SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Anyone use Blue Yeti to record practice sessions?

My mate has been offered a Blue Yeti mic quite cheaply. What he wants to use it for is record his rock band in practice sessions, using the omni pattern setting. 2 guitars, bass, drums and a PA for the voice. They arrange themselves in a circle when they practice, apparently, and play in a village hall. 

His question (if anyone knows) is about volume. Can he turn the volume down low enough on the mic so the signal won't clip the AD converter?

Anyone know? Ta! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, turning the gain down should be fine. However, omni is very roomy sounding to start with so he might end up sounding like the band are in a big reverby room. Preferably you'd use a 2 channel interface and 2 mics but.... the yeti pro has a figure 8 mode which will possibly be more useful than omni as it sounds tighter and you can then move sources nearer to or farther from the pickup "field" to get a better recorded balance. 
  • Yes, turning the gain down should be fine. However, omni is very roomy sounding to start with so he might end up sounding like the band are in a big reverby room. Preferably you'd use a 2 channel interface and 2 mics but.... the yeti pro has a figure 8 mode which will possibly be more useful than omni as it sounds tighter and you can then move sources nearer to or farther from the pickup "field" to get a better recorded balance. 
    Thanks. I'll pass it on. I guess he'll work out which option to use. The hall they play in is reverberant enough to my ears, but that's their problem. :-) 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    And to complete the circle. The mate ended up buying a Shure MV88. I liked it so much I went and did the same. I'm now experimenting with mid/side techniques and getting some good results.