Which affordable but solid 4 string?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    edited December 2019
    I might be depping for a band on bass soon (gigs are already booked) so reading this with interest. I have a Samick Fairlane at home but fancy something a bit meatier. I was looking at the Sub Ray 4 earlier, I think it looks/sounds great for the money but being a guitarist I don't know much about budget bass options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    DiscoStu said:
    I was looking at the Sub Ray 4 
    The Indonesian-made S.U.B. Ray4 was one of those no-brainer choices, playable straight out of the box. (Like the original spec Squier VM Jazz Bass from the same factory.) In the longer term, some of its parts might benefit from upgrading but not immediately.

Regrettably, in an attempt to keep the price down, the S.U.B. Ray4 is now made in China. The ones I have seen and handled are inferior to the Indonesian ones.

Buy used.

DiscoStu said:
    Samick Fairlane
    Which exact variant? You might be able to get what you need by upgrading its pickup(s), controls and bridge. The overall build quality will be roughly equivalent to the old S.U.B.

Be seeing you.
  • DiscoStu said:
    I might be depping for a band on bass soon (gigs are already booked) so reading this with interest. I have a Samick Fairlane at home but fancy something a bit meatier. I was looking at the Sub Ray 4 earlier, I think it looks/sounds great for the money but being a guitarist I don't know much about budget bass options.
    What's your budget? I might be looking to move on my Ibanez SR500 4-string as I'm perilously close to pulling the trigger on a 5-string version. Would be willing to sell for £300. 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-sr500-soundgear-4-string-bass-brown-mahogany
    edited December 2019
    DiscoStu said:
    I was looking at the Sub Ray 4 
    The Indonesian-made S.U.B. Ray4 was one of those no-brainer choices, playable straight out of the box. (Like the original spec Squier VM Jazz Bass from the same factory.) In the longer term, some of its parts might benefit from upgrading but not immediately.

Regrettably, in an attempt to keep the price down, the S.U.B. Ray4 is now made in China. The ones I have seen and handled are inferior to the Indonesian ones.

Buy used.

DiscoStu said:
    Samick Fairlane
    Which exact variant? You might be able to get what you need by upgrading its pickup(s), controls and bridge. The overall build quality will be roughly equivalent to the old S.U.B.

Mine's the FN-4V. Really nice bit of kit but maybe just a bit tame for the grunge/punk thing I might be getting involved with. I won't be changing anything until I know that it's a band I'm going to continue with.

Here's my Fairlane (stock pic), can you get meatier pickups for this style?

https://media.mydukkan.com/image/29270/Samick.SamickGregBennettFairlaneFN429270.jpg

What you have there is regular Jazz Bass type circuit - passive single coil pickups, controlled by individual volume pots and a master treble roll off tone control. 

It is possible to directly retrofit pickups of higher output, pickups that are noise-cancelling, active pickups (louder and noise-cancelling) and/or active EQ controls for increased tonal variety.

During your prospective band’s probational period, you can probably extract beefier sounds from the Fairlane by means of a compressor pedal or rack.
    Be seeing you.
    edited December 2019
    Cheers @Funkfingers. I've been looking at the SD Quarter Pound set tonight, maybe worth upgrading to anyway, regardless of how/if this band thing goes.
    I've got Zoom B3 which I've been playing around with tonight, it sounds pretty decent with the Muff settings on, it's just when I switch them off that the dry tone sounds weak and floppy.
    I really need to get my head round multifx cos a lot of the solutions are probably in there. Same goes for my G3X for guitar.

That Ray 4 does look tasty though!
  • DiscoStu said:
    A friend has a Sub and it's a good bass. It did require a replacement of the circuit board though after the active cicuit shorted and burned the board.

He recently bought a cheap Harley Benton Musicman-style bass (around £150) for his busking band and said he thinks it's better than the Sub. I did a bit of fettling of the Harley Benton last week (didn't need much, just a tweak of the truss rod and some filing/rounding of the fingerboard/fret ends for feel. It was pretty good 'out of the box') and it's a decent bass.
    DiscoStu said:
    I've been looking at the SD Quarter Pound set tonight, maybe worth upgrading to anyway, regardless of how/if this band thing goes.
    Your money, your decision. 

I confess that I am not the greatest fan of SD QP pickups for any instrument. 
    Be seeing you.
    DiscoStu said:
    I've been looking at the SD Quarter Pound set tonight, maybe worth upgrading to anyway, regardless of how/if this band thing goes.

What would you suggest?
    I suggest that you begin by measuring the length of the plastic cover of each pickup. This will determine which replacement pickups can fit the routs without modification.
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Whatever the OP buys, play it for a while to see what it's weaknesses is/are.  Don't just throw money at it, buying replacement pickups etc., unless such replacements are needed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got a spare Squier Affinity Precision; it's good for what it is and the neck is thin.
    I'm in it for £60...
    Rocker said:
    Don't just throw money at it, buying replacement pickups etc., unless such replacements are needed.
    My mention of replacement pickups relates to the thread starter (possibly) modifying the Samick Fairlane that he already owns. This might prove less expensive than spending money on a second bass guitar.

prowla said:
    I've got a spare Squier Affinity Precision; it's good for what it is and the neck is thin.
    By thin, do you mean narrow or shallow? 
    Be seeing you.
  • DiscoStu said:

I have a QP in my heavily upgraded p-bass and I think it sounds great, but then I am using it for punk/grunge and often with loads of fuzz.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Just to follow this up I never ended up buying anything but still have the PJ hanging around til I get something else to fill the wall hanger. The 2nd guitarist ended up leaving the band so I’ve managed to go into that role and found a dedicated bassist which is much better than my root note plodding. Now I can spend money on fun guitar stuff again :)