Tried some high-end. Preferred the cheapies...Again

What's Hot
Had a little tour of Bath and Bristol over the last few days. I was keen to try out the Gibson G-45. What a load of junk. 
I played lots of guitars. For anyone with interest;

HD-28VS. Jesus that’s a large guitar. Sounds like an exploding piano. Uncontrollable bass but phenomenal 

A miriad of Martin OMs and 000s. The road series and similar weigh a ton and don’t do much for me. Best of bunch by a mile was the 000-17. Really nice but you’re not getting my £1600 without putting some finish on there

Gibson G-45. A lot like the old WM-45 but just looks and feels like it was taken off the production line too soon. Especially the studio. Wow what a sparse thing and tonally nothing great 

Tanglewood Java things, not seen those before  they have gorgeous ebony BS and sound great. Especially the Cedar top 12 fretter. Very nice 
If I wanted to spend just less than £500 my money would likely go here. 

Vintage stole the show. (I have slated the v300 before. I take it back).
Paul Brett signature 000 shape. Light as half a feather (I’m big on weight. If it’s super light I generally don’t care what the wood is) all lam mahogany
NINETY NINE POUNDS!!!!  And you get strings with it... Had to check with the guy that it was new or used. (For me) it’s was in the same playing field as the Black smoke. Same finish too. 
I’m waiting for Black Friday, see if I can get it for £75. I’m so tight. 

I prove to myself on every trip, I have VERY cheap taste. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There’s a Vintage in the classifieds @£50.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Too far away, 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Andy79 said:
    Had a little tour of Bath and Bristol over the last few days. I was keen to try out the Gibson G-45. What a load of junk. 

HD-28VS. Jesus that’s a large guitar. Sounds like an exploding piano. Uncontrollable bass but phenomenal 

A miriad of Martin OMs and 000s. The road series and similar weigh a ton and don’t do much for me. Best of bunch by a mile was the 000-17. Really nice but you’re not getting my £1600 without putting some finish on there

Gibson G-45. A lot like the old WM-45 but just looks and feels like it was taken off the production line too soon. Especially the studio. Wow what a sparse thing and tonally nothing great 

Tanglewood Java things, not seen those before  they have gorgeous ebony BS and sound great. Especially the Cedar top 12 fretter. Very nice 

Paul Brett signature 000 shape. Light as half a feather (I’m big on weight. If it’s super light I generally don’t care what the wood is) all lam mahogany
    NINETY NINE POUNDS!!!!  And you get strings with it... Had to check with the guy that it was new or used. (For me) it’s was in the same playing field as the Black smoke. Same finish too. 

Seems to me you were actually listening to the instrument, not the marketing hype. Good for you.
    For a while Tanglewood have been pushing the boundaries of affordable, but well made guitars using some lovely woods.

I have a Vintage v300 MH that I got for a song when they first were issued years ago.
    My luthier set it up for me & commented that he'd dressed the frets 'Martin' style, as it just seemed right to.
    Having played it back to back with a real Martin 00-15M, I honestly was surprised. My mate that owned the Martin, huffed & puffed for quite a while, but later admitted that he was very impressed by the £75 Vintage 'cheapo'.

I'd say you 
    have VERY good taste  ;)  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019
    Thanks man. The standard of Far East builders has gone up and up in the last years. I’ve had and got a few and the weight of them has always bothered me. Just too over built. The Vintage has the quality and has shed the weight

Paul Brett’s involvements have been a real plus. He’s a great bloke and really knows his (Blues)  guitar history. He helped me out when I was very green to the blues 

Hes a worthy contender for signature guy of the day 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    I once had a Lowden O10 worth about £1500 and a Hondo Everly Brothers copy worth £100 on a good day... I preferred the Hondo. Really.

I know it wasn't as good a guitar by any sensible definition, but it just sounded better for how I play and the sounds I like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    "I know it wasn't as good a guitar by any sensible definition, but it just sounded better for how I play and the sounds I like."
    This should be stickied at the top of the whole forum as a reminder that all opinions are subjective and valid.

