Not sure about this - don’t work up to picking speed , start with it Troy Grady

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    edited November 2019
    Serious sweeping 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought I’d chip in again on this thread - I’ve been learning a Petrucci solo, and doing what Troy talks about has really really helped with the speed. 

Got the thing under my fingers, and now just pushing faster “naturally” (without a metronome) and I do occasionally keep doing a clean run WAY faster - so I’m mechanically capable, just need to keep at it and figure out the issues. 

I’ve recorded a “before” video, and will throw up one once I’ve got the thing down. 

Just wanted to put up a note here for anyone in the same boat. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought I’d chip in again on this thread - I’ve been learning a Petrucci solo, and doing what Troy talks about has really really helped with the speed. 

Got the thing under my fingers, and now just pushing faster “naturally” (without a metronome) and I do occasionally keep doing a clean run WAY faster - so I’m mechanically capable, just need to keep at it and figure out the issues. 

I’ve recorded a “before” video, and will throw up one once I’ve got the thing down. 

Ace , thanks for the input . I’m currently working on the famous Paul Gilbert lick among others . I’m freakin slow though lol. Good for my outside picking 

Ace , thanks for the input . I’m currently working on the famous Paul Gilbert lick among others . I’m freakin slow though lol. Good for my outside picking 

• Fastonebaz shreds like a mother lolz . Btw love your Steve vai cover . Thanks man,  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    edited December 2019
    Separately, you could also try messing about with different picks. I've used the Jazz III Max-Grip ones for years, but thought I'd try out the new Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.0mm ones...they are that bit pointier with sloping edges....and do actually make a difference. I'll post a video if I get time. 

edit - I'm using these most of the time now, but we did a gig last weekend and the different feel of the pick and lack of grip threw me off so much I had to switch back to the Jazz IIIs half-way through!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    One of Troy’s essential piece of advice is to experiment with different movements, wrist angles, pick grips etc until you find one that feels natural
    Once you find the right one for you, some difficult licks or runs almost magically become easy and fast.
    I’ve found that it’s great advice. If you can play something quite fast but a bit sloppy straight away then you’re on the right track.
    If it feels like speeding up seems impossible and will take months then it’s probably never going to work well with that particular approach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysander said:
    One of Troy’s essential piece of advice is to experiment with different movements, wrist angles, pick grips etc until you find one that feels natural
    Once you find the right one for you, some difficult licks or runs almost magically become easy and fast.
    I’ve found that it’s great advice. If you can play something quite fast but a bit sloppy straight away then you’re on the right track.
    If it feels like speeding up seems impossible and will take months then it’s probably never going to work well with that particular approach.
    I’m currently experimenting with how I hold the pick after years of barely having any of the tip showing , I’m finding with licks like the Gilbert lick  which has lots of outside picking that I’m favouring a slight upward pick slant. Also there isn’t unorthodox way I hold it that seems really efficient but is not much use for general playing. Can’t really describe it  though

Just stumbled across the following from John Petrucci's warm-up regimen:

"

Petrucci’s ‘hit and miss’ philosophy

John has a clever way of building speed - he calls it his “hit and miss philosophy”.

The idea is that you play faster than you are capable, and, rather than thinking about hitting each individual note, you think about keeping your hands in sync.

As John says: “I wouldn’t recommend you do it all the time, but it’s a useful tool and you can gain a lot of speed from it.”

Try applying John’s ‘hit and miss’ method to his arpeggio exercises. After you’ve done five minutes of controlled practice with a metronome, finish off by blasting through the pieces at high speed.

At first, you’ll probably miss more notes than you hit, but the point is to let your hands experience the ‘feeling’ of moving fast. At some point your hands will hopefully synchronise."

Seems to line up very well with what Troy talks about!

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/learn-john-petruccis-ultimate-guitar-warm-up-routine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank’s that’s great advice , I’ve done a screenshot to save it for later .
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    DLM said:
    I will say this: make sure you really know the notes and can play them before you start cranking tempi.

to add to this great piece of advice..
    also make sure you fingerings are absolutely nailed [some folks don't use exactly the same fingerings for a lick or exercise every time], and also the picking patterns are absolutely consistent..
    essentially, know what you are doing so thoroughly that nothing changes as you increase the tempo..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • This is great advice for single string ascending and descending stuff too where you are sliding to the next position
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I thought I’d chip in again on this thread - I’ve been learning a Petrucci solo, and doing what Troy talks about has really really helped with the speed. 

"

John has a clever way of building speed - he calls it his “hit and miss philosophy”.

The idea is that you play faster than you are capable, and, rather than thinking about hitting each individual note, you think about keeping your hands in sync.

As John says: “I wouldn’t recommend you do it all the time, but it’s a useful tool and you can gain a lot of speed from it.”

Try applying John’s ‘hit and miss’ method to his arpeggio exercises. After you’ve done five minutes of controlled practice with a metronome, finish off by blasting through the pieces at high speed.

At first, you’ll probably miss more notes than you hit, but the point is to let your hands experience the ‘feeling’ of moving fast. At some point your hands will hopefully synchronise."

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/learn-john-petruccis-ultimate-guitar-warm-up-routine
    That’s the Shawn Lane approach and iirc correctly it’s the way Andre Agassi used to work on his fast serve 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I’ve always been discouraged from this approach on the basis that repeatedly rushing a piece and making errors would amount to learning it wrong.

I might give it a try though as I’ve never done well on the fast playing front.
  • sweepy said:
    I thought I’d chip in again on this thread - I’ve been learning a Petrucci solo, and doing what Troy talks about has really really helped with the speed. 

"

That’s the Shawn Lane approach and iirc correctly it’s the way Andre Agassi used to work on his fast serve 
    That’s right about Agassi 
  • So doing more forum scraping I found this too : 

https://youtu.be/6Ft6p6dqWWY

same thing, with a bit more practical advice. 

Will be trying this later!