Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you a guitar worth more than you paid for it?

What's Hot
When I was looking to buy my first British made guitar in 2007, from what I remember of prices when checking out the usual suspects :-  a Lowden cost £1600 now about £3000 , a Brook £1275 now £2450, a Fylde Falstaff £1775 now £3800  an Ariel or Orsino £1075 now £2500. 
   I know it is all relative, but anyone who bought a new guitar at this period would be able to sell it now and make quite a profit.......providing they didn't intend buying another guitar!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    An immaculate guitar will only sell for around 60% of new. So, you’d just about break even after 12 years. Guitars are NOT investments, especially if bought new. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll said:
    An immaculate guitar will only sell for around 60% of new. So, you’d just about break even after 12 years. Guitars are NOT investments, especially if bought new. 
    Shouty shouty, :) it's a valid question and they Can be investments, if bougnt 2nd hand and you get a bargain it's quite easy to make a bit in top, I have rarely lost money on guitars, (studio gear is another story).

Regarding new I bought a new strandberg and sold it 2 years later for more no its not as cut and dry as you say. 
  • If it's been through my hands, I can guarantee it's worth less than I paid for it. :-S
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2760
    edited November 2019
    When I was looking to buy my first British made guitar in 2007, from what I remember of prices when checking out the usual suspects :-  a Lowden cost £1600 now about £3000 , a Brook £1275 now £2450, a Fylde Falstaff £1775 now £3800  an Ariel or Orsino £1075 now £2500. 
       I know it is all relative, but anyone who bought a new guitar at this period would be able to sell it now and make quite a profit.......providing they didn't intend buying another guitar!

You've also got to factor in inflation.
    If you bought a Lowden for £1600 (new) in 2007... and sold it today for £1650, you'd be making a loss in real terms. One of the online inflation calculators suggests you'd have to sell it for £2,276 - just to break even.

That said, you'd have had the joy of owing the Lowden for 12 years... and there aren't many items that we buy that hold on to so much of their value when sold second hand.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    "Man maths" is amazing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    "Man maths" is amazing.
    Yeah.... very useful in convincing wives that guitars are one of the best investments known (to man).
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    I bought a crafter ga6 £125 brand new mid-late nineties from humbucker music in Leicester. Regularly see secondhand ones on eBay for 2-3 times that now. Whether they sell it not is a different matter I suppose.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    I have a limited edition union jack Epiphone Sheraton, complete with certificate, case etc. Bought for £400 used but immaculate.

Now they seem to go for £800+
  • When I was looking to buy my first British made guitar in 2007, from what I remember of prices when checking out the usual suspects :-  a Lowden cost £1600 now about £3000 , a Brook £1275 now £2450, a Fylde Falstaff £1775 now £3800  an Ariel or Orsino £1075 now £2500. 

You've also got to factor in inflation.
    If you bought a Lowden for £1600 (new) in 2007... and sold it today for £1650, you'd be making a loss in real terms. One of the online inflation calculators suggests you'd have to sell it for £2,276 - just to break even.

That said, you'd have had the joy of owing the Lowden for 12 years... and there aren't many items that we buy that hold on to so much of their value when sold second hand.
    You're  right! I did buy a Lowden (second hand though)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Where are the old rockers who bought Strats and LPs in the 50s?
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I sold a Guild F20 lefty I bought new for £175 for £800 in 2017. I bought it in 1975. Don't mention inflation  - it spoils it.

To me, even if you lose a bit when you sell a guitar on you would generally have enjoyed the experience of owning it and have learnt a lot in the process. You would have to pay more than the loss for getting that sort of enjoyment elsewhere. That's what I try to tell Mrs. GTC anyway.

BTW, when I last looked that very same Guild F20 lefty was for sale again on Reverb for over £1,000
  • I've got a Patrick Eggle Stratford Pro that I've had from new, paid £1099 for it ('92-'94 cant remember without looking at the paperwork) and it's immaculate. There's a shabby one optimistically on the market for £4500, if mines worth that i'll be happy! :)
  • My Masterbuilt '63 Jason Smith cost me (new) £2800 =)

Wow... when was that, Mr Waz?
  • Andy79 said:
    Still crying about swapping their 59 lespauls  or adding a floyde rose and emgs to their strats in the 70s 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited November 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Six feet under.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Andy79 said:
    Still crying about swapping their 59 lespauls  or adding a floyde rose and emgs to their strats in the 70s 
    Ain’t that the truth. I heard Craig Korth the other day talk of the guitars he had and sold in the early 80s, prices that would make you cry

Late 2014 or early 2015 :)

Late 2014 or early 2015 :)

You did well sir!
    I know MBs weren't up at £6.7k then (as many of them are now)... but that was still a great price in 14/15.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    My PRS Custom 24 10-top cost me £1299 new from Guitar Village

PRS 305 cost me £1k, Guitar Village offered me the same in trade in.  I am sure it will go for more if i sell.

PRS SC58, cost me £2k but honestly I can't price it because i will never sell it.

My Palir Titan cost me £1100 - They sell for £2500 on World Guitars.

Taylor T5 at sale for £1399.  I think a new one is £2500 so I won't lose much.

I think I paid about £2k for the Gibson Custom Shop Class 5.  It will go for at least that much I expect.

All in all, I would say I am in profit.