Why don't I like my LP bridge pickup?

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2367
    The Pegasus is great - like a refined JB. Less flubby and less nasal but still a noticeable upper mids honk. I have a friend with a Pegasus/Sentient set in a Les Paul and it can do pretty much anything, provided you want that upper mid honk/cut.

Just found your thread on the BKP forum (coincidence, I'm not a stalker!) and it seems the consensus from the extra detail you've provided there is the Juggernaut. 

Just beware, the Juggernaut and the Pegasus are radically different pickups - Juggernaut is big, fat and tight, Pegasus brighter and more "traditional"/restrained but very clear.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited November 2019
    timmypix said:
    The Pegasus is great - like a refined JB. Less flubby and less nasal but still a noticeable upper mids honk. I have a friend with a Pegasus/Sentient set in a Les Paul and it can do pretty much anything, provided you want that upper mid honk/cut.

Just found your thread on the BKP forum (coincidence, I'm not a stalker!) and it seems the consensus from the extra detail you've provided there is the Juggernaut. 

Just beware, the Juggernaut and the Pegasus are radically different pickups - Juggernaut is big, fat and tight, Pegasus brighter and more "traditional"/restrained but very clear.
    Yeah the guitarist in the 3rd link (Chunk! No Captain, Chunk!) uses a Pegasus and its quite chunky! Its said to go with mahogany guitars really well too.

Ha well there's more posters on here (the BKP forum seems dead now) so more opinions!

I wonder if there's a pickup winder out there who can do a hybrid of the Juggernaut and Pegasus?! I like the warm mid-range of the BKP but the ballsyness of the SD chuggs!
  • Bung a tube screamer or a Boss Overdrive in front of your distorted amp, always tightens things up for me. I have a Les Paul Classic with burst buckers, sounds great for rock but doesn't have the tight low end for more modern stuff....until I introduce my Tube Screamer into the mix! 
  • Bung a tube screamer or a Boss Overdrive in front of your distorted amp, always tightens things up for me. I have a Les Paul Classic with burst buckers, sounds great for rock but doesn't have the tight low end for more modern stuff....until I introduce my Tube Screamer into the mix! 
    I use a TS9 live which works very well, have to still back off the high end though as its so trebley!
    I use a TS9 live which works very well, have to still back off the high end though as its so trebley!

Maybe try it in your effects loop pal? I always run into the front end but apparently you get a different tone through the loop. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Lestratcaster said:

Hmm similar output to a JB isn't it? More nastier I would think.
    No, it's much darker, thicker and tighter than a JB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Maybe try it in your effects loop pal? I always run into the front end but apparently you get a different tone through the loop. 
    I don't normally use it with my combo amp, have done a few times and its been alright.
  • ICBM said:
    Lestratcaster said:

Hmm similar output to a JB isn't it? More nastier I would think.
    No, it's much darker, thicker and tighter than a JB.
    Hmm, so maybe another option apart from the Pegasus, for palm mutes I like that "chock chock" type sound from them.
  • What amp are you using? I have an Epi Les Paul too with an alnico Nailbomb and its great in that. But that's not a metalcore drop tuned guitar, its usually in standard or drop d.

I haven't seen much of the Miracle Man set though I think its pretty high output.
    I use hx stomp into fx loop of marshall origin at the minute, use jcm 800 boosted with ts 9 times out of 10.  To be honest my I haven't tried loads of different types of pick ups so taking advice in board. So watching this thread with interest  :)
    Lestratcaster said:

Don't put an overdrive pedal in the FX loop, or any other distortion/fuzz/gain-type pedal. You risk causing a feedback loop and making the amp self-oscillate, which in rare cases can damage it. It usually sounds poor anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nath_R89 said:
    What amp are you using? I have an Epi Les Paul too with an alnico Nailbomb and its great in that. But that's not a metalcore drop tuned guitar, its usually in standard or drop d.

I haven't seen much of the Miracle Man set though I think its pretty high output.
    I use hx stomp into fx loop of marshall origin at the minute, use jcm 800 boosted with ts 9 times out of 10.  To be honest my I haven't tried loads of different types of pick ups so taking advice in board. So watching this thread with interest  :)
    Ah I see, well I'm still saving up for my Kemper so will be stuck with a real tube amp for a bit haha.

This particular guitar I've not found the right sound with yet hence why I've changed the bridge pickup out a few times and looking for something else now!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Have you tried something lower output like a BK Mule or Riff Raff (or Oil City alternative)? Sounds like you have enough gain and boost from the amp and pedals anyway. I used to play everything from blues to metal on my Mule’d LP, never had screechy high end and the low end was tight enough with a TS boosting.
  • TTBZ said:
    Have you tried something lower output like a BK Mule or Riff Raff (or Oil City alternative)? Sounds like you have enough gain and boost from the amp and pedals anyway. I used to play everything from blues to metal on my Mule’d LP, never had screechy high end and the low end was tight enough with a TS boosting.
    I did think about it but that was before my band broke up 3 months ago meaning I'm not using the 6505+ much anymore. Now I'm using a smaller combo amp I would imagine a higher output or thicker pickup would be what I need?
    The DSL5C has a pretty average speaker doesn’t it? Might get more out of a speaker swap before pickups?
  • TTBZ said:
    The DSL5C has a pretty average speaker doesn’t it? Might get more out of a speaker swap before pickups?
    Its a 12 inch something, maybe sometime in the future I'll play through the 6505+ again, I use an Orange PPC412 cabs with V30s.
  • You mentioned EMGs in your original post. The 81 would do what you want: I used to use 81/60 sets exclusively in my last band, tuned to drop C and they sound ****ing brilliant. The battery is no hassle; as long as you unplug your guitar when you've finished playing it'll last for literally years. Not sure that you can mix active & passive pickups in the same guitar though, so you might need to swap out the neck pickup at the same time - in which case I'd suggest a 60, or another 81.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• You mentioned EMGs in your original post. The 81 would do what you want: I used to use 81/60 sets exclusively in my last band, tuned to drop C and they sound ****ing brilliant. The battery is no hassle; as long as you unplug your guitar when you've finished playing it'll last for literally years. Not sure that you can mix active & passive pickups in the same guitar though, so you might need to swap out the neck pickup at the same time - in which case I'd suggest a 60, or another 81.
    Yeah I never really do any cleans or use the neck pickup so I only wanna replace the bridge - unless I take the neck pickup out completely.
    Yeah I never really do any cleans or use the neck pickup so I only wanna replace the bridge - unless I take the neck pickup out completely.
    Thinking about it, the neck & bridge pickups have separate volume & tone controls. The EMG needs a stereo jack socket for switching the battery on & off; presumably this would still work with the neck pickup, so there must be a way of doing it...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

You can mix active and passive without any extra circuitry if they have completely separate controls (a Les Paul does obviously) and you never want to use both together - you will get sound, but it will give you just the active pickup.

Another BKP to try might be the Black Dog. I had a set in my LP and that was probably my favourite guitar tone I’ve had. They also suggest the BD for heavier styles on their website so could be a good fit. For me it had a bit more character and punch than the Mules, a bit thicker with better attack for single string riffing but still not too hot or mushy.