Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pink Floyd - The Later Years (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Remix of One slip:

The parping bass and gated drums at 2’50 ish and on the outro still place this squarely in the 80s. Didn’t really work for me. 
    I agree with you - it was never a great track in its original form. I like the Sorrow remix.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Remix of One slip:

The parping bass and gated drums at 2’50 ish and on the outro still place this squarely in the 80s. Didn’t really work for me. 
    I agree with you - it was never a great track in its original form. I like the Sorrow remix.
    Yes that worked better, I agree.
  • I came to Pink Floyd in what always seemed an odd route, and MLOR was the first album I bought as an impressionable teenager. I hadn’t listened to it for maybe twenty years before I bought a copy about six months ago, and I still love (most of) it. I’m not sure I’d say it was dated, but it is very much of is time.

Starting there didn’t do me any harm and I eventually worked my way backwards through their catalogue. I’d say that I enjoy all their eras, as different chapters of a long and peculiar story.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited November 2019 tFB Trader
    Yeah they have been releasing a load of cool stuff recently

Here they show you the difference between the original and remastered footage

• I find anything post Animals pretty tough going to be honest.

Roger Waters voice is nails on a blackboard for me.

The songwriting after he left was weak but im a sucker for Davey Gs playing so i'll take it lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddie said:
    Is it a cynical think to repackage, remix, and sell again?  I don't know. Floyd always seem reasonable chaps. They don't come across as greedy like the Rolling Stones and U2 (constantly overcharging for the same old tosh)
    Don't worry @FastEddie I am sure it will be available on ahem one of those ahem...sites :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really wish you didn't have to buy the whole box set to get the remastered version. No way I can justify the big set, will have to make do with the single CD.
    Can't they put all the albums on one blueray and be done with it and charge £30 !!!
    “Ken sent me.”
  • If anyone here buys the box set. Id donate some money (about 20 quid) to charity if they did me a copy of MLOR and a DVD of DSOT. Seminal moments in musical time and space for me, but I dont have £400 to drop on the damn thing
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    I seem to recall that it being nicknamed A Momentary Lapse of Genius. IMHO, certainly the worst of the post-Waters albums.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    HAL9000 said:
    I seem to recall that it being nicknamed A Momentary Lapse of Genius. IMHO, certainly the worst of the post-Waters albums.
    That's not much of a choice, but I think The Endless Drivel holds that title now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2019
    The Later year's expanded edition is now available on streaming platforms like Spotify and iTunes - no CD as yet.

It features a remixed Momentary lapse of reason, a remixed Delicate sound of thunder (that does sound less muddy) and some unleased tracks (some blues guitar from Gilmore) and early demos.

Worth a listen if you have a Spotify account.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Knebworth and Venice footage up on YouTube (for now)

https://www.youtube.com/user/HDPinkFloyd
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    ICBM said: The Gunner’s Dream is probably the best one on the album.
    I've fancied doing this at an open mic or something for absolutely ages, but the truth is I can't get through the second verse without my voice catching in my throat. It is resonant today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddie said:
    Is it a cynical think to repackage, remix, and sell again?  I don't know. Floyd always seem reasonable chaps. They don't come across as greedy like the Rolling Stones and U2 (constantly overcharging for the same old tosh)
    I agree, but at least something has changed so I can see the fans buying this. I'm with you on the Stones too. Not sure about U2 however, they have only ever done some nostalgic with the 2017 Joshua Tree tour. Can't think of a time when they attempted to hark back to the good old days other than playing the album in full on the JT tour.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    So they’ve finally started to split this and release the individual albums - Delicate Sound of Thunder released next month. Here’s hoping they don’t delay too much before getting the other albums out as well.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    MLOR is a Gilmour solo album really. Mason doesn't play on it, Wright at the time wasn't legally allowed to be in the band. In fairness though The final Cut (one of my favorite albums ) was a Waters solo album. Gilmour is a genius guitar player but Waters is a genius song writer. For me music is about a good song so I would rather listen to Waters. I'm glad I saw the MLOF tour in 88 though, it was of a scale not seen at the time but the attention to detail was astounding and the sound quality was amazing. 
    Have to say though I saw Gilmour at Koko in London, small venue and his was the  last band on. He played a few licks and instantly it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up so I will always listen to anything he puts out. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk