Random scale generator

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5596
Is there an app or website that will generate a random scale for practise purposes?

I want something that will, after pressing a button, tell me "play b flat harmonic minor in X position" and then if I need it tell me what/where to play. Then hit the button again and it generates a new random scale to play.

Does such a thing exist?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    edited November 2019
    Just do what I used to do, write the keys on pieces of paper, and the scales on other pieces, then just shake them in separate containers and pull out one from each. I used to use empty casette boxes for this. OLD SCHOOL!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Play along to Alan Holdsworth!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I made a spreadsheet that randomly generated this. You could also visit your nearest DnD shop and pickup some fancy dice to do this too (d8 for key, d6 for accidentals, d20 for scales, d8 for positions?)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    danowens said:
    I made a spreadsheet that randomly generated this. You could also visit your nearest DnD shop and pickup some fancy dice to do this too (d8 for key, d6 for accidentals, d20 for scales, d8 for positions?)

@danowens, Ah, never thought about doing it via a spreadsheet, that's a brilliant idea.

Did you use VBA or something more straightforward?  If you fancy sharing your code I'd be interested to see how you achieved this.  I've not done anything with VBA for a long time, perhaps this is the ideal excuse to delve back into it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• NHaych said:

@danowens, Ah, never thought about doing it via a spreadsheet, that's a brilliant idea.

Did you use VBA or something more straightforward?  If you fancy sharing your code I'd be interested to see how you achieved this.  I've not done anything with VBA for a long time, perhaps this is the ideal excuse to delve back into it.

I'll try and find it for you but I did it using really simple formulae. A column for tonic (including ALL accidentals including enharmonic ones), a column for scale/chord type, and the output. Now I'm getting a bit more into coding I reckon I could do something a bit more swish, but I realised that I didn't need anything more fancy, I needed to practice the bloody guitar!!!!