Ivor Mairants 15% off closing down sale....

What's Hot
greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 495
edited November 2019 in Acoustics
Thought this useful for anyone in the market for a new guitar, a 15% closing down sale at https://www.ivormairants.co.uk/shop-sale.html, use the IMMC15 code at checkout.... some nice Atkins there...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably need to re-mention this post! Just been down and bought a new guitar (post to follow soon!). But some of the sale prices are crazy. Played a beautiful Collings C10 Deluxe which is going for £4,250... good price considering the RRP etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    It's maybe worth including the Ivor Mairants name in the thread title?

Some great bargains there but it breaks my heart to see that shop go. Tragic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Jimbro66 said:

It really is :'( a lot of culture is being priced out of London
  • Jimbro66 said:

Yes good point
  • roberty said:
    Jimbro66 said:

It really is :'( a lot of culture is being priced out of London
    Indeed. I won’t lie, I’d not been there before, but was so impressed with the guitars they had... and they’ve sold a whole bunch of them since this sale. 
  • Ah man, what history. I’m just about to put up for sale a vintage Zenith Super Cutaway guitar signed by the man himself. Such a shame.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Sad! I bought my first acoustic (a cheapo Yamaha) there back in the 70's. I also think that they are currently the only UK stockists of Santa Cruz strings.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    This is particularly poignant for me as I worked at Ivor Mairants Musicentre for 4 years in the late 80s. Worked with some marvellous people, met many heroes and learnt loads. The current team are great and this will be another great store with history vanishing from the West End. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTC said:
    Sad! I bought my first acoustic (a cheapo Yamaha) there back in the 70's. I also think that they are currently the only UK stockists of Santa Cruz strings.
    https://fretsounds.co.uk/

Got a few Sets of SC strings from them recently after seeing IM won’t be around much longer. Good service and fast delivery, slightly cheeper too from memory. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    brucegill said:

https://fretsounds.co.uk/

Got a few Sets of SC strings from them recently after seeing IM won’t be around much longer. Good service and fast delivery, slightly cheeper too from memory. 
    Thanks for the info Bruce. I particularly like the SC Low Tension set on smaller-body guitars.

Still sad about Ivor Mairants though. I also remember back in the 70's their very helpful workshop coming to my rescue with an invisible repair of an antique banjo I had an accident with when loaning it from a friend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still have one of their own brand Masano guitars from the 80's
    I still have one of their own brand Masano guitars from the 80's
    They were great guitars :)
  • JCA2550 said:
    They were great guitars :)
    I believe they were made by S.Yairi
    edited November 2019
    JCA2550 said:
    They were great guitars
    I believe they were made by S.Yairi
    Yes, I think they were or K Yairi or Alvarez Yairi
    The same place, but from, admittedly faded memory
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Is this it ? Or are they going to re-open somewhere else ? (Looks like this is it tbh :( )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dcgdcg Frets: 228
    With the destruction of all the rehearsal rooms and studios behind Denmark Street, and the reinvention of a once-atmospheric street as some kind of tourist-led guitar theme park, the revelation that Ivor Mairants is closing is another blow to older players like myself who would spend an entire Saturday wandering around West End music stores.  The problem is that because of greedy landlords, those stores haven't been competitively priced for a long time.  And then there was the attitude of (some of) the staff - which isn't of course a problem with online sales.  The situation parallels the decline of music stores in Manhattan...and is sad.  Ivor Mairants was a music store opened by a musician, i.e. the way it should be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    dcg said:
    With the destruction of all the rehearsal rooms and studios behind Denmark Street, and the reinvention of a once-atmospheric street as some kind of tourist-led guitar theme park, the revelation that Ivor Mairants is closing is another blow to older players like myself who would spend an entire Saturday wandering around West End music stores.  The problem is that because of greedy landlords, those stores haven't been competitively priced for a long time.  And then there was the attitude of (some of) the staff - which isn't of course a problem with online sales.  The situation parallels the decline of music stores in Manhattan...and is sad.  Ivor Mairants was a music store opened by a musician, i.e. the way it should be.
    Attitude was never an issue with Ivor Mairants staff ......

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    dcg said:
    Attitude was never an issue with Ivor Mairants staff ......

Bloody was!   ;)

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    dcg said:
    The much lower margins on new instruments and the internet box shifters have also played a major part.

I think some landlords are living in cloud cuckoo land re rents.
  • jpfamps said:
    dcg said:
    The much lower margins on new instruments and the internet box shifters have also played a major part.

I think some landlords are living in cloud cuckoo land re rents.
    Do you know what will happen to the block?  I had a walk around recently and the block next to it has completely gone, bulldozed to the ground and I imagine new flats etc are coming soon as will do to the block where Ivors is.