SE I may have bought it, but liking the 17SE so much more threw me. No pickup. £780. 

Used Martin CEO-7 in the classifieds here. Only tried one briefly before (as was out of budget) but liked it - didn't dwell though but now wish I had to find out more. No pickup. c £1800

Used Martin 00-17S (with added pickup) - seen in the Black Smoke finish on eBay for £995. Would get me what the first guitar above would get me, just in a different finish (the pickup system fitted is the same as comes standard in the 17SE). Can't shake the notion that the 17SE I played was set up beautifully. And I prefer the Whiskey sunset finish. But this is 400 quid less. 

I'm annoying myself now. 

I invite thoughts
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    The 17SE. It’s the only only that you sound enthusiastic about. 

I’ve been down the same road many times; found something that I really liked (bikes, guitars and mandolins) but bought a cheaper second choice because I couldn’t justify the cost. A few months down the line I’ve sold the second choice at a loss and bought my original favourite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Which one does your lady like the most?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Lewy said:
    Which one does your lady like the most?
    she remains perplexed as to why there is more than one kind of guitar in the world. 
    One of the downsides to getting divorced and starting again is you have to break the new ones in on this front. 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    None of them. If the decision is not clear, with one of them jumping out, then none of them are quite right. You can have the pleasure of continuing with your research.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Get Rosy at Turnstone to make you one. :)
    Get Rosy at Turnstone to make you one. :)
    not an option unfortunately 
    Red ones are better. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    drofluf said:
    The 17SE. It’s the only only that you sound enthusiastic about. 

I’ve been down the same road many times; found something that I really liked (bikes, guitars and mandolins) but bought a cheaper second choice because I couldn’t justify the cost. A few months down the line I’ve sold the second choice at a loss and bought my original favourite. 
    If that's the one that says to you 'Take me home' then do it. It's the only way to buy keepers.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Roland said:
    None of them. If the decision is not clear, with one of them jumping out, then none of them are quite right. You can have the pleasure of continuing with your research.
    This.
    Don't spend money for the sake of it- wait until you find something you truly love otherwise you'll be back on the buy/sell merry-go-round.
  • octatonic said:
    Roland said:
    This.
    Don't spend money for the sake of it- wait until you find something you truly love otherwise you'll be back on the buy/sell merry-go-round.
    Absolutely this. If you don’t know what you want, you simply don’t know what you want. Your intuition has already told you how you feel.There is no value whatsoever in making a purchase that isn’t what you want or desire. Wait until what you can’t bare to be without comes along, that’s the one you want to buy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    If you're sure you want a new guitar, buy the first one as drofluf said.

If that still applies but money is an issue I would probably buy the Black Smoke one, but it may never be as good as the one you liked first even if you come to like the finish.

Otherwise, don't buy any of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The fact that you’re asking advice on this indicates you haven’t quite found a guitar for life yet, hang on to the funds & keep looking. When I started my search a few years ago I must have played every instrument available between Bath & Truro, many of them more than once, finally settling on Project’s demo 000-28ec.
    However, times change & so did the wrinkley fingers, followed by exactly the same saga, ending with a couple of visits to Brook. The tone of the Martin is still an absolute stunner but the Brook is improving with age & would be the first out of a burning building. 
    If you ever get close to Devon you’re more than welcome to try both in your quest for the Holy Grail, as I’m sure there might be forum members closer to you that would do the same for a biscuit donation. 
    Don’t be too hasty to part with your funds.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    When did this turn into finding a lifer. I thought we were finding a sofa noodler 
    I played a Tanglewood Java Cedar 12 fret same day as the 17 series Martin and preferred the Twood. Worth a try out for sure. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited November 2019
    Andy79 said:
    When did this turn into finding a lifer. I thought we were finding a sofa noodler 

Agree, I'm a a tad befuddled

Get the 17SE Whiskey Sunset, very KebMo. And as GAS is a fickle mistress it would have better resale value than any of the non-Martins (and looks better that the Black Smoke - which as we all know is the basis of all tone ;) )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019
    I've never said lifer - not what this is about 
    Red ones are better. 
    My frustration is in part being 90 munutes from anywhere with more than one thing to try in one place :-( 
    Red ones are better. 
    Is not World Guitars close ? ;)

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    it wouldn't take long to play both of their in-stock acoustics 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Jalapeno said:
    actually I tell a lie - their website provides no evidence of nay current acoustic stock (I think they only do PRS ones when they do) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Intersound is an hour but famously you never know what they have in stock - can be lots of nice stuff, can be a bit disappointing 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Jalapeno said:
    actually I tell a lie - their website provides no evidence of nay current acoustic stock (I think they only do PRS ones when they do) 
    My funny-ship earlier .......

Feedback