Tele control plate reversed.

What's Hot

I've just bought a Tele that's had the control plate reversed and I want it put back to the original position.

Is this an easy fix I could do myself? I'm not too keen on soldering to be honest.

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    5 minute job and pretty foolproof
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    sweepy said:
    5 minute job and pretty foolproof

So no soldering involved?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    It depends how it's been wired and whether there's enough slack in the wiring to swap the positions of the pots and switch without having to undo anything. Usually there is, but if the switch has been connected to the tone pot first and then the volume, there might not be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It depends how it's been wired and whether there's enough slack in the wiring to swap the positions of the pots and switch without having to undo anything. Usually there is, but if the switch has been connected to the tone pot first and then the volume, there might not be.

Thanks @ICBM I'll take it off when I get home and have a look.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited December 2019
    If it’s been swapped from standard to reversed then the wires will already have been lengthened as it’s only the hot output from the switch that needs modding usually 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    Reversed is the way it should have been in the first place, with the volume control at the 'front'.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

sweepy said:
    If it’s been swapped from standard to reversed then the wires will already have been lengthened as it’s only the hot output from the switch that needs modding usually 
    It has been swapped from standard, so it should be ok.
    Rocker said:
    Reversed is the way it should have been in the first place, with the volume control at the 'front'.  

Quite a few people have said that, but I've been playing Teles for so long with standard controls this is confusing me.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Rocker said:
    Agreed. Leo didn’t get everything right. I know that he consulted guitarists at the time, and they were wrong too
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Tele's are fine as they were designed. I have never had a problem with the controls. Reversed just looks WRONG!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    With the controls in the original positions, it should be possible to rest your picking hand over the bridge saddles for palm muting, your second finger can roll the volume knob and your little finger can roll the tone pot.

Instant Speedy West, Roy Buchanan and Greg Koch stunts. :)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    I just bash the knob the whole time when it's there :). Even the switch is a problem... but it's still better that way round.

The other problem with it reversed is that you can't just quickly knock the switch (intentionally) from neck to bridge with the side of your hand when you want to suddenly boost your solo sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've put it back to normal and it's fine. Thanks for the comments, it suits me the original way.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    I just bash the knob the whole time when it's there :). Even the switch is a problem... but it's still better that way round.

The other problem with it reversed is that you can't just quickly knock the switch (intentionally) from neck to bridge with the side of your hand when you want to suddenly boost your solo sound.

This came up before @ICBM ; but the use of a toggle switch to take the volume control out of circuit is an effective way of boosting your solo sound.  Simply set the solo sound, engage the switch to enable the volume control and use the volume control to set the level of your rhythm playing.  It works for all three selector switch settings and ought to be standard on most guitars......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:

This came up before @ICBM ; but the use of a toggle switch to take the volume control out of circuit is an effective way of boosting your solo sound.  Simply set the solo sound, engage the switch to enable the volume control and use the volume control to set the level of your rhythm playing.  It works for all three selector switch settings and ought to be standard on most guitars......
    I don’t want to do that - I want to quickly swap from a neck to a bridge sound, not to increase the volume. I like to have a deliberately more aggressive, midrangy bridge pickup so it acts a bit like an overdrive pedal. (I never use a clean boost pedal either.)

You would also have to find somewhere to drill a hole for the switch.