Have a wisdom, like you need one   :)  ;)
  • I had a Brett 12 string for a while- it was awesome. 

I went looking for a small acoustic a few years ago. Budget £600. I tried everything locally in my budget, the favourite? Faith Naked Mercury or a £150 Gretsch Jim Dandy. 
    I found a Faith in Gumtree for a silly price, but that Jim Dandy STILL lingers in my mind. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    There’s a Vintage in the classifieds @£50.
    Yes its mine.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    My Asian Avalon cost me 400 quid I think. It consistently impresses more than much more expensive instruments.
    In the last week I've played two signature guitars...

One, a PRS Private Stock Martin Simpson
    The other, a Vintage Paul Brett parlour

One is probably about £10K. The other is £400.

Guess which I prefer? Not a small difference either, one is a nice guitar and the other I couldn't wait to put back in the case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

I’m guessing the Vintage didn’t come with a case..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Andy79 said:
    I’m guessing the Vintage didn’t come with a case..
    :)

Actually the PRS case was the best thing about it - a nice Liberty-print sort of thing, posh but not tasteless if you know what I mean...

The PRS was ridiculously overbuilt and heavy - I'm not sure I've ever picked up a heavier acoustic, apart possibly from one of those Garrisons with the GRP skeleton - and sounded like a not great Takamine. It felt lumpy and awkward to play too.

The Vintage, while clearly not as well-made or objectively 'good' in most ways, was just far nicer to play and more interesting-sounding.

The PRS did smell nicer though.

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Been saying similar for a while my Yamaha APX is awesome (£200 used) I play open mics locally and always get comments about how good it sounds. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Andy79 said:

I had a V300. Was as dull as dishwater.  Even with new strings a a damn good fettling in the hands of a good luthier. 

Must have had a bad one. I generally am a fan of Vintage Brand, but more so of their solid body electrics. 
    Bearing in mind it wasn’t a V300 I tried, cannot comment on those. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    TheMarlin said:
    Andy79 said:

I had a V300. Was as dull as dishwater.  Even with new strings a a damn good fettling in the hands of a good luthier. 

Must have had a bad one. I generally am a fan of Vintage Brand, but more so of their solid body electrics. 
    I have a vintage V300MH (all mahogany) with Martin retro Monel strings and its a fine sounding little thing. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Andy79 said:

Seems to me you were actually listening to the instrument, not the marketing hype. Good for you.
    For a while Tanglewood have been pushing the boundaries of affordable, but well made guitars using some lovely woods.

I have a Vintage v300 MH that I got for a song when they first were issued years ago.
    My luthier set it up for me & commented that he'd dressed the frets 'Martin' style, as it just seemed right to.
    Having played it back to back with a real Martin 00-15M, I honestly was surprised. My mate that owned the Martin, huffed & puffed for quite a while, but later admitted that he was very impressed by the £75 Vintage 'cheapo'.

I'd say you have VERY good taste  ;)  :)

Hi there I’d agree with the Tanglewood comments; I messed around with a TW73e model last week and for a sub 500 quid guitar was super impressed. Anyone else got a view on these guitars? Rick
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Ricster said:
    Andy79 said:

I'd say you have VERY good taste  ;)  :)

Hi there I’d agree with the Tanglewood comments; I messed around with a TW73e model last week and for a sub 500 quid guitar was super impressed. Anyone else got a view on these guitars? Rick
    I have a Tanglewood X15 NS that I bought a little over a year ago now, it is fantastic! Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, bone nut and saddle and Grover tuners. It is the most expensive acoustic I have ever bought at £650, I know that’s not a lot to some but to me that’s serious money! All I can say is it was well worth it. I played it in the shop and also got the sales lad to play it while I walked around to see how it sounded from a different perspective, it sounds lovely I couldn’t be happier with it. You get a serious amount of guitar for the money, don’t be put off by the “budget” name.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.